3 Foot Nano Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by eschulist, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Looks really sharp. I like the little gifs that you're including in your thread.

Does this pump help with the overflow siphon challenges from a few pages back?

Also, did you ever get that Hogfish?

2. OP
    eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks. I do like the GIFs. I just wish I could think of more ways to include them that show off something quickly.

So for my tank the main issue is my siphon restarts slower than the pump restarts. This means if I have too much water in my tank the pump will overfill the display and I will flood the floor. To stop that from happening I limit the amount of water in my sump. When the pump restarts it draws water from the sump until the pump runs out of water and starts sucking air. When it sucks air it no longer is filling the display and it gives the pipes time to purge air and let the siphon restart. Once it restarts the water level drops in the display tank and the sump takes on that excess water allowing the pump to run normally fully submerged.

For those unfamiliar here is how that works.

This video was showing the Jebao DCP-5000. Now with the Neptune COR pump I can program in a very slow speed ramp. In the image above for my programming it shows my pump as SET Restart. Normally this is SET ON, or includes table data for fluctuating speeds throughout the day. My restart code triggers every time the pump comes out of feed mode or after power failures and water changes. This gives my tank time to restart the siphon before the pump is going at 100% speed. However it still sucks air as the window of water balance is so narrow, but the pump may only be running at 20-30% power while its sucking air so it makes way less noise and creates less bubbles in the tank. My other option is get another optical sensor and have it positioned right above the intake of the pump. This could trigger the pump to run at 1% speed when its exposed to air. Once the siphon restarts the sensor would go back underwater and tell the pump to resume normal speed again. I just don't have a spare sensor to do this. Overall still really complicated for the most mundane thing. If you are free Tuesday come over and check it out for yourself. I'll probably do a few power cycles to show how this crazy system works.

And yes I did finally get my peppermint candy cane hogfish from Divers Den. Honestly though, Im a little disappointed in it. The colors are just very bland compared to what I hoped. The red and white doesn't stick out like I was expecting. His coloration is very drab with lots of grey and black. So I'm either going to really save my pennies for the Deepwater Candy or get some sort of vibrant red wrasse to get that nice color I've been wanting.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'll just repost this here... as it seems it's inevitable. :)

[​IMG]

4. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Sept 2017 Video Update (First livestock video since the transfer)

• Like Like x 2
  5. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Beautiful system. I am also a fan of pretty plumbing, well done. I noticed that now Mr. Aqua has a 22 gallon with the same length, but little more width and height. Just wondering if you considered that when doing your re-build?

6. OP
    eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! I slightly considered the 22. But keeping the height and depth smaller creates the illusion that the tank is longer/larger than it is due to the greater difference in proportions. I also have a very fine line to walk with how much excess water my sump can hold due to the design on the overflows. When I enter feed mode or shut off the pump a lot of water drains down. I also have a very unorthodoxed startup method and having even 2-3 more gallons of water would probably make it not work. Or maybe I would have less issue than I currently have, I dont know. I will post a new video in the coming week about the sump, plumbing, filtration, pump, apex, and my restart method. A the end of the video you can see my tank is a cup full of water away from overflowing the rim. The tank is currently running (You see very tiny bubbles coming out of the return bulkheads). I've controlled my pump and limited the amount of water in the entire system so that I can't physically do so.

7. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I get it, you actually think things through. I generally plumb and figure I can hopefully make it work out. :)