Acrylic 5g Nano Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by abomb55076, Jan 10, 2011.

1. abomb55076

So Ive been looking around lately for a 5g rimless nano to upgrade my picotope and didnt have much luck finding anything so I decided to build my own! Heres just a short description of what Ive done so far.

I took a trip out to A1 acrylics and found some scrap 1/4" acrylic for the tank and got enough to build the tank as well as a small piece of black acrylic for a possible overflow (maybe a future project) all for $6. I also picked up a small can of weldon 3 to join the pieces.

I cut all the pieces out on my CNC machine.

[​IMG]

Then I just had to clean up the edges so they were nice and flat. Once I had all the pieces cut and preped, I used a right angle jig to clamp the pieces to while joining them to make sure the tank was square.

[​IMG]

Once I had the pieces in place I simply applied the weldon 3 to the edge using a hypodermic needle, allowing the solvnt to run into the joint. Then I tightened the clamps to snug it all up and waited for it to set before moving on to the next joint.

After joining all of the sides together, I attached the sides to the bottom using the same process.

[​IMG]

Finally, because I made the bottom oversized, I ran a straight edged double flute router bit with a bearing along the bottom edge to make it flush with the sides.

All of this I managed to accomplish today.... I will let the joints cure tonight, and tomarrow I plan on leak testing it all to see how I did. If all goes well, the next step would be to get it set up for the reef!

[​IMG]

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated. Im still trying to decide how Im going to set it all up when its ready. (Lighting, filtration, aquascaping, etc.)

:beerchug:

2. Stevenpezz_32

Nice work I am impressed! Cant Wait to See more:beerchug:

3. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

What kind of "straight edged double flute router bit " did you use? Brand and size would be helpful.

4. OP
    abomb55076

I used a 1/2" Flush trim bit by Black and Decker

[​IMG]

5. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Thanks,
    I just routed the edge of one of my tanks..it left a grind edge where the ball barring was....Not too happy about it and want to find another bit.

6. OP
    abomb55076

Yea, I heard that would happen so I put masking tape all around where the bearing would touch. Also, I have heard of people lubing it up with vaseline before cutting too just to avoid it from melting your acrylic. Even though I put the tape all around my tank, I still managed to do this though on one side of the tank but its only like a half inch long and looks more like a smudge so it will be fine. Its also under the sand line so it will get covered up...

7. ArstenA

ArstenA I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

You may need to put euro bracing in. I built two rimless tanks. And they both bowed. One was 12" x 12" x 12" the other was 18" x 6" x 6". I used 1/4" acrylic on both. So I guess don't be surprised if it bows. Mine have run 5 months being bowed without problem though.

8. OP
    abomb55076

Really, I read somewhere that for tanks 1-12" they only need 1/4" so thats what I used, I was alittle worried it might do that though. How much has it bowed?

9. ArstenA

ArstenA I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

The 18" x 6" x 6" tank has bowed about an 1/2".

10. OP
    abomb55076

Ill have to think about adding something on top to stop it from bowing.

Im leak testing it now and....... so far so good, no leaks! I marked a spot on the side so I could see if the water level dropped at all.

11. OP
    abomb55076

12. PengXiong

Sweet!

Looks great a i wouldn't worry too much about a 5 gallon bowing a bit. The one i got from chewee bowed too.

13. ArstenA

ArstenA I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

lets see some pictures of your CNC machine!! :biggthumpup:

14. OP
    abomb55076

[​IMG]

There she is, not much to look at but it works ;)

15. Beau46290

wow, not many can say they have a cnc machine for personall use, nice! and the tank looks awesome! not bad for what, 10 bucks cost? very nice!! I have my nano, and that too bowed. causing a crack in the back right corner. i believe i fixed it, i also went through and redid all 4 corners with jbw13. have had water in it for about a week now, and havent had any problems. i kinda wanna make triangles for the top corners though. is that tacky compared to the euro bracing?

16. OP
    abomb55076

Yea, the machine is alot of fun to have for small projects. It made this tank alot easier to make, and the acrylic only cost me $6 for scrap pieces! I think the triangles in the corners is a good idea though, then you can still have a semi rimless...

17. lr9788

lr9788 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Just out of curiosity. Why does a guy decide to purchase a cnc machine? are you doing some serious commercial applications?

18. OP
    abomb55076

I actually build it myself a few years ago :biggrin:

19. OP
    abomb55076

[​IMG]

UPDATE! The tank is up and running and also survived a 2.5 hour roadtrip!

20. Tropical Aquarist

That tank looks sweet, Now I want an pico reef! What kind of equipment are you using?