Clean Up Crew

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Dec 16, 2017.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    my reef has been up and running for about 4 months or so. 50 gallons, bare bottom.

Thinking of adding some little buddies to help keep things clean, mainly the rock, but glass wouldn't hurt either.

At SWE, I think they had all Trochus snails in display? You like?

A buddy of mine has all blue leg crabs to pick at rock?

Appreciate your thoughts

2. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Rock work displayed here.

3. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    966AC1E9-5DC8-4E80-81A8-CC41591F67A6.jpeg D6B4E402-0689-472B-9D44-EC2803383F6C.jpeg 61E3F466-1DC1-481B-B685-A53F29DD19EA.jpeg

And by here, I mean here

4. ZachsZoo

ZachsZoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Trochus snails are the way to go, I have 4 in my 10 gallon. Nano and I haven't had to clean the glass in 2 months! They are also very hardy, and cheap! By far the best cleaner! As for hermits, don't bother with it, they don't help nearly as much, they have low survival rates, and they will kill the snails for their shells eventually. If you put shells in your tank, that's fine but they are more of a display animal than an actual cleaner. Other good cleaners are emerald crabs(for bubble algae), brittle or serpent stars(they eat most algae), and berghia nudibranchs(for aptasia). Urchins can also be good, but they eat almost any algae which includes coraline algae. Some to stay away from are most other snails like turbo snails. They seem to have a low survival rate, and in my experience don't really do anything to help with algae control, they are basically just a waste of money. Cucumbers can sometimes eat algae but if they die they will release a toxin that will kill most of your livestock so I recommend staying away from them. Another to stay away from are sea slugs, they are excellent hair algae eaters, but they almost never last more than a month unless you have a really big tank. Hope this helps you!

5. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
  6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I limit my main CUC to only a couple of well behaved inverts.
    Banded (Black Foot) Trochus Snails
    Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
    The trochus snails will graze on the glass and rocks. They are also capable of uprighting themselves if they fall and get flipped over. The scarlet reef hermits are great foragers and tend to not bother anything else in the tank.
    I stay away from the small "colored"-legged hermit crabs as they are known to attack snails for their shells; certified snails being a favorite. I also stopped using the nerite snails as they really like to walk out of the water for some reason. Cerith snails just don't have the impact that the trochus snails have.

I will add emerald crabs if I get bubble algae; females have been described to be better behaved and more likely to eat the bubble algae.
    If I get aiptasia, peppermint shrimp have always worked; getting the correct species seems crucial to eradicating the aiptasia.
    I also keep some Nassarius Snails to help with my sand bed, but that doesn't apply to your system. My favorite Nassarius Snails are the Super Tongan variety, but they've been rare for years due to collection limitations. The other species are okay but they're either much smaller or don't live as long.

I would start with the trochus snails and scarlet reef hermits and try to keep the nuisance algae/aiptasia out of your tank.

7. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks all, how many would you start with

8. ZachsZoo

ZachsZoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I would recommend 20-25 small trochus, 3-4 emerald crabs, 3-4 peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranchs, and maybe a brittle star or 2! If you want hermits, I would only put 10-15 with a few small shells to be safe.

9. csb123

csb123 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I wouldn’t put too many snails in at this point. Your tank is very clean and they would starve if you put a lot in. Start with 6 or 7.