5.5 gallon

Discussion in 'Nano and Pico reef systems' started by Alunai, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

Fishies collected:
    As many if you learned at the last couple meetings, I don't currently have any tanks set up. However, I do have a nice 5.5 gallon with some dry rock sitting in it, begging to be filled up and stocked. Pictures of the rock work will be coming soon. I'm thinking I may need to start a stock list. I would like to have a mixed reef, and yes, a fish or two.

Also, I need ideas for lighting. Chad may be helping with making an LED fixture for me but I'm open to suggestions.

If I could go without a heater, I'd love to keep a catalina goby, but would various corals do alright at room temperature?

I look forward to the responses. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

2. lr9788

lr9788 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  3. cdness

Fishies collected:
    I think you'll need a sailfin tang in there. That would be awesome... Just kidding. A catalina goby and some sexy shrimp would look cool for sure.

Room temperature I guess would depend on what the room temp is. If you keep the house in the mid 70s you may be ok without a heater. Either that or get the heater that has the cover on it so the fish cannot land directly on the heater.

Sounds like a cool build. Be sure to upload pics!

4. Kevin Lake

Kevin Lake Owner, Aquaria Guru Inc.
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Have a 5.5g tank and a 10g sump to put a heater, filters, etc. in :gay1:
    In all honesty, I think you'd need a heater or your fish will get cold (especially at night when the light/heat source turns off).

You may be able to get away with a reptile heating pad on the underside of the tank (not sure about the thermostat or what happens if something gets wet).

5. OP
    Alunai

Fishies collected:
    Luke, I knew you would be excited! :biggthumpup:

Kevin, Catalina gobies are actually cool-water fish. They are native to the cooler waters of the pacific, and do best in water temperatures from 60-70 degrees. Most fish that I have checked have a recommended water temperature of 72-78 degrees, as do many corals. If I cannot find a nice selection of cooler water corals, I'll just scrap that idea and get a small heater to put in there.

Cdness, think I could squeeze a sohal tang in there too? :gay1: Yes, I have to figure out what the temperature would settle at before I can decide what to put in there. Although I would let the tank get established before stocking it with too much so I can let the temp fluctuate a bit before I make up my mind on stock. My plan is to first get a nice crew of inverts established in there after cycling is done.

6. data_loss

data_loss where's the rum?
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  7. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    while not as bright, a green banded goby may be just as interesting as a catalina. also of interest, pair up some yasha gobies and a little candy stripe pistol shrimp. A tiny clownfish pair from me of course, and sexy shrimp... hehe

8. OP
    Alunai

Fishies collected:
    Data Loss, Steve Weast's cold water tanks are an absolute inspiration. I don't know of any way I could get my little 5.5 cold enough to support some of those types of animals without the use of a chiller. Although it would be worth reading up on, again. That tank is stunning.. And I have always wanted to try it!

9. blennieluvr

blennieluvr TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm stocking my 12g with sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab and a green clown goby.

10. OP
    Alunai

Fishies collected:
    So I have decided to put stock lists on the backburner for a bit until I get the tank set up and cycled, blah blah blah. I'm going to concentrate on what I'm going to run for equipment. So for lighting I'm thinking about running Ecoxotic stunner strips. This is what I'm thinking...

1. 445nm Royal Blue / 12k White
    2. Magenta / 12k White
    3. 445 nm Royal Blue / 8k White

My aim is to make the colors of my corals pop as much as possible without having an overwhelming amount of blue. I'm thinking that this should provide enough light for a 5.5 gallon, depending on what kind of corals I'm going to keep. I'd love some opinions on the stunner strips, this particular combination, and if you think this is enough light for various corals, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQKtk4vndQ&feature=player_embedded

This is a nice video that they have on their stunner page. I love the way the corals pop, and I can't get over that shimmer!

For your convenience, here is a link to their page on stunners.

11. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
    From what I have heard. Stunner strips produce little usable light for the corals. They are more for aesthetics.

12. OP
    Alunai

Fishies collected:
    I contacted Ecoxotic on their facebook page and this was their response: "Hi Ashley, In a small 5.5 gallon tank, absolutely. Your color spectrum combinations sound perfect!" So it looks like I lucked out, I will be able to use the stunners after all!

13. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
    Cool. Probably since it is such a tiny tank :beerchug:

14. OP
    Alunai

Fishies collected:
    I know, that's what I was hoping to hear, and I'm excited to start ordering them. Once I get the 65 gallon, I'll be saving for lighting for the 5.5 lighting. It is unfortunate that both of these are going to be slow builds, but I guess there's a silver lining. I AM going to be doing them slowly, but I'm also trying to do them right the first time around! :biggthumpup:

15. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
  16. OP
    Alunai

Fishies collected: