60 Gallons less the rim

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by ArcKatana, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

First I want to thank Beav for working with me on a custom tank. I was looking at a 3x2x2 tank and he was super helpful.

I was on my way to pulling the trigger (and my reason for going to Fargo was to talk with the store there about it) when I stopped into Detroit Lakes Best Pets. I had been there before a few times - when I moved back to Mn in 2014 I found a 30G JBJ Rimless system there for around 300 bucks. They have some other stuff I was looking at also. Since it was on the way to Fargo, I pulled in. Livestock was terrible, but they had this guy in the basement: a 60G rimless and stand. I wasn't looking for the tank, but it found me.

IMG_0009.JPG

Still a little dusty, as I'm not sure where it is going just yet. I did some research and the tank is not tempered, so I could drill it. Part of me wants to, as I'd like a sump for a skimmer and/or putting another tank into the stand.

The other part of me wants to keep it super simple, and get some colonies going, like my Weeping Willow that just isn't that happy where it is now. An Aquaclear 110 and a powerhead and call it a day. I've got lights from my 30 rimless cube that will go over this guy, so other than just the AC110, I'm all set on gear.

On the sump front tho, I've got a spare 660GPH return pump in the box, the skimmer and a 10G tank I could use for the sump, and probably all the pvc.

With my 85 refugium running since February, I just need to move some stuff and the tank can be running in about two hours.

I'd like to make a fairly dramatic aquascape with this system, so I may need some cement to build the rock into the shape I'm going for.

Leather Corals only, maybe an anemone down the road. A couple of fish and that is it.

Time to get started.

• Like Like x 5
  2. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

After reading some really good tank builds on R2R and RC, I'm going sump and skimmer less. I want something low maintenance and easy to take care off. Since this will be a leather only tank, it should be fine. I'll have one little fish in there for now, and I think I'll top out with a total of three or four two to three inch fish. I'll have to find room for the Convict Tang (2.5") soon though.

Starting on the tank today, a bit bitter sweet as I'll be taking the 85 down to make room. Upshot is that I'll be mostly just transferring the stuff over, so no real downtime, other than completely re-arranging the living room lol.

3. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Found the new location for the tank - I think I need to add some supports, it seems a bit too wobbly for my liking.
    Dirty tank pic:
    IMG_0017.JPG

Need to get something to attach the lights, and ordered an AC110 for the back. I'll tear down my refugium tank and move stuff over into this guy once I've got everything I need.