Baby clown fish

Discussion in 'Aquatics Breeding (Fish, coral, inverts)' started by mvhockey, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mvhockey

mvhockey Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    So tonight was day 9 for my eggs and they hatched. Now going through the experiment of trying to keep my first patch alive. I hope that I can at least save a few. Any experienced members please leave tips.

Thanks

2. Fishmonger70

Fishmonger70 I Live For TCMAS!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Awsome dude, congrats! Good luck with them.

3. OP
    mvhockey

mvhockey Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Short lived.. woke up today and lost them all. SOOOO sad!!!! Not sure what went wrong. Ammonia last night was at 1 ppm, temp 80, feed the rotifer which went through a sieve and added some phyto that I harvested. Not going to give up. Not sure at this point what I need to change or do different next time. Any tips or ideas would be great

4. kbb0118

kbb0118 Itty Bitty Sea Creatures
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    We all suffer from this. I've been at it for a few years and I probably have a 50% success rate. Where I completely kill 50% of my hatches and the rest that survive have probably a 75% chance of growing up.

Bacteria, fungus, Ammonia, heat, not enough heat, not enough oxygen, parental diet, algae paste issues, salinity swings, too many rotifers, too few rotifers, hydrioids, too much light, not enough light, genetic issues, the angle of the bangle...many reasons that are near impossible to pinpoint without a lab and a PhD.

I wish I could help more. Maybe if you list the details (extreme details) of your larvae setup (with pics maybe), feeding practices, water change practices and so on then I might be able to offer some suggestions.

One thing I am going to start trying is adding Probiotics to the larval water and loading the rotifers with it as well.

5. kbb0118

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  6. OP
    mvhockey

mvhockey Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    kbb,
    basically I set up my 10 gallon tank about 5 days ago. Filled it half full. My temp was at 80. Sides and back blacked out. Fed rotifer to the set up twice prior to them going in then fed the tank for the 3rd time when I moved them in. I did not do any water changes. I do have a air stone in the tank which I think I might have had to much pressure coming out of but then turned it way back. I did not have a rotifer filter in my rotifer set up so it seemed like. I will take a pic when I get home. I had my mind set that the 1st batch would die but was just suprised it took place so fast. I want to make this successful and will keep trying just hate killing things. Thanks for all help

7. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    your salinity changed in that 5 days. you MUST use water from the parent tank at the same time you move the larvae. they can not handle ANY changes in their environment well.

I went 6 months killing off batches of babies till I got it right. It's a ton of work, and it's not like raising freshwater fish.

8. kbb0118

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Chad is right. It is a ton of work. I have resorted to a slow drip through and 4 feedings a day instead of greenwater technique. There is some research that states probiotics help the larvae deal with environmental stress.

9. Bowser

Fishies collected:
    Chad, just wondering, how do you do water changes if they can't handle any changes in their environment? no where close to thinking about breeding just yet (heck i don't even have a tank yet) but just thought that this was interesting :D

10. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    in the larval tanks, if they really need a water change, i'll pull water out using the siphon and a screen, put the rotifers back in, and DRIP new saltwater back in.

any changes to their environment must be slow. otherwise you can expect some die off. once they have that stripe, I'm not so careful.

11. OP
    mvhockey

mvhockey Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Chad whenyou do a water change could you just pull water from the display tank to use in the larval tank?

Also since I know now that they should hatch on day 9 would you recommend that I wait to fill the larval tank until day 8?

I know this is going to be a long process with a lot of failure. I love this hobby and want to learn this process so bad.

12. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yeah, I would wait until the day before they hatch. Less time for ammonia etc. to build up. You might miss a hatch or two that way, just keep track of the day they hatch and over time you should get into a consistent pattern. Of course, if you are using water from the parents tank you can set it up in 10 once a hatch starts.

13. OP
    mvhockey

mvhockey Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  14. mpedersen

mpedersen Mr. Oxymonacanthus
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Not to come off as a jerk, but I think you already knew what was *probably* wrong...^

Lots of good advice here, so I don't really see a need to add anything else (Was surprised that no one saw this and realized the potential to be a big problem?).

15. RyanTurner

RyanTurner I am Wrasseman
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Moved thread to the breeding forum.

16. OP
    mvhockey

mvhockey Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected: