CB Hallucination God Paly

Discussion in 'Zoanthids' started by JDMREEF, Sep 8, 2015.

1. JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    anyone here have Cornbreds Hallucination God paly? or also known as the Adonis paly? I have a polyp coming in later this week and would like to know of anyone collects these high end sought after zoas. just wondering under what kind of parameters your high end zoas are being kept under. here is a pic of my new baby

[​IMG]

2. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    I guess no one here likes zoas, or atleast paying a decent, market fair pricetag for them lol wished the hobby was as strong up here in Minnesota as it is everywhere else. At MACNA this past weekend, $200 polyps were flying off the shelf, I almost couldn't even sell a 1 eye frag of cornbred flaming bugatti for $50 here lol

3. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I don't care for palys myself. I like large colonies of much smaller zoanthid polyps. Fair markget or not, it isn't worth it to me to pay hundreds for a single polyp that more times than not, just fall off the plug never to be seen again.

To each his own.

Have you actually participated in any club events to know or are you judging this only by the forum ? It is only as good as what you put into it IMO.

#3 David Grigor, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  4. ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    You do realize there is way more to the hobby than single polyps right? Lots of folks don't want to pay 200 bucks for something that will be worth 10% of that in a year.

And some folks don't even want coral ;)

#4 ArcKatana, Sep 9, 2015
  5. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    totally understandable, I was basing my claim off of pure collecting and trading corals aspect. I've been to some of the frequent shows and swaps and while amazing, still not comparable to the widespread and mainstream aspect say Florida or California has. the amount of vendors, people and just the buzz at these more major shows are outta this world.

I would say certain zoas retain their value very well. it all depends on the person and the worth of the coral to that person. same goes for high end sps like the Walt Disney acro and the orange passion or high end shrooms like bouce mushrooms.

6. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    hallucinations still command about $150-180 per polyp across the states and they've been out for years now.

7. David Grigor

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Different people are in different stages of life with careers, family etc. I once had no problem spend $400 on Duncan colony, nice orange hammer, show sized table acro or named coral this or that but that changes over time. Kids are getting older have there own interests/hobbies now that means less $ for my own hobbies. My interests change somewhat over time as well. I'm really not into that kind of $ commitment anymore.

I love a tank with good wide variety of color and that will never change. If I can get a nice blue from a tubs colony or nice orange from a bam bam etc. I'm okay with that doesn't have to 20+$ per polyps.

I also like a less blue tank and more of a 10K+actinics type of look. I have a red blasto that if you catch it just at the right time where it's not fully open you will see the crazy multi color sheen that people pay top dollar for but in reality most of the day its just a nice red/orange blasto. So I do get gun shy with photos such as above that are taken with just the right lighting to show it off the most.

Others certainly have different opinions and probably at a different stage of the hobby as well with different goals and objectives as to what to get from a club. My priorities, it's the people/relationship in the club and not so much the collector selection and availability that matter. To say the hobby stink ( my perception of post and not neccesarily your intention ) here in MN when you really don't actively participate, I take offense to.

#7 David Grigor, Sep 9, 2015
  8. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    To me names and trends and such with all this stuff isnt that important, like David said, if i can get the color/look i want from a less designer coral or even something unnamed id much rather do that than pay 3 or 4 times the amount to have the Joe Schmoe super rare special paly/frag/stick/eye/head etc

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    it's all understandable. different people in different t situation will cause different outcomes. I never said the scene here stinks or is bad, just stating that it's not up to the level of which you see at RAP or MACNA. I see the scene here in the Midwest as trending that way but not quite there yet. great people in the hobby here that's for sure but if you want to talk buisness wise and revenue wise with all the different vendors, I don't think we're are on that level yet. seems like there are just not enough local hobbyists to create that type of demand where we live.

10. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia Lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    To some, the hobby is about collecting. To some it's about meeting people. I've had conversations with fellow hobbyists (fish breeders, aggressive fowlr, etc.) where in practice we don't really have much of anything in common. There seems to be something for everyone in this hobby, but whatever it is that you value about it may not be commonplace. I find TCMAS to be pretty apathetic overall in regards to the collection aspect, which is something that I enjoy with regards to fish and sps. Personally, I think that it doesn't really make sense to expect others to enjoy the hobby the same way as you, whether it's collecting or attending events and meetings.

11. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    some people are willing to pay high dollar value for something you don't see frequently in the hobby and some other people are happy with their $10 frags of radioactive dragon eyes and whamming watermelons, to each his own.

12. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    I don't expect others to enjoy the hobby as in the same way I do. I'm just surprised there is no one here who enjoys it the way I do. it's true like you say, some people are in this hobby to collect and others are here to make friends and relationships. to each his own. for me, I'm in this hobby to collect and grow! making friends and relationships along the way are just a bonus

13. NeedMore

NeedMore I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have spent large amounts of $$$ for corals that I like, my preference. Just to make a point of various hobbyist interests, you would have to give me $25 to take that zoa or Paly from you just so I can throw it in the garbage. My opinion and experience, those particular corals are weeds, they will not go in my tanks, for any cost.

14. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    one of the big upsides to collecting high end coral are say you are wanting a light upgrade or maybe there's a new skimmer on the market. instead of waiting for your tax returns or collecting from bi weekly checks, just pluck out a piece from the tank, send it on its way, and wait for your new light to come in

15. NeedMore

NeedMore I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yep, you are correct, but that plucking does not have to come from only your preference of coral. Not sure you are aware, but there are many different types of high end coral and invertebrates. There are a lot of hobbyists here that do exactly what you are saying, maybe even some with your preference in coral. My personal preference of high end is sps, lps, and Anemonies, so does that make me lower end hobbyist than you?

I have been to a few Macna conferences, and I do agree they have absolutely stunning expensive pieces, and I have purchased a few of them, but it is a show.

16. David Grigor

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Scott, sounds like zoanthids are to you what chalices are to me. I love big zoanthid colonies ( self contained and not on main structure ) but challices if they would grow in a plate I would like them but unless you put them on the substrate they end up contouring. No matter how large and impressivie the size of chalice you can still see the perfectly round or square plug shape in the center.

17. OP
    JDMREEF

Fishies collected:
    I love many diff high end corals not just zoas. chalices and mushrooms being 2 of them. doesn't make anyone less of a collector, just wanted to know where the high end collectors are. I love trading and swapping frags but hate shipping them out. been hard pressed to really find someone to trade or even buy high end coral from locally lol

18. AsianReef

AsianReef Former: 90ct
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm trying to keep myself away from these drama, but this is so wrong. How do you know no one here enjoys collecting corals like you do? And how do you know no one here spend big $$$$ on corals? How many tank in this club that you have seen in person??? The way you talk, you must sit in front of your tank and using your imagination to talk about others.
    I've been in this club just few years compare to others. I had a chance to see less than 1/10 club members's tanks over years, and most of them make me drool all over because of their collections. They can spend hundreds if not thousands on something that they like, they just don't want to show. So don't judge our club so lightly.
    BTW, talk about your collections. I don't see you post pictures of your set up or your collection so we all can enjoys ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Noob_dude

Fishies collected:
    Also it is a might Just be a stereotype but in many aspects the Midwest spends less on lots of things (cars, houses, engagement rings)... It has its advantages when you can get corals at local swap for a much better price..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 Noob_dude, Sep 9, 2015
  20. Travis Dragan

Travis Dragan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    There are definitely high end collectors on the forum and locally but many of them seem to be quite quiet when it comes to being called out and asked to speak up.

• Informative Informative x 1