Coral QT

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by KJoFan, Jan 25, 2018.

1. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    How many folks here have a dedicated coral/invert QT they put all new coral and inverts in for say 76 days or whatever the lifecycle of ich is these days?

I’m debating going this route or just a coral tank with a sixline wrasse for pest control where I observe and dip the corals for a few weeks or something.

So let me know what you do and/or what route you recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AsianReef

AsianReef Former: 90ct
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm always quarantine my SPSs at least 4-6 wks before move them to my main system. You should expect at least 50% loss during the quarantine process. No wrasse should be added during quarantine, just dipping. If you add a wrasse in your quarantine tank, you kill the whole purposes of quarantine.

3. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    So you’d keep the coral qt fishless forever and qt all non fish inhabits through this system?

You don’t qt for a length of time that eliminates the potential to introduce ich though?

Is that not much of a concern to you?

4. AsianReef

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    When I quarantine my corals, it will be fishless. It's easy to said than done though, it's required a lot of work. For example, when I first got my corals, the first 2 weeks I will dip them twice a week. And every time after I dip them, I move them to a new quarantine system while I clean the old one to make sure whatever in that system will die/dry off. I've been doing this for yrs and no ich introduce to my tank, maybe I'm lucky, but definitely no bugs or flatworms survived during my quarantine.

5. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    What do you use to dip?

I’m mostly aiming to keep bugs/flatworms out of the display. I’m not super scared of ich. (Famous last words)

6. AsianReef

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have most of dipping solutions on the market and depend on what type of corals, I use different dipping solutions.

7. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    Well, I think I'll not add any fish to the coral QT/frag/holding tank, but I don't know that I'll go through such extensive QTing as you. I don't have the means/space to run multiple QT systems.

I upgraded to one larger tank from a few smaller ones to simplify things and am now running a dedicated coral QT and plan to run a fish QT as needed. This is escalating quickly. :D

8. AsianReef

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    It's a good practice. It was a pain in the *** at first. But after you do it few times, it will become easier. You don't need a large system for quarantine. You just need 2x of 10-20g tank, heaters, power heads, carbon rx, and one light system. Just dip and move to new quarantine tank, then you can slowly clean up the old one ready for the next dip.