Bschowa's current build thread

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Bschowa, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Tank = 60 x 24 x 24

Current full tank shot 11-3-15

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Bschowa, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I was able to pick this tank up from a fellow Reefer about a year ago and have been pushing and planning and trying to get this full of water so I could finally pull down all of my other tanks and just focus on one.

When I started I had plans of putting an electric fireplace in the stand and making it into a functioning fireplace with a mantle and then having the tank on top of that but with a lack of funds and the ability to find a fireplace that would fit in the current hole the stand has the stand build has stalled out almost completely. This is what I had planned [​IMG]

And this is what I came up with so far [​IMG]

I was able to drill through my living room floor and convince the boss that I should keep all of the noise and equipment in a room in the basement so I started work on the fish room.

Here are a few pictures of that,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Apparently I deleted the rest of them so I will take more this afternoon

I had purchased an acrylic sump from another member on the forum and was planning on using it as is but when I went to put my skimmer in the sump was too high for my skimmer cup to be able to drain into my collector so after talking to a few people and a lot of research I decided to try cutting it down to a size that works well for my purposes. [​IMG]
    And here it is now [​IMG]

Much shorter and I found out that I really like working with acrylic so I might start doing s few projects with it, most likely start with frag racks and hopefully one day build a frag tank when I need one.

3. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So far with the tank it has been up and running for 3 months, all rock was live when I put it in so I didn't see much of a cycle, the one thing I added on this tank that i didn't have before was sand, I used special grade reef sand and feel like this was a good choice. I have to really crank up the flow in order to get it to move.

The reason for adding sand was mainly ascetics and getting people to stop asking me why there was no sand on the bottom of the tank. I never knew how irritating that question could be. Nothing like a compliment followed by "but don't you think it would look better with sand? All of the tanks I have ever seen had sand in the bottom" none the less now that I have it I don't mind the little bit of extra maintaince to keep it clean

I am having issues with some brown algae that is growing on my top rocks but with a week off of work I plan on getting my carbon. gfo and bio pellet reactors back online to start helping with some of that.

As for fish in the tank I currently have
    Yellow tang
    Sail fin tang
    A pair of frostbite clownfish from sustainable aquatics
    Two firefish
    Flame hawkish
    Mystery wrasse
    Melenarus wrasse

For lights I am running 2 eco tech marine gen 3 radions which I will be adding another one when they go on sale thanksgiving.

Flow I have 2 mp10, 1 mp40qd, and a max spect gyre 150

For a skimmer I am running a reef octopus Diablo dcs 200 with a neck cleaner and Collection bucket for easier maintaince

My return pump is the eco tech marine vectra l1 and so far that has been working out pretty well

I run a smart auto top off into the sump which has a 25 gallon brute trash can for a resivore that has to be filled approx every 2 weeks

4. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Brent's 5' 160 this is the last upgrade I swear honey build

Here is the pictures I have of the tank from when I got it to now [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 Bschowa, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  5. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Looks great!

I would have thought a plumber would use something technical than a string to support plumbing runs... :)

6. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Lol I have riser clamps above the trusses and I have hangers and insulation for it in the garage as well I just haven't gotten around to it ever. Your actually the first person to point that out though so now that people notice I might have to stop being so lazy

7. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Brent's 5' 160 this is the last upgrade I swear honey build

Here is some pictures of the fish room

A lot of cleaning still needs to be done which will be the project for this week

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#7 Bschowa, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  8. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Made some progress this afternoon setting up the reactors and getting ready to dial in the auto dosing [​IMG][​IMG] even have the mini fridge filled with beer for when I just need to escape

#8 Bschowa, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  9. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    After a long chat with my buddy from back home today he convinced me that I need a recirculating bio pellet reactor that is sized right for my tank I was running them on my 90 and they worked great but the reactor wasn't recirculating and the numbers exploded when I went to my 150 so I ditched that idea and went back to gfo which just made things worse

He told me about a guy who custom builds them to what you need that isn't very far from my aunt and uncles house actually he's out of town this week but once he gets back on Monday he is going to start work on it.

