Any other eel aficionados here?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by Aaron L., Aug 16, 2017.

1. Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Just curious what you keep and how long you've had them. I have a tessalated, a dragon moray, a dwarf golden, and a Brazilian golden morph.

Eels and trigs are by far my favorite fish to watch.

2. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I had a snowflake eel for ~ 1 year in one of my previous tanks. Then one day i never saw him again. Never found a body either so im guessing the clean up crew made short work of him or he somehow got out of the tank and one of my dogs ate him. Sad day

• Like Like x 1
  3. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I had a snowflake that was about golf-ball diameter and about 24-30" long. It would feed like the other fish. When I dumped krill or chuckier food in, it would swim all around and feed with the fish. Was very cool, one of my favorites. When I moved and broke down the tank, I think I traded it into to a fish store.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

My very first saltwater fish was a Jeweled Moray; M. lentiginosa.
    I actually paid for the eel before I bought the aquarium and supplies. I was currently keeping a freshwater White-cheeked "Moray" in my college dorm, but when I saw the saltwater moray it was game over; time to convert to saltwater. I kept the fish for about nine years until I traded it in when we moved and I sold off all of my aquariums. I also added two juvenile Jeweled Morays to another system during those years.

I still have an appreciation for moray eels, but they just don't belong in my reef systems. If I had a large fish-only system, you can bet I would have another moray. I like the Golden Tail Moray (M. miliaris) a lot; they had a couple of Golden variants at the LiveAquaria Diver's Den facility that looked incredible!

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I have unfortunately lost a couple of eels due to sad circumstances as well. It's crazy how wily they can be at getting into, or out of places!

6. OP
    Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I have one now and lost one due to a tank jump. Both were relatively small in diameter and my CUC is mainly urchins so I have kept them in my reefs. That said, I have no idea how big they get when full grown. Mine have both been about 15 inches in length and about a thumbs diameter thick.

7. OP
    Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Probably one of the prettiest fish you can get for the money. I had one but it got to be too aggressive when feeding (I had some dwarf golden morays in the same system) and I found it a new home.

8. jlanger

Do you have the Golden Dwarf Moray; Gymnothorax melatremus?
    Or the Golden Tail Moray; G. miliaris?

The Golden Tail Morays are thicker bodied like the Muraena sp. eels. They still stay relatively short (about 2 feet) but they're thicker; about the size of a ping pong ball. One of the gold variants was available on today's Diver's Den listings, but it's already been sold.

9. jlanger

Also forgot to mention...

If I couldn't get a Golden Tail, the Fimbriated Moray is definitely a sweet looking eel.

10. OP
    Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I actually have both. The other easier (in my opinion) distinguisher on these eels is the eye shape/color. Dwarf Holden's have a bluefish eye color with a snake like pupil (long black slit) and the miliaris has a dark circle. Without looking at the eyes you would think my miliaris is a dwarf golden as it is not as brilliantly gold as my last one.

Attached Files:

11. OP
    Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Those are absolutely beautiful if you find the right color pattern! I live the right gold head that fades into the body!

12. jlanger

LA-DD just listed the second of the Golden Eels that I viewed during the Open House Tour; these looked amazing!

[​IMG]

13. OP
    Aaron L.

Aaron L. Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Yeah. This is similar coloration to my first one. The one I have now is much more muted. Still cool, just not quite the display of color like that one.