3 Foot Nano Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by eschulist, Mar 2, 2012.

1. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Live Stream (Currently OFFLINE)

[​IMG]

Latest Video
    Jan 2016

Youtube Channel
    12 Gallon Nano

Room Picture
    [​IMG]

Full Tank Shot Archive

Nov 2015

[​IMG]

Sept 2015
    [​IMG]

Jan 2015
    [​IMG]

April 2014
    [​IMG]

Jan 2014
    [​IMG]

Aug 2013
    [​IMG]

May 2013
    [​IMG]

Feb 2013
    [​IMG]

Dec 2012
    [​IMG]

Aug 2012
    [​IMG]

Mid May 2012
    [​IMG]

Early May 2012
    [​IMG]

Mid April 2012
    [​IMG]

Early April 2012

[​IMG]

March 2012

[​IMG]

Equipment 1.0

[​IMG]

Tank:
    Mr. Aqua 12G Long (35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4")

Stand:
    Elite Industries Tall-Boy TV Stand

Lighting:
    Currently using
    Aquasunrise AquaPro LED
    4 Channels - Blues, Whites, Colors (Red, Green, Violet, UV), Cyan
    9 Setpoints throughout the day
    Ramps up in the morning with just blue/cyan, peaks to bright white midday, and then slowly dims back down to blue/violet.

First 2 years were using a generic 36" LED Light
    12 x 3 Watt Cree XP R4
    12 X 3 Watt Royal Blue
    Wire Suspension Hanging Kit

Overflow:
    Dual 1"JT Bulkhead Screens http://www.amazon.co...l...9509&sr=8-2
    Inverse Threaded Elbows into 1" Bulkheads for low profile.
    Sump:
    Aqueon 10 gallon
    200 Micron Sock stuffed with Polyfill
    BRS Dual Reactor
    Biopellets in camber one - ROX .08 Carbon in camber two (No more GFO)
    Cobalt NeoTherm 75w Heater
    Eheim 1260 Return Pump
    50 ml BRS Dosing Pump on digital timer for calculated topoff with Kalk

Rock:
    Bulk Reef Supply Pukani

Substrate:
    Aragonite Flamingo Reef Sand

No Skimmer
    No Powerheads

Equipment 2.0 (Still In Progress)

[​IMG]

Tank:

Mr. Aqua 12G Long Low Iron (35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4")

Stand:
    Custom Built Black Walnut Stand (Designed by me, built by @jlanger )
    Black Granite Top

Lighting:
    Custom Nano-Box Quad with Apex Control

Overflow:
    Dual 1"JT Bulkhead Screens http://www.amazon.co...l...9509&sr=8-2
    Inverse Threaded Tees into 1" Bulkheads for low profile.

Formufit Orange PVC plumbing. Large radius bends done with metal springs and heatgun.

Herbie/Scorch style overflow with full siphon alteration on one drain, trickle on the second.

Sump:
    Custom sized Zero Edge Series 7 Sump
    Custom ATO and Two Part Dosing Containers
    200 Micron Sock 7" Short Socks
    Custom Dual Mini Reactor
    Biopellets in camber one - ROX .08 Carbon in camber two (No more GFO)
    Cobalt NeoTherm 75w Heater
    Jabeo DCP-5000 Return Pump
    Neptune Systems Apex
    Neptune Systems DOS
    Neptune Systems ATK

#1 eschulist, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Tank Arrives

[​IMG]

Steve checking out the new tank
    [​IMG]

Ready to swim with the fishes?
    [​IMG]

Bulk Reef Supply Delivery

[​IMG]

3. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    A main goal of this tank is clean sleek design. So I went with a rimless unusual sized tank. This makes for a few interesting obstacles to overcome. The first was lighting this tank. I really wanted to either go Bubble Tip Anemones, or SPS corals. So that meant lots of lighting power greater than my previous tank which used 50/50 compact fluorescents.

So the new thing is LEDs which weren't popular or powerful enough when I started my 5.5 originally. So after a few days of searching I had to make a decision that both fit into powerful and clean aesthetics. Originally I liked the design of the Marineland fixture but from enough research found even the Reef version to be lacking in light. The Radions and SOLs were nice but for a long skinny tank they don't really work. So I found something similar to the Marineland light without breaking the bank. It is a Chinese made fixture using CREE LEDs in a 50/50 balance. I didn't really want to buy off Alibaba but luckily there is ebay and American sellers that buy them in bulk and sell them locally. The gentleman was even nice enough to let me negotiate the price and even customize the balance of LEDs.

When purchasing I asked to have the hanging kit included. When it arrived a few days later it was no where to be found, and the light was without holes or eyelets to hang. I contacted the seller and he said I could ship it back and he would make sure I got the correct one I ordered. But with me shipping and him shipping and the hassle involved I persuaded him to refund me $30. Approx $15 shipping each way + the kit. I then emailed him a few hanging kits available online and manly of them were around $30 so he agreed to refund me that amount since that item was not included.

A few days later I joined in on the BRS Group Buy that was happening and ordered the items above as well as their suspension light hanging kit (With discount come out to be about $25) So I was happy. Now I just have to drill some holes and tap them for the kit. Should be fun......

4. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Ok so plumbing the tank.

With this being a rimless tank and me trying to stick to the clean design I decided that nothing was going to be on the rim of the tank. And almost nothing equipment wise should be in the tank was well.

So looking for options I first was going to do an external overflow, but after seeing the builds that people did each of them had issues. Adding an external box doesn't allow you to paint the back of the tank first. When you silcone the box to the back it is then sticking to paint, not glass so its going to eventually fail. Painting the back after attaching the box leaves a visible outline when viewed from the inside of tank. The best option is using an entire piece of black acrylic for the inside of the tank and then attaching the box to the back of the unpainted glass.

The next option that I liked even more was the Xaqua and Oceanlife overflows. However they are hard to find in the US, and the supplier that had them no longer imports them.

I looked into having them shipped from the UK but for the cost of the plastic and shipping I had to reconsider.

So, here is my plan. Please critique and give me feedback on what you think. I may have to do something that isn't really done often, but someone had to be the first person to make the Mame, Durso, Herbie, etc.
    The design will be similar to the upturned elbow drain.

It is a fairly simple design pretty much copying the X-InOut.

Here is the product.
    [​IMG]

And the drilling diagram
    [​IMG]

So its basically a fancy 1" bulkhead (42mm hole) with a built in weir and a 1/2" return (30mm hole) with a pulsing effect.
    My plan is to use regular 1" bulkheads covered with slotted covers and then use the LSS Labratory Mini Water Accelerators for the return. (Marine Depot says they are getting the Mini version soon, but I feel like they are using the Blizzard soon[sup]tm[/sup] and it will push my build out for a while.) I ordered a few small pieces of locline so I can use that it they are available.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Video of the LSS Laboratory Wave Accelerators if you haven't seen them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=hujvbfIGFww

Now where to put them? My thinking was putting them on the back of the tank is fine as I can hide everything if I paint the back black. Problem is the returns. With the locline or mini accelerator the returns are blasting very close to the front of the tank with it being so narrow. Other option is to put them on the end and then the returns push water along the entire length of the tank. I'm kinda leaning towards this as it lets me keep the back completely clean and allows me to keep it clear, or at a later date add frosted or black backgrounds whenever I feel like it. This just has the issue of showing the plumbing on the sides of the tank. To keep it as clean as possible I tried to find "low profile" bulkhead elbows but almost every online plumbing store has them as discontinued, or they have low stock in blue or white.

Picture of a discontinued elbow I would have liked, in black.
    [​IMG]

Bulkhead locations (They will be drilled through the tank, they are resting on the top to visualize placement)
    [​IMG]
    Side placement. Back left unpainted with nothing obstructing the view from the front.

[​IMG]
    Back placement. Back would be painted black to hide piping. Returns are only a few inches from the front of the glass.

Sorry that was kind of long winded but this is a fairly critical area of the build and I would like people's opinions.

#4 eschulist, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. kieffer_5

Fishies collected:
    I like them on the back because ones you paint the back black it's really not noticable the only problem then is the direction of the flow

6. data_loss

data_loss where's the rum?
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I think I'd like them on the back as well. Wouldn't you be able to bend the locline enough to not have to have it pointing straight at the front glass?

7. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Excellent documentation - I vote back - looking at your stand - if you went with each end - you would have exposed plumbing on each end going from the tank down the stand walls that you would have to either just deal with - or come up with something to hide it.

Back placement takes care of it for you :biggthumpup:

8. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
    I love those 12 gallon longs. They are very nice and look way bigger than they actually are :biggthumpup:

9. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Many of my coworkers that have been stopping by my room to see my progress have all thought it was between 20-30 gallons due to its length, but its not. :gay1:

#9 eschulist, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    This pic is a total illusion. When I first saw it - I thought it was like a 65g in the background against a wall a little ways away. It wasnt until closer inspection that I realized its a pico sitting on your desk - LOL

[​IMG]

11. kieffer_5

Fishies collected:
    Wow. Totally thought the exact same thing haha

12. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
    Me too! I thought that computer was a white board :gay1:

I feel like Mr. Monk when he mistakes a plasma TV for a blackboard in "Mr. Monk and the really, really dead guy" :gay1:

13. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    you should be a magician :OOOOO

14. stryker

Fishies collected:
    Nice to see the thread here too.

15. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I don't know what you guys saw originally but yes its a 5.5g on my desk currently.

I sit there 5 days a week so it is hard for me to see the illusion I unknowingly created.

16. stryker

Fishies collected:
    probably the way you took the photo lol

17. Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79 zoapalythoaddict

Fishies collected:
    I like the idea of painting the back black. put your plumbing on the back as well. that will make for a nice clean look! IMO of course. Can't wait to see this build.

18. odie

Fishies collected:
    Ok I will rock the boat. I like them on the back so the plumbing will be hidden. But I like the clear back. It will go well with the modern look. I think it would still look great having them on the back, clear back, with black on hoses. For a black on clear look.

Also Angie I saw the optical illusion as well!!

Awesome build looking forward to it!!!

19. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks guys.

I know the black background hides all of the plumbing, but odie is right when he mentioned the "modern" look. I've been checking out many of the new European and ADA style tanks people are making and they are trying to keep every side of the tank unpainted which does give a very chic look. So I wanted to think of ways I could do the same. ADA style freshwater tanks use all glass intakes and returns but I looked into buying clear plumbing and while it would be different I'd imagine it would be a nightmare to clean. So I was going to go all black plumbing and keep it as low profile and flush to the tank as possible. Finding all of these fittings is becoming a challenge. Local Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards don't carry anything like it and online shopping is a little difficult for plumbing as you never really know if piece A or B fit together.

20. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Aquascaping
    A little rock sawing. Having dry rock makes it so easy to do things like this.
    [​IMG]

This was my original vision. Which I do like a lot.
    Layout 1
    [​IMG]

Layout 2
    [​IMG]

Layout 3
    [​IMG]

However after a little playing I think I like the configuration the most. It really opens up the sand bed. Coral or anemone placement my be a little harder with the top of the pedestal rock being close to the water surface.
    Layout 4
    [​IMG]

I was going to hang the light friday night before I left work but realized the metal on my light fixture is a lot thicker than I thought, so I had to go buy a thread tabbing bit so that my suspension kit can screw into the holes.