Coral question

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by LilReef, Jun 13, 2011.

1. LilReef

Fishies collected:
    Are there any corals that you do not have to frag? I'm new to the world of corals (my tanks has been running for a couple of years) and it seems like they all do at some point. I just don't want something that will take over my tank like Aptasia. I have a 30 gallon with 30 + lbs of live rock and 2 power heads and want to start keeping corals and I'm trying to decide if I should go with led's or t5 for lighting. I'm no expert so I don't want very sensitive corals . I want a nice variety of corals to bring nice colors to my tank. What else will a clown host besides anem? Hubs like's purple tip Anem not sure if I want one.

Any suggestions?

I have clown fish, fire fish,hermits, peppermint shrimp that may have go go if I add corals I don't want shrimp to eat them.

#1 LilReef, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Flounder

Flounder Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Are there any corals that you do not have to frag?
    A: I dont think so. Hopefully everything you have will be healthy and grow! Fragging is easy and in many cases is a decent source of revenue. *You can cross that bridge when you get there. (There are many corals that grow in width, or numbers but not size. Like Zoanthids or Green Star Poylps. You wouldnt have to trim those back in size, but overtime probably in numbers)

Should I go with led's or t5 for lighting. I'm no expert so I don't want very sensitive corals .
    A: Both would suit you just fine. One is much more expensive up front. (LED) but does offer some long term payoffs. You would be able to raise any type of coral under either of those lightings. This gives you the flexibility to start off with easy corals and work your way into some that may be more challenging.

Decent beginner corals are "softies." These require less flow, less bright lights and less work. They come in any color and almost any shape. There are some incredible zoanthids and ricordias.

What else will a clown host besides anem?
    A: Mine hosts a large mushroom. I have had clowns host a large leather coral too. Some even host Green Star Polyps.

3. Reefer Sutherland

Reefer Sutherland Too Muddy...

Fishies collected:
    Sometimes a clown will host a frogspawn/hammer/torch coral. They look like a nem but are corals

4. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
    You don't have to frag corals if you don't want to. Some corals like xenia will overgrow your tank if not "trimmed" every two weeks.

Bright colored zoanthids (zoas, zoos) are great.
    Ricordea
    Mushrooms

Just choose the bright colors out of these catagorize to keep your tank brightly colored.

Clowns will host lots of things - see in the picture here the clown in the bottom left hand corner? He is in a hammer coral. (I love this tank)

Kryptonite candy cane corals are really bright (you could also get other kinds of candy cane)

5. OP
    LilReef

Fishies collected:
    Will Zoanthids just grow on the rock you set them on in the tank? Will they spread to rocks that aren't touching the rock they are on?

6. Merkurfan

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Rocks, sand, glass, plumbing, they will at some point grow on to any of them.

7. OP
    LilReef

Fishies collected:
    10.00 frags! I can't wait to see them.