Discussion: Favorite Fish and why?

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Jul 24, 2015.

1. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    New TCMAS Weekly Discussion

We would like to get more reef related discussions going on the forum. We will post a weekly topic to get the discussion started then let you all take it from there. The rules are simple, keep on topic and keep it positive.

This weeks topic: What is your favorite fish and why? Post pictures if you can and any special care requirements.

Also, feel free to post an idea for future topics as well.

#1 mnmuskyman2011, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  2. Omen

Omen I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Clown fishes are my favorite because of their colors and endless possibilities of patterns and they are just fun to have in the tank. Its nice to have them host some corals and everyone notices them when they look at the tank.

Next possible topic........water changes? How often and how much do you change your water? What do you check for in maintenance?

[​IMG]

#2 Omen, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the topic suggestion.

4. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Pretty much any angel is my favorite. Perfect 'fish' body shape, great colors, usually active, smart with personalities to match. To me the real embodiment of what salt water fish are all about.

Second place would be the last fish I got. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I thought I was going to answer with the answer I've used for years; the Harlequin Tuskfish.
    But based on my current system and experience, I've come up with a different answer.
    It's going to be... the Kole Tang.

[​IMG]

I have kept a Kole Tang in every aquarium I have ever owned.
    These fish have many benefits to a saltwater aquarium. For starters, their smaller size allows them to be kept in moderate-sized systems. They are not too aggressive towards other fish; and that says something about tangs. Their behavior in the tank is very endearing; "flipping" along in the water flow and bobbing in and out of the rocks. Being a constant grazer, they help keep algae issues to a minimum; even combing the glass. And I think they are actually a beautiful fish; bright yellow eyes on a striped deep purple and lavendar body with yellow/orange accents.

I don't really have any special requirements for the care of the Kole Tangs.
    They eat everything! Along with grazing algae and devouring frozen reef-mixed foods. And being a detrivore, don't freak out when they eat the feces of other fish.
    Being that they are a tang, they are prone to ich; often the first to show signs of an outbreak being they have a dark body color.

I still would love to have a Harlequin Tuskfish someday, but the Kole Tang is my favorite fish today.

Possible topic: What supplements (besides Ca/Alk/Mg) are people dosing to their tanks? And what benefits are you noticing?

#5 jlanger, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the topic Jason.

7. Fish4Me2

Fish4Me2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If I limit my response to fish I've actually had in my tank, instead of all possible fish, the diamond goby would have to be my favorite. He was such an industrious little fish, constantly grabbing a mouthful of sand and sifting it for things he could eat. I think someone posted a similar video a few days back, but it was also really funny to watch him pick up snails and hermits in his mouth and move them when they got too close to his burrow/cave. I also found that non-fish people thought it was hysterical when they asked me what fish I had in my tank and I'd do my best goby impression while trying to describe him. :)

As to special care, in my experience, gobies are fairly peaceful and shy fish. Everything scared the goby, which made feeding him a real challenge. He was with me for five years, but during the last two, I had to scare off the other fish and target feed the goby in order for him to get even a few pieces of food.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    My favorite has to be the scooter blenny (dragonet). I have had a few, some were shy but the first one we had (RIP) was by far the most entertaining fish we've had. We had to literally feed it by had at the beginning. I had to put frozen my sister chunks right up to his mouth so he would nibble on it. He eventually ate anything he could find...frozen, flake, pellet, etc.
    He would constantly put on mating displays even though there was no female in the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

Fishies collected:
    I would have to say my personal favorite fish is the Blue Spot Jawfish. I love the coloration and they have so much personality. Screen tops are a must because they jump. They tend to like cooler tanks but the one I had did just fine in my 77° tank until he jumped when I was digging in the tank selling some corals. Mine ate a mix of meaty foods and also pellets.
    A close 2nd would be my onyx Picasso clowns. I love that each one has a unique orange, black and white pattern.

10. vandy10

Fishies collected:
    I would have to say that my pair of percula clowns are the favorite in my tank. I just love the personality they have. My clowns are very protective of their area and are quick to attack your hand. Everyone that comes over likes to try that out for themselves :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My first reaction to this is "How can one possibly have a favorite fish?" and my second reaction is "Freshwater or saltwater, or both?"

While protesting the idea that there could possibly be only one favorite, or even ten favorites, I will say that in the context of reef tanks, the very first fish that popped into my mind was sailfin tangs.

I LOVE sailfin tangs. They are active and outgoing, and eager to eat from your fingers. They have lovely huge fins (I tend to really like fish with naturally large fins .... other favorites of mine are freshwater angelfish and sailfin mollies). Their colors change rapidly with their moods. They are graceful. In terms of personality and interactiveness with their keeper, they seem much cooler than, say, the several purple tangs I've had.

Also, like all tangs, they strike me as being very intelligent. They learn quickly, and seem to have long memories (e.g., if a tang decides it can't trust you, that you are unsafe, it takes a long time to regain their trust!).

My strong preference is the "standard" sailfin tangs. Though the red sea salifins are almost identical in all but color, I really like the colors (and the color changes) of the standard ones (Pacific sailfin tangs?) a lot more. The bold stripes are really nice, and they seem to have more dramatic color changes with changing mood.

Also, large ones seem to mow down pretty much any algae they encounter. Well, I'm sure there are some algae they don't like, but they will certainly eat Valonia. The ability to keep large tangs that will eat problem algae like this is one of the advantages of having a larger tank.

#11 capman, Jul 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer

Fishies collected:
    I have always had a personal liking to longnose hawkfish. I really like the camouflage patterns and the way it hangs out. Just in the last 2 months I left the screen cover off overnight and my 8+ year old hawkfish jumped.

One or my longtime reefing buddies ( has been out of the hobby for many years now ) had one they called "Fred". So while I don't name fish usually we call'em "Fred" for this reason. There was an episode of "King of Queens" where Doug's Mom kept buying same breed dogbecuase they never had the heart to tell him his dog died. It wasn't until Carry pointed out that his dog would be 30 years old that he even caught on. