Best Method to Reviving Stored Dry Rock

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by adamceder, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. adamceder

I have probably 7 buckets of previously live rock that I have been storing for my eventual comeback. I was wondering what is considered the best method of cleaning the rock. In the past I believe muriatic acid 10-1 was considered the best approach. Is that still the best method?

When I get started with a new tank would I need to buy live rock to seed the tank or if I purchase live sand will that be enough to get things going?

2. clownnut

clownnut TUNNWOLC
    Lifetime Member

if you already did the acid bath for the rock you got doing another round might end up eating up all the rock you got.
    live sand = wet sand dont have the bacteria you want for your tank. prodibio is what i like to use start a new tank.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I guess if the rock was just sitting around, dry and has not been in saltwater the whole time, I would put it in saltwater for several weeks. You would check the cycle steps, until every test came back zero. If it was stored in saltwater, it would be ready for use faster. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JuniorBirdHater

JuniorBirdHater Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

If the rock was in a system before it will have come out full of biological crud. This should be cleaned off, which is what the muriatic acid bath does. It dissolves the outer layer of the rock, removing the accrued biomatter. If the rock was cleaned prior to storing, you are likely good to go with it. If not, i would give it a good cleaning so as not to introduce all of that old dead biomatter in to your new system.

As for seeding a new tank, I think dry rock, plus dry sand, and then buy a cup of sand from a place like Saltwater Empire to seed the system.

5. OP
    adamceder

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I just need to find a tank to get the process started.

6. csb123

csb123 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Check out the BRS video for curing rock. I think bleach had the best results.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

I just bleached mine following the brs video. Seems to have worked well, it also doesn't dissolve your rock like acid. Don't rush it.

8. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I'm going to revive this thread rather than make a new one...

I've had a bunch of old live rock from previous tanks curing in heated saltwater for several weeks. I tested the water today and got 50 nitrates and .03 phosphates. I've been topping off the tubs with RO/DI with some lanthanum chloride in to reduce/pull out some of the phosphates. I've done one water change so far, and will likely do another here sometime soon-ish.

My question is, the previous dead matter on/in the rock fed the cycle, hence the high nitrates. Now, if I'm still some weeks away from getting the tank going, should I be feeding the bacteria with a little ammonia to beef up the bacteria population? I also have some of that Dr. Tim's bacteria in a bottle. I have no idea if it's effective, but could/should I be adding some now or waiting until the rock is in the tank and the tank filled before using it?

9. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

The bacteria seems to have worked very well for me. I only used about half of the recommended dosage because I wasn't adding a lot of fish.

*edit - I still have very little algae after a few months and only gave it a couple weeks after adding water. Was all bleached rock and dry sand.