Anyone here feeding blackworms to their marine fish (and where to get them?)?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by capman, Nov 22, 2017.

1. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Is anyone here feeding live blackworms to their marine fish?

And if so, where are you getting your blackworms?

2. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I've bought them from Wet World in Eagan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zoolan70

zoolan70 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I feed a big scoopful every day (when I have them). I order them in large quantities from a local supplier and keep them in a Cool Whip bowl in the fridge. I am ordering some blackworm keepers from https://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormKeepersM.html because it is hard to get them clean every day. The fish LOVE them.

4. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

You can get them from a local fish store in Crystal., I don't like the owners husbandry practices but he does sell live black worms in bulk.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

5. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

if you are talking about Aquatropics on Douglas in Crystal, the store closed recently.

6. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Oh dang. Okay, thanks. Not surprised really. Kind of fine with that. That place was a Mandarin killing factory. Made me angry Everytime.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

7. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

8. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Resurrecting this to see if there are any local sources for live blackworms? This thread was inconclusive except for @zoolan70 who didn't disclose his source. :)

9. zoolan70

zoolan70 I contributed!

Super secret source...

I would think that most fish stores can get them if you ask them to. Otherwise, I've ordered from California Blackworms before with good luck. The worms aren't as big as I get from my local source, but the keepers they sell are awesome and you can't get them anywhere else!

https://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormCareM.html

I would order a combo to get started. 1/2 pound of blackworms is a LOT but I've kept as much as 3/4 pound in a single keeper before:

https://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormKeepersM.html

Take as long as you need to feed them out with no losses...just rinse every day with cold water and add a pinch of fish food every few days. I find pellets work better for me and last through several rinses. The worms don't actually eat the pellet, they eat the bacteria caused by the pellet decomposing.

Something to be aware of no matter where you get them from. They will come with some flatworm-looking buggers mixed in. They don't harm anything, and the fish eat them, but my OCD forces me to look every day and pick out any I can find with a tweezers. After a few days they are all cleaned out.

Also, you will have some dead loss from shipping, and it will appear as a white slimy blob in the worms. I find it rinses away after a few days of good rinsing, and it doesn't seem to bother the rest.

10. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I used to get them from Forest Lake Pets 15 yrs ago in my freshwater days, but damn that's a haul all the way up there. I have some of those nifty keepers still from back then too. So, I'm all equipped, just missing the worms!

I contacted one of the online sites, not the California one I don't think and never got a response back. Who knew this was so hard?

I've got a Potter's wrasse that I'd like to get some weight on and thought these might do the trick. I got some freeze dried ones and it does eat those somewhat, but the live ones would probably entice it even more.

11. zoolan70

zoolan70 I contributed!

I would give California Blackworms a try...my fish (both fresh and marine) love them!

As for the source question, I've been told that only 2 places actually farm them, and anyone else selling them is just a middle-man. I can't say that's a fact, but last year there was a problem with one of the two, and no one could get them for a few months, which lends some credence to that claim.

12. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

13. zoolan70

zoolan70 I contributed!