Christmas tree rock worms

Discussion in 'SPS corals' started by Phillip Brassfield, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:00 PM.

1. Phillip Brassfield

3849 Chicago Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Fishies collected:
    Hey guys I'm new to this group and just wanted to reach out to you guys, I was curious if anyone has experience with PORITES coral and or Christmas tree worms. Here's the story, I got one online and when it came in was and is in not that great of shape. More than half of the worms were already dead and not only that I'm not really sure how to tell if the coral is still alive or not. To be honest with everyone it takes up up alot of space in my tank for something that is not doing so well and I'm not even sure what to do with it.

Thanks guys!
    Phil

2. OP
    Phillip Brassfield

Fishies collected:
    I will post photos later and if someone would love to try and revive it I would consider letting someone take it as I might try and find a healtyer colony

3. Discus fever

Fishies collected:
    Welcome to the forum! I only have a branching porites so not the same but it's pretty tough. The worms, i have no idea. Personally i would let it be and see how it recovers. If you cant tell whether it is dead or not, it probably isnt. Either way you will you will gain valuble experience by watching it. Usually when coral dies the flesh disintegrates and the skeleton shows white, then brown, green, or purple depending on how long you leave it there.

4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Most people have pretty poor success with Christmas Tree worms. Can't remember the last time I saw one in a tank.

If one half is without worms I'd consider smacking it in half with a chisel quick. Use your judgment and welcome!

5. OP
    Phillip Brassfield

Fishies collected:
    Ok yeah the empty holes are really spread out. I've had a fan worm for a while and it's been happy so I thought that cristmas tree worms would be fine. It looks like it has some green on it. There are white parts where it was fragged. I'm not sure fragging it would do any good. I tend to like to leave things alone and wait bet not sure there is anything to even wait on with this thing

Attached Files:

6. OP
    Phillip Brassfield

Fishies collected:
    They are hiding in this picture but I have only 6 of them still alive and that's how I got it. Never buy anything from aquariumcreationsonsonline ever! I got ripped off big time

7. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Wow, I checked out aquarium Creations online site... Everything seems so expensive.

8. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have had one for 6 months coral is growing and worms are doing great no issues at all

9. OP
    Phillip Brassfield

Fishies collected:
    Yeah I bought from them because I didn't find availability many other places. Not a good idea. I supplement phytoplankton twice a week and spot feed reef roids every once and a while. What do you think of my pic do you see the slight green? The polyps are so small I can't tell if it is alive other than the color.

10. OP
    Phillip Brassfield

Fishies collected:
    Jonty, do you feed your colony anything special?

11. clownnut

clownnut TUNNWOLC
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    first, i think the porites is dead.
    2nd, the aquariumcreationonline looks just like old aquacon with a name change.(never mind, they are aquacon...) i think aquacon have too many bad rep, now they change their name.

12. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I always thought the name "aquacon" was very fitting. Never heard anything good about them.

13. OP
    Phillip Brassfield

Fishies collected:
    That's kinda what I thought as well. I made a mistake! With that being said, I think I'm just going to toss it eventually. I don't know if I can frag the works out or not but maybe I'll try.

Thanks guys!