clown training

Discussion in 'Aquatics Breeding (Fish, coral, inverts)' started by reeffamily, May 25, 2017.

1. reeffamily

reeffamily Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    how do you train a tanked raised clown where the anemone is. my old clown died. got a new one, tank bread. he has no idea what to do with it. set him on top of it with no luck. do I need to get one that is already been living in an anemone?

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    You don't need to do anything.

Clownfish will eventually find the anemone on their own in their own time. It could be as soon as a day or two, but it takes some fish much longer; maybe years. A few generations removed from the reef does not erase millennia of natural instincts and behavior. Any interference from you will just create stress with the clownfish.

3. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I cheated and picked up a clown that loved anemones put it in my tank and she taught my other two

4. bdubz

bdubz Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    It took my clowns 2-1/2 years to get in my anemone. They would look at it like all day, get "stung" by it occasionally, but never get in. They were being hosted by my overflow. I then had some anthelia underneath them get big and started to grow in to where their home was and they just started to be hosted by the anthelia. After a few months, I got rid of the anthelia and I think they missed being hosted by something like that because the next day they were being hosted by the anemone on the other side of the tank. It was a happy day when that happened. 0a.gif
    But like Nickz's experience, once the male clownfish saw the female being hosted by the anemone, he went in right after.

I tried a lot of the tricks that are on the internet to no avail. Some of them were: put a computer screen up close to the tank with a video of clownfish being hosted by anemones, a video of a shark or predator to scare them in to the anemone, tried putting food near and in the anemone to try and lure them into it... nothing worked.

#4 bdubz, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  5. OP
    reeffamily

reeffamily Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    seems as though there should be an easy way. was trying not to wait 2 years like my last on

6. OP
    reeffamily

reeffamily Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    where do you find wild clowns or are they all tank breed now?