1 year update

Discussion in 'Young reefing forum' started by ConnorG, Jan 23, 2013.

1. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    I really want to change powerheads as I have had numerous problems with my korilias, I have had many many caps break and then end up ruining the whole unit. I have had tk email them multiple times a month and I am fed up so I am thinking of Tunze or Vortechs.... I have heard great things about both but don't know what to get.....it seems to be about the same price for both when you factor in the wave controller on the tunze.

What is your opinion? Either a mp10 and an mp40 or 2 tunze 6055 and a wave maker controller.

2. cubetankguy

cubetankguy its hip to be square

Fishies collected:
    i have tunzes on my cube... hate the cords in the tank... will be switching them out

3. LowersMyBP

LowersMyBP I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    75G is a 'smaller' tank, I would use the vortechs to minimize the amount of used up space in the tank. Downside is the wart on the outside and they can be noisier than the tunze's. When I had a 75G, I just ran two mp10's. When I moved to 180G, I bought two mp40's. I've never owned a tunze, but I like the low profile in the tank that the vortechs provide. I know others that love their tunzes because they are super quiet and they can adjust the flow up/down and left/right.

It may well come down to what you find at an affordable price first or your personal aesthetic preference. This debate has been had a number of times... it is similar to "mac or pc", depends on the user. Hope you like whatever you decide to get. You likely will.

Of course, two of the guys I know that have been doing this the LONGEST..they still just use modded maxi jets..or they did when I was to their homes last.

4. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    So would I need 2 mp10s or an mp10 and and an mp40?

5. LowersMyBP

LowersMyBP I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    You can 'get away' with two mp10's. One of each is better, two mp40's is best, particularly if you think you will ever upgrade (MP10's cannot necessarily be used on 1/2" glass)

I ran two mp10's. My return line was split in two so that I could direct my flow in two directions to compensate.

6. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    If I got an mp40, wouldn't I just be running it at 50%? Would it be the same as running an mp10 at 100%?

7. cubetankguy

cubetankguy its hip to be square

Fishies collected:
    id run an mp40 at a lower speed than a 10 at full speed... more adjustability

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    So today I was looking at the tank and was wondering if I could add a couple more fish. I opted to add minimal rock work and keep most of it in the sump, therefore there is a lot if open swimming room in the dt. Right now I currently have 9 fish:
    1 Tailspot blenny
    1 Randals goby
    Pair of buck shot clowns
    1 Purple fire fish
    1 Lyretail anthias (the other died shortly after I added them)
    1 vermiculate leopard wrasse (eating mysis)
    1 scooter blenny (eating mysis)
    1 royal grama
    Most of the fish are not "open water" swimming fish meaning the don't swim in the open areas of the tank they just stick near the bottom or near the rocks. My question is, what fish could I add that will fill in those empty areas? IE schooling fish
    I have a skimmer rated for 150 gallons and I thought I would be ok adding a few smaller fish as long as I watch my nutrients.

What do you think? Can I even add any more? If so what are your recommendations?

Thanks,
    Connor

9. zakroctj

zakroctj Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Maybe a few more anthias? A wrasse would liven thinks up.

10. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    How many more? I was going to get a male and lee told me that with just 1 make and 1 female the female will be beaten up on very very badly. How many more can I add? Would 2 females and 1 male be a good choice? Also will it be a bad idea to add them after this one female has been in there for a few months already?

11. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    After a few more months and rearranging the rocks this is what I have been set on for a while now. Corals are growing like mad especially the birds nest, montipora's and chalices!

Sorry for the glare:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FTS:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  12. oceanautumn123

Fishies collected:
  13. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Are you still considering more anthias?
    I noticed you added some chromis to swim in the open water.

If you really would like to try more anthias, I would add at least two more females.
    When I added three females into my 120gal, it took a few months before the largest female began to change into the male.
    I would think that your established female would readily assume dominance and change into your male. By adding a new male, I would think that the established female and male would fight more than establish a dominance.
    Choosing two or more new females that are also smaller than your female will also help direct the established female to change.

My male anthias will only bother the two female anthias, but nothing serious. Just every few minutes he will dart after the females to show that he is still the boss. There's never been any physical aggression as far as bites or bumps.
    I was concerned about the male chasing after my leopard wrasses, but he doesn't pay them any attention.

Good luck.
    Tank is looking really good.
    Did you lose your brain (coral)? ;)

14. OP
    ConnorG

Fishies collected:
    I'm still thinking about that. It depends on the butterfly fish and my decision.....thanks for the information though!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2