Anyone here have experience with the H2Overflow system from Custom Aquariums

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by capman, Feb 3, 2017.

1. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    For our new multi-tank setup in our new science building, I'm seriously considering going with this overflow system on all the tanks:

[video=youtube;oBa8HIESdIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBa8HIESdIw[/video]

Do any of you have any personal experience with using this overflow system, or have any of you seen these overflows in operation?

2. BlacknBlue2

BlacknBlue2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    you should contact custom aquariums in Neenah,wi, that is 1 of their main features.

3. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Indeed... we are in communication, which is an understatement (if I recall correctly, I think you were the person who suggested this company to me).

They will be building our tanks, as well as the stands and tank enclosures (and it sounds like they plan to come and install all this as well - it will be a huge relief for me to have this aspect of the setup taken care of by them - I will have plenty more to do myself).

Our head of facilities (who is intensely involved with the planning and construction of our new aquarium facility in the new building) actually spent a day visiting them in Wisconsin recently to iron out some details. He and I will probably make a trip together at some point, so presumably I'll be able to see these in operation myself.

I'm just wondering here though whether anyone here has had first hand experience using these overflows. They seem ideal, from my perspective, but first hand experience is always good to hear.

4. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    BEAV9900,

Thanks for the PM (I'm replying here because my PM box is pretty near full).

Indeed, we are in intense communication with Custom Aquariums, as described above (which was being posted while you were sending me the PM). Thanks much for your offer to ask them for more information though!

If you do have the opportunity to see these overflows in operation firsthand though, I'd love to hear your thoughts and impressions.

#4 capman, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  5. mftii42069

mftii42069 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I'm interested to hear from anyone, as well!

6. Dalailammy

Dalailammy Amphipod First Class
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Wouldn't it suck in a lot of air and create noise?

7. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  8. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    They were having issues with noise depending on size of pump used. These are now used and have eliminated all noise.

[​IMG]

They reduce the size of hole depending on gph

9. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Bill I got these for you to test out. Have a tank laying around to drill?

[​IMG]

Siphon stopper and H2O overflow

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Wow, cool!

I have a 65 gallon tank that is to be a quarantine tank (and so will need an overflow). The plan is to drill it for an overflow.

Do you own these, or are they sort of on loan or something?

My reason for asking: I'm sort of swamped right now. What would be ideal would be to do this in early summer (that would be early enough to make this decision - we won't be having delivery of our new tanks until November probably), though spring break could maybe work.

So, let me know what sort of time frame might work, and I'll see what I can do.

Also, I don't have a large enough diamond hole saw at the moment - the only one I have is for drilling holes for 1" bulkheads. So, I'll have to do something about that.

-----

Regarding noise: What I have done with my sort of makeshift overflows at the water line (a bulkhead at the waterline with a tube made out of plastic canvas inside the tank - kind of a cheap version of these H20verflows) is to put a T- connection on the back, with the drain line going straight down, and a vent sticking straight up. This usually works pretty well from a noise standpoint.

11. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Bill they gave them to me, and my intention is to pass them along to you use/test. I will be heading there next week if I can help out with anything let me know.

Also they just announced a new product. When I was discussing this with them last month I assumed it was a typical "stealth overflow". This is a little different but incorporates the H20 overflow. I'm excited to see it in person.
    https://youtu.be/RKp9yXnsmIU

12. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Very cool. I''l try to e-mail you (or if you get to it first, please e-mail me - don't use my full PM box) and we'll try to coordinate meeting up. Thanks so much for this help!

13. Rachelle V

Fishies collected:
    Does anyone have any updates on their H2Overflow system?

14. OP
    capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'll know in the not too distant future... our 7 new tanks that will be delivered in 6 days will be equipped with a total of 16 of these things!

I've not actually tried them out, but they should be great.