Deltec Skimmer?

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Aug 15, 2017.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    i am building a reef system, approximately 60 gallons, any skimmer recommendations?

Was looking at Deltec SCA 1351, any feedback on Deltec?

2. abhishek

Fishies collected:
    Well if anything, I have got the Deltec 1350 for my 70 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump only acropora tank with 5 Randall's anthias , blue star leopards , clowns, other fairy wrasses and copperband butterfly fed upto 4 times a day .

At the end its all about balance and how easy it is to tune the skimmer .

If you have a 60 gallon, you should stick to 1350 . One of the best skimmers you can find to tune and half the cost of Bubble King and performs as good .

Am planning for a bigger tank and going for Deltec 1455 but for a 60 gallon, wouldn't dream of it as Deltecs are very conservatively rated . You wouldn't want your skimmer to sit idle .

One of the best vendors for sps especially acropora in the country - Adam from Battlecorals uses Deltec too !!

This is what is pulls in 24-30 hours after being cleaned with vinegar . Need I say more .

Deltec skimmate 1.jpg

Deltec skimmate 2.jpg

Regards,
    Abhishek

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I run the SCA 1351 on my 40 gallon system and it works very well. Super consistent.

4. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Hear nothing but great things about Deltec. Vertex is also an option, very high quality and works amazing, however tuning can sometimes be a challenge.

5. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a Vertex 150 awhile back; I agree...great construction but needed a lot of dialing in. I think the Deltec might be the way to go. Thanks

6. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I got mine from Battlecorals, looks like he stopped carrying them? And Marinedepot is the US distributor now?

7. coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm running the 1351 on a 60 gallon and I'm happy with it.

8. LoJenn

LoJenn Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I Bought a Skimz SM 161 recently, which currently in break in period. Plz explain to me how your skimmer achieves the rich black thick and possibly skimmate?

9. abhishek

Fishies collected:
    Well every skimmer is different and every tank and dissolves organizations too .
    Most of the high end brands like Deltec and Bubble King make it easy to dial in and often have shorter break in period .
    I would allow the skimmer to be placed in recommended water level , fully open the gate valve and let it break in . Then slowly close the gate valve and watch over the skimmate over time .
    It will take time like 2-3 weeks to be tuned but you have to be patient . Once you change gen the gate valve position , I would suggest to wait for a day to change it again . Frequently changing it will make you go round and round in circles .

Regards,
    ABHISHEK

10. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I ended up going with the Deltec as well, very easy to dial in. Would recommend.

11. LoJenn

LoJenn Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Well in my search for a new skimmer, Shimz fit my budget, If I learn EVER a little patients i'm sure it will work out fine. On day three of NO adjusting, skimmate starting to look good. Thx for your help