1 Pico TO RULE THEM ALL ( >0.5g )

Discussion in 'Nano and Pico reef systems' started by BadOmen, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    Like I said... They're opinions and valid advice, respectively.

Key words, dear: so far. I'm glad you got yourself an RO/DI system.

2. hypertech

hypertech East Coast Chapter President
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Respect is earned. DG has earned it. If you want respect and not "insolent" comments, perhaps a better approach would be to earn a little instead of jabbing at those who are well respected.

3. Alunai

Fishies collected:
    +1. Well said.

4. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I apologized. Yes I was making fun of it at the time. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that the linked thread was yours. Just thought it was another link to someones attempt to have the smallest nano. Knowing your under age and limited budget I wouldn't have said such a thing if I had figured out it was yours prior to the comments.

I don't see how you can get past the heat and flow issue. You have to have at least some equipment to sustain can't just be a small box of water. With wintertime coming up I can't imagine being able to keep it at 72 unless your parents keep the house nice and toasty 24/7.

Topoff is an easy one, just a air tight inverted bottle ( maybe even as small as a medicine bottle ) with airline out the bottom. Essentially like an IV BAG will work. The end of the airline mouted right at the water level. When enough evaporates to allow air inside the bottle fresh water will come out. The old school topoff method just a smaller scale. Once you get a light you could possibly hang behind to hide it.

#44 David Grigor, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  5. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Just cause someone has been respected in the past doesn't give them an excuse in the future.

I know you apologized, I was just trying to make a point to Alunai.

That's a pretty good idea because water evaporates from that thing inn no time.

6. Matt D.

Matt D. TCMAS Free Thinker

Fishies collected:
    You do not understand. David Grigor has been a reef keeper for many years (10+?) and is very very successful. All of these people have been around the block, they know what works and what doesn't. Everything they've told you so far I agree with completely.

You are setting yourself up for failure. Why reinvent the wheel and learn the hard way when they're telling you how to be successful from the start?

You are failing to heed everyone's advice. We do not enjoy saying, "I told you so." Please reconsider your actions and doing the right thing.

7. Alunai

Fishies collected:
    :rotflmao: Has been? DG is a well respected member, past and present.

:confused: There was no point to be made or argued. :laugh:

In any case, this little tank will be a big endeavor. Hopefully all goes well and you are willing and able to follow the advice that seasoned veterans give you.

Great advice on the ATO, David! :biggthumpup:

8. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    People have to earn respect of each member, just cause they are highly respected in whole doesn't mean everyone respects them.

well there was when I mis-read your comment :rotflmao:

This is something new I'm trying out, people won't always have the answer(or at least the correct one). I don't know many people who specialize in .5g tanks, but I will listen to any advice pertaining to the tank.

9. Matt D.

Matt D. TCMAS Free Thinker

Fishies collected:
    Just because it's a very small tank doesn't mean the same rules don't apply, and if anything they apply even more. The smaller a tank is the more susceptible it is to change. Temperature will change faster, chemistry will change faster. Consistency and stability is key to a successful reef aquarium, and small aquariums make that even more difficult.

10. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm taking my ideas from the Freshwater ideology of Establishing mechanical free eco-systems, this can't be related to a 180g besides the point of WCs.

11. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    Those heat pads for reptile and such might work for heating from underneath as long as you get set the temp with sometype of controller or find a preset. Our sons little hermit crab tank had one but I think it gets too hot and would need to control it which brings costs associated with making it work.

I did like the aqualifter closed loop idea from others but it may still be too little flow.

A little DIY 2 LED ( if you know how to solder ) could easily light it. You could use a heatsink from an old cpu and suspend it over. At $2 each for the LEDs the only thing to cost/research would be the cheapest powersupply that would work for just a couple leds.

With light, topoff, heat, flow it could work but realistically the minute you take your eyes off it for a day or two it would probably crash if you had coral in it. You might need to stick everything back in the sump then reassemble when back from vacations. Kinda brings back to full circle the whole point though if you have to take it down then whats the point other than just to say you have a .5

#51 David Grigor, Sep 10, 2012
  12. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I thought you weren't suppose to use Reptile Heat pads on aquariums? (Although I might be mistaken).

Aqualifter closed loop? I don't remember someone mentioning that, could you explain how you do it and what it does?

I like the idea, I don't think I have a way to solder it though :/

True, if this doesn't work everything is immediately going back into the 10g and the project will be scraped. This may eventually turn into a Nano build once the 20L is finished and once I sell off the shrimp and moss in my 5g.

13. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    Aqualifter as a circulation pump. Stick airline tube down in the tank to suck the water, with aqualifter hidden behindthe tank. The make shift a return nozzle out of some rigid tubing or maybe even a bendable kids straw from the $ store to pump the water back into the tank.

The little 4w zoomed mentions glass "Peel adhesive paper off back of heater and stick to the bottom gently rub heater to make firm contact with the bottom glass. " but it alone may get too warm and need to find some type of controller for it.

If you researched the driver and find an cheap one for 2 leds, I'm sure you can find someone nearby that can solder it for you. It's a nice thing to know for future projects as well so I'd recommend watching them do it.

#53 David Grigor, Sep 10, 2012
  14. SmnParish

SmnParish CEO of my frag tank

Fishies collected:
    Use an aqualifter and plumb it into your ten gallon:agree:

15. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I feel what's being missed here, as is in most tanks, is picking a section of reef one is trying to replicate and stick with that. Match the enviroment (temp/flow/water quality) with the speciems which thrive in those enviroments. For example, trying to keep Ventralis Anthias (prefer cooler temps, ~ 72-74) with a Stichodactyla gigantea Anemone (prefer warmer temps, ~ 83-85) is just never going to work.

Find some species which live in the 1-5ft range of the ocean, stuff which handles massive swings in temps and water quality. Tidal pool stuff etc.

16. Alunai

Fishies collected:
    Sound advice, Marty. :agree: :biggthumpup:

17. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    That's exactly what I'm going for. A little chunk of a Lagoon.

I'm also doing this in my new 20L in a different kind of way (instead of an up/down reef I'm going for a Side-Side which is more natural).

Also I will have to look into how hardy lagoon specimens can be. Cause down in the tropics temperature swings probably wont be as drastic.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone! (especially David)

18. SmnParish

SmnParish CEO of my frag tank

Fishies collected:
    You could collect microscopic organisms from deep ocean volcanoes for this pico, they would thrive!

19. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    But the volcanoes generate heat. . . and nowhere in the ocean is as cold as Minnesota :laugh: (except for last winter....if you could call it that).

20. Alunai

Fishies collected:
    :brainoverload: Wut?

Have you been to the bottom of the ocean? :doh: 1-4 degrees Celsius. Under water and in pitch black, that's worse than what we've got. :laugh: I'm just saying.

#60 Alunai, Sep 10, 2012