Cheap Strobe Modification

Discussion in 'Photography' started by RSnodgrass, Mar 20, 2016.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Finished a mod of my DS161 strobes to use on a Philippines trip.

I wasn't completely happy with the color produced by a normal flash as it's more washed out and not quite as "natural" as I'd like. To solve I tested a low, medium, and dark blue plexiglass on an aquarium similar to my torch mod. My personal preference was for the darker blue coloration and having two strobes seems to have ample brightness... I'll know for sure soon enough.

I took the stock diffuser and cut out the middle to preserve the locking mechanism and then cut the plexiglass with a 3" hole saw. The cutout was made easier by cutting a hole in a piece of wood first to use as a guide, this also allowed me to not use the drill bit on the hole saw. Then I used a grinder to take down the edge of the plexiglass a smidgen more for a snug fit.

I don't plan to use a yellow filter on the lens at night as I personally prefer the look without. In total I spent ~$30.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#1 RSnodgrass, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    For some perspective this would have cost well in excess of $200 to buy the Ikelite filters that are made for them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk