Anthias

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by rlinusc, Nov 16, 2015.

1. rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hello all,

So i wanted to hear what people's experiences were with respect to Anthias. I won't be getting any immediately, but i do want to see about planning to pick them up. (I am not going to buy them from a retailer, but may want to pick them up from another hobbyist who is getting out, or just doesn't want their fish anymore).
    There seems to be stories about them culling each other down, etc etc.

I know that a number of you have them, so just curious as to how you feel about their level of care, etc.

Linus

2. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have kept a few. The reports of in-species culling aren't well founded. Anthias establish and maintain a social hierarchy that requires mild aggression amongst themselves. The aggression and posturing are natural and are necessary to maintaining the group dynamic. There are a few ways that aggression can be a problem and they're all avoidable.

1) The fish aren't healthy enough to handle normal aggression. This is the most common issue.
    2) The group isn't well composed. Two males in a tank, one male one female in a small tank, etc.
    3) The anthias are kept in a mixed-species environment where one species exhibits much more aggression than is natural for the other.

Their level of care is very species dependent. Some are beginner level and some advanced, which are you interested in?

#2 ChristopherKriens, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  3. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Most of the issues I've seen come form adding new anthias to existing groups- that's a mess. Getting 5 of a given type and calling it good works out very well most of the time, standard hierarchy gets put into place and like is good. Adding other anthias of the same type and it's a mess. Adding other anthias of a different time, usually goes pretty well just try and keep them somewhat different in color/body shape (to the degree you can). Cross type aggression is usually pretty low in my experience, not unheard of just low.

Add all the anthias you want in one shot and call it good for the average tank. :)

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    :rotflmao:

Chris' information is very trustworthy and supported by his experience with the "few" species he has kept.
    Anthias are a social group of fishes that develop a hierarchy that establishes a male, dominant female and subordinate females; like Chris described. These fish do best in groups of three or more.
    Aggression that results in the culling of other fish would be more associated amongst fish that are more territorial in nature and develop bonded pairs; clownfish, damsels and chromis come to mind.

Marty's advice about adding fish to established groups is also good advice.
    Something that I would add to it is that you can add more fish of the same species when the hierarchy has been disrupted. My male anthias had passed away and the dominant female began to transition into the male. During this phase, I added another trio of smaller females and I had no issues. The transitioning male and the dominant female suppressed the new anthias and everything has been fine since.

If you're interested in keeping anthias, the lyretail anthias are a great starting point.
    They do well with being fed a few times per day; great if you can not feed throughout the entire day.
    And they are a larger and hardier species that fare well in a community reef tank.

5. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    What are some of the more hardier anthias? And who would fit into a 120 gallon tank in said group of 3 or more?

Do the lyretails stay smallish?

I am planning on getting the Apex Auto feeder, so multiple feedings isn't too much of a concern, though keeping the tank from overfeeding might be.

6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I currently have five lyretails in my 120gal.
    My first male grew to about 6" in length (a beast), but the females stayed progressively smaller.
    My current male is only about 4-½" long and the smallest female is a wee 2-½" long.

I primarily feed frozen foods; as not all of the anthias cared for pellets (nor I) much.

7. jjwhiteboy

jjwhiteboy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I and some customers have had some good results starting with 4 to 5 small females.

Bartlett have been the hardiest for me... currently taking care of a pair for th last 3 years. They are housed with a 6" Clown trigger, 10+" Sailfin Tang, Midas Blenny, 8in Sunset Wrasse, 2ft Zebra Moray, 5" Dragon Wrasse, and a 3" Filefish in a 220g FOWLR.

I would like to try a school of Fathead someday.

8. OP
    rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    anyone have experience with
    Bartlett's or Randall's, Resplendent or sunburst?

9. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    A few people keep Sunburst on the forum. I've kept Bartlett's and Resplendent. Anything that applies to Randall's applies to Resplendent; they're basically the same thing.

10. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Sunburst from a personality basis are boring as hell