Anyone here have a Wildlife rehabilitation or endangered species permit?

Discussion in 'Young reefing forum' started by BadOmen, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Didn't know where to post this so I just posted it in the Young Reefing Forum. My goal has always been to do some sort of Utilitarianism "program" to help out special concern/endangered/threatened species and finally decided to kick my butt into gear. As far as I see there are two options I have. I can either go for a Novice Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit or an Endangered Species: to enhance propagation or survival of the species--Permit.

So does anyone have one of these permits that would be able to tell me what applying for these is like? I know the WR Permit requires to separate exams and the ES Permit for the propagation or survival of the species requires an extensive document talking about a page-full of things. I've looked at the requirements for each so I know they are going to be extremely difficult to obtain but I have 2 specific species I have in mind that I want to try and start with that stay a decent size and one of which doesn't move around much.

-Pirate Perch
    and
    -Ozark Minnow

both of which are right within Dakota County.

2. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Actually I expanded it to MN at large since almost all Threatened fish are in Washington County just north of Dakota.

-Gilt Darter
    -Least Darter
    -Pugnose Shiner
    -Slender Madtom

3. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Just realized a rehabilitation permit isn't what I was thinking of (which would explain why they never mentioned fish....).

Derp.

4. curlyq

Fishies collected:
    I don't have any experience with these permits, but have you tried calling or visiting the DNR office? Depending on who you get, someone might be really helpfull in discussing this with you. It might be an option. My dad works at the DNR in the ecological services department, I'll ask him if he knows anything about these permits, or who to talk to about them.

I see now that the rehabilitation permit isn't what you are looking for. Can you re-articulate what you are looking to do so I can ask more informed questions?

#4 curlyq, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    A Endangered Species Permit, allowing me to collect a specific threatened species, provide husbandry and then release into a specified location.

I've looked at the DNR website and looks like there are a large variety of parameters that I need to measure along with some other very specific details into what I'm assuming is something like a species report?

6. bzishka

bzishka Fishy Keen Club
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    this is a long story........ The permit you are looking to get requires you to have a certain amount of hours working in or around a facility that does what your trying to do as "volunteer" work, I know with birds whether endangered or not you still need a total of so many volunteer hours at a "bird rehabilitation center" before you can open your own place. The thing is they dont wanna just run around handing our grants to every person who "decides" to take part in this. So your first step is to find a government owned facility that does what your trying to do (sorry i repeat myself). With fish its a little easier but with birds and mammals it can take anywhere from 2 mnths of volunteer work to up to 12 years, depending on what your trying to keep.
    After you have done a fair amount of volenteer work you can actually apply for permit to have the endangered animal.

A good place for you to start would be the "minnesota frog and toad calling survey" its a volunteer program where you document what frogs you can here by playing an mp3 over your designated area. If this is something your really interested in you have to make sure and email the lady in charge asap cuz the routes go fast

heres the link http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteering/frogtoad_survey/index.html

the lady you email your results in will log your actions and they will count toward volunteer hours.

also its not 100% necessary to volunteer, but when applying for the permit almost every person applying for the same permit has volunteered or worked with the mn dnr for a long time(like getting an internship at college). I have been a volunteer of the frog survey for almost 7 years now. and i also take care of injured birds. if you have any other questions feel free to ask, I will try and help as much as i can.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the information. I was planning on doing the calling survey, but would love to know of any other facilities that would relate to what I'm trying to accomplish that I could apply for.

8. pongo

Fishies collected:
    Have you looked into Nanfa, north america native fish assoc? Through them and MN fish club they usually get several permits and do collecting trips in the spring. Trip permit allows for people to catch and keep specific species.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks!

10. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Almost done with my website I'm making on Utilitarianism Fishkeeping and a little step by step progression of my adventure into Utilitarianism Fishkeeping.

11. BradN

Fishies collected:
    If you are still looking for contacts, I know someone in the fisheries dept. with USFWS. I'm sure he could give you direction or connections to someone. He's been in fisheries and fisheries research for quite some time.

12. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Although with college I don't have a whole lot of time currently, I'd definitely be interested in getting in touch for when I do have the time.