Aiptasia Problem

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by coralman, Mar 19, 2013.

1. coralman

Fishies collected:
    I have a 38 gallon reef tank. Coral is doing very well, but so is the Aiptasia Enemones. So I need to get rid of them.
    I have seen STOP AIPTASIA, or a sea slug called NUDIBRANCH BERGHIA and I heard BUTTERFLY FISH.
    Let me know what is the best way to get rid of them. I am not looking for a quick fix but looking at the long hall.
    thank you for your time.

2. Gatorbait

Fishies collected:
    I've used Aiptasia X with good results in the past if you can catch them early enough. However it's almost impossible to get them all that way. Other people have had success with peppermint shrimp hunting them down and eating them. Cheaper and easier than trying a Copperband Butterfly fish.

3. Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79 zoapalythoaddict

Fishies collected:
    Aptasia xworks OK, but is hard to get in the mouth before it closes IMO, then can stress and cause release of more babies/pieces. Kalk paste works to smother them and the hole they pop out of. Lemon juice is also very effective injected with a syringe. I've also used gels super glue to cover them up on the rocks. Peer mint shrimp can be hit or miss, and won't eat the big ones. I never keep anything I receive on the frag plug or rock to help avoid these guys, and only buy or purchase from certain sources, I have no aptasia in any of my tanks. The berghia are good, but require a steady supply/large population of aptasia to eat, once there gone the berghia die. Just be diligent and try to stay on top of them, usually once you get them its imposibble to totally irradicate but you can control the population. Use one or more of these methods to fight them off....everyone at some point has or does have these in there tank.

4. zwalk1839

Fishies collected:
    ive had great luck with peppermint shrimp. the big ones need to be killed with aip x and the small ones the shrimp eat. always has worked for me but like nanofreak said they will always be there...7 mons ago my shrimp died when all the aip was gone and tonight i spyed a fresh new aip dang guess i need to go buy another pep shrimp

5. wardda

Fishies collected:
    If you just have a few and they aren't right next to your coral you can use lemon juice or vinegar in a syringe, just stab it into their base and blast them with a ml or two.

Butterfly Fish work most of the time but they can nip at coral and you have to decide if you want a butterfly long term.

I've had mixed results with Peppermint shrimp, some love the stuff others don't touch it. Some say it is just the young ones that eat it... not sure if that is the case or not.

Nudibranch Berghia's work awesome, they will clean them out, but it takes some time, as they really hit their prime when they start reproducing, which they do very quickly. The issues with them is they will starve out once the aiptasia is gone, but on the plus side they are bright white (when hungry) and slow moving so they are easy to catch and there is a good market for them. So once your tank is clean just watch it after the lights go out (they are nocturnal) and you can capture them and pass on or resell to other reefers. I use a small turkey baster to suck them up. The other thing to consider before using Berghia's is that wrasse and peppermint shrimp and a few others will eat them which makes for an expensive snack.

6. TimSc2013

Fishies collected:
    I thought I would hijack this old thread as I have a massive outbreak of aptasia. Too many to try any manual means such as Kalk paste or lasers. I've tried peppermint shrimp with no luck. I have added about 20 Berghia Nudibranch but am impatient. They have been introduced about 2 months ago with no signs of improvements. Any reef safe fish that will assist such as a wrasse mentioned above?
    [​IMG]

#6 TimSc2013, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  7. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Which peppermint shrimp did you try? Where did you get them from?
    There a couple different species and one of them is better than the other; Lysmata wurdemanni.

Last month I noticed that I had a few aiptasia starting to show up in my display and I purchased a few peppermint shrimp from Live Aquaria. A couple of days later, all of the visible aiptasia were gone. I still see the shrimp every now and again, so they did their job for me.

8. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Potentially a CBB. I have heard they are a harder fish to keep.

9. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have a filefish from New Wave that is an Aptasia eating machine , he was a cheap fish and a character. I do not remember the name but you should check them out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I saw a filefish over at petco minnetonka that i was very tempted to get to try to control my aiptasia/mojano problem, i've heard many contradicting things about them being reef safe thought...Yours doesn't nip at corals? I have clams in every tank i run and those are almost more important then my coral so they can't nip at them :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I just cleared out a ton of aiptasia in both my tanks by boiling ro/di and using a syringe to square them. Then I sucked out as much of the aphasia I could with the syringe.

12. pigskin018

Fishies collected:
    I picked up 2 of the true peppermints and they cleaned out my 40 gallon tank of all aptasia in a week.

And it was everywhere...

I'd give them another try. Just be sure they are the real deal.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

13. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Tasseled Filefish. I never had much luck with shrimp or manual removal. Got one of these from SWE and have an aptasia free tank. He's a fun fish in the tank (the wife's favorite) and I've never seen him bother a coral.

[​IMG]

#13 Ben Nicholls, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  14. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I will say that I have a peppermint that is a known and voracious anemone eater. He was so indiscriminate with anemone eating, that I had to get him out of my tank with the BTA in it :p

15. mathshop3

mathshop3 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I just bought a copperband butterfly, my tank was infested with aiptsia, probably over 50 of them, 3 days later, I see 0 of them. He eats brittle worms too! !

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk