Cubed!

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by OldNemo, Feb 9, 2018.

1. OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    So here goes...

I have, like others, been in and out of reefing over the years due to work and family commitments. Well the time has come again (ok it came about 3 years ago) to get back into it. The last larger reef I had up was in 2010 or so that did not last long due to those work commitments. It was a bare bottom SPS 40 breeder with minimalist rock work. The build thread is on here somewhere.

[​IMG]

Fast forward to about 3 years ago when one of my daughter's wanted a small tank so I bought her a Fluval Spec V and had fancy guppies. Well that turned into a nano mixed reef. So in the fall of 2016 I bought an Innovative Marine Fusion 20 and am now outgrowing with monti's and birdsnests growing off the glass. Everything has been trimmed back considerably. I stated with two AI Prime HD and had success but moved to the G4 Pro in November 2017 in anticipation of this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I have greatly enjoyed the nano experience, I found it tough to maintain proper parameters at times and, honestly, I want more fish. I love corals but fish within a reef is where it is at for me. In fact I plan to stuff my next tank with fish and mostly wrasse.

So that leads to this build thread. My current 20 gallon is in a corner next to my bar in my finished basement so I thought it fitting (ok my better half wanted to keep it there for interior design purposes) to go with the biggest tank I could fit in the space. After looking at different aquarium builders etc, I ended up with a new Marineland 93 rimless cube.

However, I really dislike the manufactured stands so I used my DIY skills and built a stand. I started with a 2x4 frame and Kreg jig. A little overkill probably but I can sleep at night now. The skin is 3/4 maple with crown moulding and 3/4' ply on the top. The top is removable for transport etc.

[​IMG]

The inside is painted with appliance epoxy and waterproof expandable caulk. I was directed to use cream based paint and to spray so I did that but it ended up a little too white.

[​IMG]

So I ended up with this gray tone for a stand color and love it!

[​IMG]

That leads to the doors. I wanted something a little different and to be recessed so I made my own out of maple 1x3 and 3/4" x 3/4" square dowels. Oh and I stained them.

[​IMG]

So now you ask, are you keeping them open? Nope, I picked up some glass and used mirrored spray paint but also antiqued them by flicking water and vinegar mix.

[​IMG]

The doors ended up like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plumbing was next plus I plan to add electronics board just to the right of the return pump. It will be affixed just inside the door on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am also building a water station in my utility room at the same time so double the plumbing fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to stay with the Durso, but it took me forever to decide which hole to make as the drain. Since the sump hole was directly beneath one I decided to use it and have it drop straight into the sump. However the return has been the issue. I made a small manifold and attached it to the cross brace sort of out of the way.

[​IMG]

Plumbing was completed last weekend

[​IMG]

need to install the control panel this weekend

Water testing tank with RO and then adding more RO to test plumbing. Can only make so much at a time! Excited but nervous as it is going into same spot as my existing reef.

I started to seed new live rock about 2.5 mos ago with periodic water changes so plan to add that as base for new tank with old tank live rock and corals on top. All new sand.

Bruno is excited for the move and new tankmates.

[​IMG]

Oh and here is the equipment list:

Marineland 93 rimless cube
    DIY stand
    Eschopps RS 100 sump
    Reef Octopus Elite 150SSS skimmer
    Reef Octo Varios 6 return
    Bashsea PM III reactor ( maybe chaeto or maybe run pellets)
    EcoTech MP 10 (from IM 20)
    Gyre 230
    EcoTech Radion G4 Pro
    Aqualife LED/T5 Hybrid with 2 Blue + and 2 Coral +
    Jaeobo doser
    IM ATO reservoir
    Smart ATO

Right now I have mainly SPS but plan to do more LPS in the new tank as it may be a little dirtier due to heavy bio load.

Right now just one fairy wrasse, C. Brunneus, but soon to be many more.

• Like Like x 3
  2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    The Stand looks great, keep us updated.

3. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Looks like you’re off to a great start. Excited to see this come together! Any ideas on future livestock?

4. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Your Fusion is awesome!! I hope you have the same success with the new 93 cube. The stand, filtration, and plumbing looks great so far.

5. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Yours isn’t too shabby either.

Testing plumbing tomorrow!

6. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Yeah I have long list of livestock I need to shorten Mainly wrasse

C. Brunneus
    C. Lineatus
    C. Rhomboldalis
    C. Johnsoni
    C. Exquisitus
    C. Jordani
    P. Attenuatus
    P. Alfiani
    A. chrysocephalus
    M. geoffroy
    Harem of anthia (evansi or Bartlett’s perhaps)
    Yellow assessors
    Sandsifter of some sort

One tang but still deciding which one.

7. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    29770F47-F966-46E4-81D6-D578C212B9A1.jpeg Plumbing and tank tested with RO. Draining tonight and switching places with the IM 20 tomorrow. Figures crossed all goes well. Have to replace regular outlet with GFCI as precaution and hang LED/T5 before I fill and move over so busy day tomorrow.

8. acharpenter

acharpenter Administrator
    Staff Member Site Admin BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    You still alive? All go well I hope?

9. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Yep. Just delayed move. Hope to remove the furniture discs today from under the tank and add water. Then new rock with old rock from IM 20 on top.

Removing the corner disc will be fun.

2B1BF6BB-85D2-49B9-AD07-A1FF06468408.jpeg 1BE286A7-6FF6-406E-96D8-976BDD845DCA.jpeg [

10. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    D75A814C-5991-428B-869D-70C3596625E5.jpeg 6A6DCFFE-024E-4188-B044-77348EBFEDF8.jpeg

Alright it’s wet. I also added the new rock I’ve had stewing and sand. Sand storm alert. It ran overnight. Need to rearrange the sand some and add a tad more.

Animals, live rock and most of water from IM 20 goi g over tonight.

Working on a little cord maintenance as well.

New fishes this weekend!

11. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    C4F240B2-0C9C-4D6B-A8A8-1761158F8EAA.jpeg Corals and my lone Brunneus fairy wrasse have been moved. Still have to aquascape and place some loose corals.

12. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Cord maintenance is done under stand and rocks in place. Plenty of cubbies and hiding places. Still have to place drags yet but getting there.

AF8EBD3E-24CA-41F2-8F6F-4D31B316050A.jpeg

8044FF3B-C8F4-45E1-9145-3FEF38371868.jpeg

ADE2D961-FCD7-4973-B7F9-785EA0CD4F52.jpeg 425335FC-947F-4E06-98AF-A34D1F2251BE.jpeg 04913BF8-8DBB-4F05-B41F-0DD27AC007E6.jpeg

13. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    So haven’t posted in a while but thought I would give update on a bump in the road. I suppose we all go through something like this in the hobby at one point or another.

Things were going swimmingly for a while until a little over a month ago. I had 6 wrasse and my white tail tang eating like pigs and getting along great. But they all died within two weeks after I noticed what I thought was ICH at first but turned out to be velvet. I was going to maintain the ICH instead of trying to eradicate at first as I have done over the years but the white tail one morning had too many spots for it to be ICH . The tang died first and then it wiped out all my wrasse. Cleaner first, then both juvenile Rhombodalis and Exquisite. My Jordani and Brunneus lasted the longest but both died in QT. The Brunneus was with me for almost 2 years. I was lucky enough to trap them in my acclimation box instead of dismantling the tank to remove them. I fresh water dipped and then gave them 75 min bath in Ruby Reef. They died in Cupramine treatment within a week. I don't know if they succumbed to the velvet or died from not eating or maybe some internal parasite. They were swimming but just not eating.

Now my DT is about 37 days fallow and I don't hit the magic 76th day until early June. Currently, I feed the tank and corals with mysis and reef roids once a week and have had my skimmer on and off but now has been off for about 2 weeks. Trying to maintain some dirty water for my SPS and LPS. My phosphates have been about .06 using this method. Everything is growing well and am getting alot of PE.

DT 2.jpg

DT 3.jpg

DT 5.jpg

DT 4.jpg

So after years of playing with fire I guess and no QT, I have a QT system set up now. A 20L for observation and prazi treatments, and two 10 gallons for TTM. Right now I have three wrasse in QT that have been doing well for a little over two weeks.

My wrasse list is pretty extensive but these three are a great start. They are eating like pigs.

[​IMG]

C. Rhombodalis (sub-male)
    C. Lineatus (sub-male)
    C. Isosceles (sub-male but on his way to terminal)

Just finished second round of prazi and plan to observe through the weekend. I'll then start TTM on these three to eliminate any hidden ICH.

But now need to make decision on whether I start QTing corals and inverts. Hmmm....

14. Flounder

Flounder Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  15. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I almost talked myself out of having wrasses in my new system; almost.
    Beautiful fishes!!!

16. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Yeah, after years of having alot of different types of fish, I have really enjoyed them so this tank will be wrasse dominant with some not so common ones. Pretty excited about it.

17. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! yeah can't go wrong with them if you avoid a few aggressive types. I love how active the tank is with wrasse.

18. clownnut

clownnut TUNNWOLC
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    very nice selection of wrasses.

19. OP
    OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! I have a few other gems up my sleeve as well. ;)

20. clownnut

clownnut TUNNWOLC
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    cant wait to see that. :)