Advice on potential DSLR purchase

Discussion in 'Photography' started by KJoFan, Jul 29, 2017.

1. KJoFan

KJoFan Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Can some photo/camera saavy folks chime in on whether the following is good? This is a used camera/lense I'm considering, also would be my first ever DSLR for taking better than cell phone pics of my tank and inhabitants.

70D Body, 18-135mm lense, battery, charger, and connection cable
    Shutter Count: 6K= 4984 + 821
    Internal Temp: 160 raw (help needed)

Can someone also explain the internal temp thing? I would probably also need a different (macro?) lense. But other than that what's the consensus? And what's a fair used price?

2. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I am not seeing the price in your post. Also do you know the details or model number of the lens?

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Do you ever plan on diving with it?

These cameras are commonly sold in a package like the one mentioned and a quick Google search will give you an idea of new. Then search for used on forums like the scuba boards and other sites to get an idea on price. Lenses do not have good resale value... I still have two that I'm not selling because I can only get 25% back on ebay for NEW NEVER USED!

I'd also say that depending on where you are getting it you may need to have it cleaned professionally.

As for tank photos mine are terrible so don't ask me... there are lots of cheep ways to get a close up with your current lens but to get the colors correct is more difficult. There are also several threads on here about taking better pictures and the equipment needed.

Camera temp... a quick Google search suggests that this is a protective feature to prevent the camera from running hot (auto shut down). This has apparently been a problem for some people falsely getting this message. They're telling you the temp to either prove it doesn't have that problem or disclosing the camera is a dud.

4. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Asking price currently is $680. Lens appears to be the lens that came with the package originally. Canon lens is really all I know on that.

I don't plan to dive with it, mostly just for tank shots and the other random casual photos of life and such. I did google it up and found the package or some packages. Seems the one with the particular lens was/is discontinued for whatever reason. So, I do have an idea of new price, but no point of reference for used prices. I didn't think to check scuba sites and the like, I'll do some digging.

It would be purchased from another hobbyist so..as for cleanliness I guess that'd have to be determined at a later point.

The internal temp thing was just one I noticed when I saw a shot of the spec screen, and wasn't sure what it was all about and info I found was over my head. :)

I'm probably typically not a fan of buying used in this case, but on the other hand I have zero experience with used so thought maybe this would fit the bill instead of investing a ton into something new.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I don't have much experience with that body, but for that price range you should consider a Sony a6000 mirrorless. You are already use to composing your shots on an LCD. Mirrorless would give you continuous live view. The price is similar and you would be getting a new camera.

The a6000 is the camera I use currently. My wife has an a6300 which is more durable and has better video, but also costs quite a bit more.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

6. AsianReef

AsianReef Former: 90ct
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    If you could, I recommend Canon 6D body (semi full frame camera) and save up your money to buy a good lens later. Canon regular lens won't hold value that much as Ryan mentioned, but Canon L lens is a different story, it can hold value very well because Canon barely release new L lens.
    I owned Canon 50D, 60D, 7D, 6D and just got the 5D mark IV. It's a huge difference between crop and full frame sensor. For prices and over all functions, 6D is worth to considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I personally love my 70D. I have a 60mm macro lens which works fine with my nano tank, although looking to upgrade sometime soonish. And then I have a 15-85mm that I use on the tank as well as an everyday lens, which I like a lot.