Biopellets

Discussion in 'PremierAquarium' started by LoJenn, Jan 11, 2018.

1. LoJenn

LoJenn Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    i setup Biopellets, been running for 8 days. 75G display tank upstairs, 30g to basement sump. Q1 Using Next Reef SMR1 and Danner Mag 3 drive. Is the mag 3 the appropriate sized pump? It seems pellets should circulate more. Added 1 1/2 cups to reactor to start. Q2 How long before pellets populate. Most articles say 4 to 6 weeks. Does this mean I'm not to add more pellet to reactor? Thx for your response.

2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Some bacteria will colonize within the first 2 weeks. However the denitrifying that your likely wanted to occur will take 5-6weeks before enough has colonized to see nitrates lower. I ran bio-pellets for about 18months when they first started to hit the market. I don't believe the amount of flow is too terribly important, I'm sure what you have is suffecient.

Unless your reactor output is going directly to a skimmer, don't be surprised if it fuels cyanobacteria. Never had cyano before or after using pellets but struggled with it the entire time I ran them, my skimmer was fed directly from overflow so I was not able to output reactor to skimmer, it had to pass through the entire system before reaching skimmer and as it slowly dissolved would feed cyano.

3. OP
    LoJenn

LoJenn Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Damn.. that's what i was hoping to avoid. Seems everything that goes into this tank, i end up fighting cryno..Just guess there's no sure fire ways to fight this mess. Have lowered LED intensity from high of 65% to now 55%. I've placed GFO and ROX.08 on the back burner for now to see how biopellets work out. Stepped up filter soc change to eo/day. Heavily beefed up clean up crew.
    I've downsized tubing in and out of the reactor from 1/2 to PEX 3/8 ID which has no "tooth" and unable to catch fine particles creating build up. The output from the reactor is within an inch of the skimmer intake and secured. The other reason of course to is create better head pressure in the reactor, thus better tumbling. Looks better right now. Will give it a week to see if results change. Thx Again David for your input.