Cheezy's Eurobraced 210g SC aquariums

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by cheezybuda, Aug 31, 2015.

1. OP
    cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I had a scare this weekend. My KHG had a faulty float switch, so I had to send it in for repair. In doing that, all the small hoses had to be detatched. the "SW in" tubing sits in the sump. I was careful to place all the hose ends above the sump to prevent back flow and drain them. A few hours later, I came back to 2 inches of water in the cabinet. The SW hose had fallen down and since there is a little filter/check valve, it didn't drain.I pulled all of the hoses out and shop vacced the trough in the cabinet. Kudos goes out to @jlanger for making an amazing stand! The thing was damn near water tight.There was a little moisture on the carpet near the cabinet, but minimal.

I monitored it throughout the night to confirm that was the only problem. I had shut down my ATO to see if I was losing any more. I went back down a few hours later and noticed another puddle but not nearly as large.The water level was down. I was understandably nervous at that point. I had a game plan in place if I the sump had popped a seam, but I was not looking forward to spending the day dealing with it. On my next check I noticed that my skimmer wasn't generating nearly the heavy bubbles as usual. It was just some salt in the venturi. Sump level went back up, and I was able to get some sleep.

Thankfully the tank is large so the 2-3 gallons of RO/DI water didn't even budge my salinity.
    Now I big challenge is tuning my dKH until the KHG comes back. We are headed to Beijing in a couple weeks, so hopefully it gets back by then.

2. OP
    cheezybuda

Fishies collected:
    There was a casualty in all of the excitement of last week....my ATS. I must have unplugged the pump when I was clearing the cabinet out.
    I came back to this a few days later.
    dry ATS.jpg
    I took this as a sign that I should try the old chaeto ball method again, at least until I complete V2 of the algae scrubber. I only had a baseball sized chunk of chaeto that had been quarantined. Hopefully it grows quickly!

3. cypho

cypho I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    Does KHG report how much Alk it adds per day? So is it just a matter of setting dosing to what KHG has been doing? Or do you have to start from scratch at guessing dosing levels?

4. OP
    cheezybuda

Fishies collected:
    It does report how much it doses, so that was a good starting point. They have it setup only for sodium bicarbonate, so I had to do the conversion. I'm basically at the right dosage now.

BTW cypho, the pH probe that came with it was just a single junction so the lab grade BRS probe would be a great replacement. I thought they might actually use a lab grade probe, but I was mistaken.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk