DFS in Rhinelander closing

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by curlyq, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:23 AM.

1. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Interesting. I liked ordering my salt from fosters....

2. Gary

Gary Started in '96
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

Live Aquaria and most other wholesalers have had trouble with Uronema over the last 6 months. I've had many fish die in quarantine using Prazi followed by Cuprimine. Fortunately none have made it even close the any of my display tanks. Video coming soon on this and ways to fight it.

Uronema marinum
    Uronema marinum is a free-living rather than obligate parasite as it feeds on live food, dead tissue and bacteria. However, this parasite is opportunistic and, it is often found on recently captured, transported, or otherwise weakened hosts. Poor conditions and stress are believed to be factors as they negatively impact the host’s immune system. Uronema marinum infects fish within a wide temperature and salinity range and invades the internal organs in advanced stages.

Reproduction
    Reproduction is by fission.

Symptoms
    Early on, increased mucus production and hyperactivity may be seen as symptoms of Uronema marinuminfection. Focal de-pigmentation, ulceration and pitting of the skin, respiratory distress, lethargy, flashing, clamped fins, erratic swimming, gasping at the surface or laying at the bottom of the aquarium are symptoms. Raised scales with bloody patches (hemorrhages) can also be exhibited. These lesions can be difficult to distinguish from those exhibited with vibrio bacterial infections.

• Excess mucus production
    • Hyperactivity early in infection
    • Focal de-pigmentation
    • Ulceration and pitting of the skin
    • Respiratory distress
    • Lethargy
    • Clamped fins
    • Gasping at the surface or sitting on the bottom
    • Raised scales with bloody patches
    • Flashing
    • Erratic swimming
    Treatment
    It is crucial to begin treatment early before this parasite invades internal organs. Early stages of infection may be controlled with freshwater or formalin dips (Basiola and Gratzek,1992.). Some success has been reported with nitrofurazone and methylene blue (Chueng et al., 1980. Bassleer, 1983). Experimental treatments with anti-malaria drugs such as chloroquine and quinacrine hold some promise. Hydrogen peroxide can be effective against parasites on external surfaces, but it is not well tolerated by some fish. Systemic infections have a poor prognosis. Secondary bacterial infection is common. It may be wise to follow formalin or freshwater dips with a course of nitrofurazone treatment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    curlyq

Interestingly enough, it seems as though liveaquaria, and their livestock business is going to be relatively unchanged. It looked like dry goods are going away. I wonder if it's due to competition from big giants amazon, and smaller BRS/aquacave, etc, and others who have grown up more and can compete not only with prices, but with knowledge and assistance.

4. nox.rupaw

nox.rupaw I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

I suspect all the items that were part of DFS big sale over summer won't be carried again. Items/products that have some demand/high enough margin will be moved under the petco website. It makes business sense for them to have operations run out of Petco hq in San Diego, and sunset the DFS brand. Standard merger and acquisitions practice.... leave things be initially and make major changes at a later stage.

Glad to hear that Petco let LiveAquaria be. For now atleast. But i imagine in a few months time they'll gut some more staff and then they'll make a business case to move Live Aquaria operations to California. No sense in having a marine aquaria operation in middle America vs the coast.

5. OP
    curlyq

I've often wondered how/why Rhinelander came to be so important in LA marine sales. Itty-bitty airport in the middle of the country. LA does make a lot more sense.

It's a huge loss for Rhinelander though. I know some people who live up that way, and DFS is/was a huge part of their local economy.

6. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I bet you are right about liveaquaria being moved at a later date to California. It’s a possibility...

7. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I ordered more salt using the code extra25 from dfs today. I now have over 13 T-shirt’s !

8. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

There's a long story behind that...

Short story.
    DFS (two actual veterinarians named Foster and Smith based in Rhinelander) was expanding into the online sales of pet supplies and in doing so, they purchased a bunch of smaller outlets; mostly for their customer data base. In that group was an online livestock company named Flying Fish Express (whom I made purchases from). Wallah, online fish and coral sales in Wisconsin.

More info/thoughts regarding the news story...
    The LiveAquaria division of the company is not being affected. They will still be offering livestock from Rhinelander and California.
    However, the dry goods seem to have been moved to the LiveAquaria website. So it appears that we will still be able to buy aquatic supplies from them; just probably not being shipped from Rhinelander.
    Years ago, the aquarium supplies were actually moved from the main DFS website to their own page. So it seems like moving the supplies to a LiveAquaria hosted page was an easy decision for PetCo. I would assume the other pet supplies (dogs, cats, birds, rodents, reptiles, etc.) will be sold under the PetCo website.
    So for the hobbyists, not much will be changing at the moment. But for the community of Rhinelander, this is a big deal.

• Like Like x 1