So I changed a few thing in the aqualund aio 200 reactor and that will help me keep my nutrients where I want them rather than cutting back on feeding which j am starting to see my fish start to get a bit skinny for my liking

Once I get that up and running I plan on adding a few new fish and stocking up on sps and seeing how that goes

As of right now I am getting my arse kicked by flow I have way to many pimps in the tank for my liking and still can't seem to get things right

coral placement is my other downfall that I am trying to get figured out

#9 Bschowa, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If anyone has advice on how to dial in flow feel free to let me know

Right now I have an mp40 top right front and a gyre left top middle and then a mp10 on the bottom back on each side

#10 Bschowa, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  11. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Has anyone found a good way to combat Cyano? I have that on the rocks and some kind of brown algae that looks exactly like brown Cyano instead of red growing all over my sand bed. Tank is definitely going through a massive case of the uglies lately but I am hoping that this is the last stage of my algae cycle since I have already went through diatoms, hair algae and now
    It has evolved to Cyano. Of corse all tests come back zero due to how fast the algae is using up nutrients.

12. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The best method to prevent cyano is making sure the affected area are getting enough water flow.
    But I have found that the UltraLife Red Slime Remover works great at getting rid of cyano blooms once they get established.

Are you running your bio-pellets yet/still? If so, have the pellets been reducing the nutrients?
    I've never used pellets so I wouldn't be able to give you any advice, but I thought I'd ask.

14. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    double post

#14 jlanger, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  15. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I am currently not running bio pellets, just gfo and carbon. I have some ultra life red slime, it didn't seem to work well on my last tank so I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route right away. When you set your pumps (if I recall correctly you run vortech as well) how do you get them to provide flow to the bottom parts of the tank without creating a sandstorm. I used special grade on this build hoping to prevent the blowing sand

16. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have two MP40s running anti-synced on opposite ends of the tank towards the front. Currently there is only one MP10 running at a constant 100%.
    I have fine aragonite sand that gets pushed around more by the pistols shrimps and clownfish. The pumps push enough water so that the LPS polyps show decent movement.
    If you have an Apex, my settings are in my profile.

17. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I really struggled with cyno for a time, ultimately I think it's really just part of the overall algae cycles tanks go through. Physically removing it (siphon out) helps, always grows back fast and annoys the heck out of you a day or so later but all helps. As much flow as you can is always a big help. Bunch of crabs can help.

That red slime remover stuff freaks me out but it's been used by some folks here with success who I respect their opinions and experiences.

18. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    From what I have seen in previous tanks once I get past the Cyano the tank seems to mature to a point where nutrient control and water changes when needed can keep the algae away. I wonder if this is just something that needs to run its course to get rid of all of the extra nutrients that were in the Rock and sand? If that is the case would I be better off just leaving it? Blow it off of any corals that it might try to over take and just see if it goes away on its own? Or use drastic measures such as chemicals to try to irradiate it. I actually think adding a massive clean up crew after the swap is what took it from hair/diatoms to Cyano.

Jason, aprox how far from the sand bed do you have your mp40? I was thinking of putting them as close as I could without a sand storm and then pointing my return lines at the surface to create ripples right now I have mine about half way up but I think I could probably go about 3 inches lower to get better flow along the sand bed where the algae is forming

19. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The MP40s are about 4-5 inches below the water line.
    The flow from the pumps create an undertow that moves the water along the sand bed.
    The one MP10 that is behind the rock is only about 6 inches above the sand bed, and it blows the sand away from the bottom glass. But that spot is only visible from the side so I don't mind it; much.

20. OP
    Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the reply, I might try moving the pumps up then,

In my eyes my corals are all doing great it seems most are growing and the rest are recovering from being bought at the swap

so really it's just the ugly Cyano that is bugging me. I might give some of that red slime remover a shot if moving the pumps up doesn't seem to help.