Breaking down plant tank...

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by Mandarin_Jake, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Hey all.
    At this point I am considering breaking down my 46 gallon bowfront planted freshwater tank. Its become a little too much I think in addition to my salt tanks with maintenance and such. Plus it might help make room for a crib possibly.

The tank has a variety of healthy mature plants.. a few amazon sword varieties, anubias, and a couple cryptocoryne species. Misc drift wood, rock, etc.

The tank started out as a German Ram cichlid tank but my pairs have slowly died off and I am down to one pair left. I have a few denisons barbs (roseline sharks), a couple otocinclus, a few neon tetras, and our favorite blue eyed albino bushy nose pleco (super fat and cool fish btw).

I just wanted to get peoples ideas about how they break down tanks?

2. squirrelfish

Fishies collected:
    I drain the water down, catch all the fish and bag them. Then I usually separate the plants and bag them too. I either throw the substrate in buckets or leave it in the bottom of the tank with. Only takes me 45 mins at most.

3. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Depends on the kind of substrate you use. If it's a dirted tank then I would definitely make thing that thing is sucked dry before removing plants, especially if the plants have in there for a long time cause they're going to kick up a storm. Otherwise it really comes down to personal preference. If it isn't dirted I prefer taking the plants out first, then drain part way, take out fish, finish draining, take out the gravel and dry it so you can save it for later.

4. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If your interested in getting rid of them I have a very bare looking 125 planted tank that I was looking to add to currently it has 4 Angels and 15 bristle nose plecos that I breed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. OP
    Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm sorry that I wasn't very clear in my original post. I'm not concerned about the actual tear down of the tank...I've got that covered as far as that goes. My concern is what to do with the fish, plants, and tank itself.

6. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I know Wet World will take them in and give you store credit. Otherwise if you are willing to ship I'd take some plants(or by the sound of it Bschowa would be willing to take some as well)