cypho's 36" DIY reef

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by cypho, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    The machines are taking over.

Holy crap that's a very bad couple of days sorry to hear this.

2. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm always happy to see your thread get updated thinking "I wonder what cool thing William did now?" Your latest updates were very hard to read. I feel for you and am so sorry to see the tank went Hindenburg on you.

Thanks for posting a detailed account of the disaster. There are things we can all learn. The club is giving you a giant group hug.

3. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Wow, talk about a perfect storm. So sorry to hear.

4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President

Fishies collected:
    Wow... wow

Well you know what kind of things I keep, not likely much you'd be interested in but if there is let me know and I'd be happy to split it once you feel up to it. I wouldn't even have a system running right now without your help so say the word.

Your system literally DoS attacked itself, tough to ever see that one coming.

5. Reefking

Fishies collected:
    I second that motion. Let me know if I can bring you some disaster relief frags on nov 18th at the frag swap. These will all be FREE of charge! I consider you a statesman within the hobby! :);) I couldn’t even imagine how you are coping with this loss as it’s like losing a family pet. I hope you take me up on my offer...

Regards
    Reefking

6. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Sorry to hear Will, hope the tank gets back to normal for you.

7. LoganLaBonne

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I don't have much for frags out of my little tank but PM me if you're interested in a few to get you going again. Free of course.

8. OP
    cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I wish I could find a defective part that I could replace and declare the controller fixed. But after a week of troubleshooting, I have been unable to find any hardware explanation for what happened. Everything seems to be working fine now. The only thing broken is my trust.

So for now I have plugged everything back into the controller but I will be thinking hard about what (if anything) I can do prevent something like this from happening again. Possibly an second controller capable forcing all equipment into a non-deadly position (heaters off, in-tank circulation on, dosing off, etc) by cutting power upstream to things that are safer in the off position, or bypassing the main controller for things that are safer in the on position.

For a bit of good news.

Other than the regal angel (no longer MIA, but not alive) There have been no additional deaths. Even the pavona and leptos that I was ready to write off are beginning to recover recover. And now that there has been time for diatoms to start settling in on the dead skeleton, I can now see some of the acros are not dead - just bleached. Still a huge loss of acro, but slightly less than 100%.

9. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Do I give this a thumbs up? Thanks for the update.

10. OP
    cypho

cypho I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    And onto other things.

I have finally finished the hardware for my diy auto-titrator. 8 extremely precise peristaltic pumps and a reaction chamber with magnetic stir bar, RGB color sensor, pH probe, and Raspberry pi zero-w all assembled and wired up.

I ordered chemicals for the Alk test (0.01 N HCl) today and with any luck I'll find time to get the software done by the time the chemicals arrive. If the alkalinity test works I'll order chemicals for Ca and Mg.

Still not sure about sample size. I think it will take about 15ml to submerge the tip of the pH probe so that will be the minimum, but I can easily go much larger if needed for increased precision.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#210 cypho, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    That is worthy of a thumbs up... "The Real Good Will Hunting (cough Heaton)"!

For continuity can you please have this "just play" a piano tune as an alarm? (o;

12. OP
    cypho

cypho I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    Thinking out out loud here - I am not totally sure about this math. But I think this is how the alk test will work.

Step 1 - pump tank water into reaction chamber
    Step 2 - slowly add 0.01N HCl reagent until pH drops to 4.5

There is no step 3. If the sample size is 10ml, the alkalinity (in meq/l) is exactly equal the amount of acid used (in ml). So if it takes 2.5ml of acid, the alkalinity is 2.5meq/l (which is 7dkH).

My peristaltic pumps are absurdly accurate accurate - I think better than 1% of a drop, maybe even better than 0.1% of a drop, but the reagent will fall into the reaction chamber drop by drop. So unless I can somehow get the reagent into the sample without it forming into drops, the limiting factor on precision will be the size of the reagent droplets. A quick google search says that 1ml is about 20 drops.

So with a 10ml sample, my precision is 0.05 meq/l which is 0.14 dkH. To put that into perspective, the Hana Alk Checker claims an accuracy of 5ppm which is 0.28 dkh. So a 10 ml sample could be twice as accurate as the Hana checker.

However if I increase the sample size, each drop becomes a smaller % total and the precision goes up even further.

With a 15ml sample, precision is 0.0333 meq/l (0.093 dkH)
    With a 100ml sample, precision is 0.005 meq/l (0.014 dkH)

It would be fun to look at graph showing minute-minute changes in alkalinity thought the day each and every day. However to see minute to minute changes, I would need to use those large 100ml samples and that would get really expensive.

4000 ml of reagent on amazon costs $45. That is enough for 160 tests on a 100ml sample (assuming alkalinity of 2.5meq/l). So the cost is $0.28 per test. Two tests per hour = 0.28 * 48*365 = $4905.60/year. Ouch - I won't be doing that.

On the other hand - the 10ml tests only costs $0.028. So one 10ml test per day only costs $10.22 per year. Considering I currently test alk less than once a week - that is still a huge step up from where I am at now.

However, even if I want to try to maintain Alk rock solid by adjusting dosing rate over the course of the day, I don't think I there is really any need to run super accurate tests all day long every day.

Because even if the total consumption goes up and down a bit from day to day, I think it is safe to assume that % of daily consumption used at any particular minute would not change all that much from day to day.

First I could build a minute-to-minute consumption profile by frequently measuring Alk consumption using large samples over the course of one day. Then going forward I should be able run one large sample test per day and use that to scale the profile to estimate consumption at any given time.

Then for the rest of the day I could do periodic small sample tests for an early alert in case something goes wrong. Wouldn't that be fun a fun emergency alert. "Warning - Alk is 0.3 dKh above expected. Running large sample test to verify - please stay tuned."

#212 cypho, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1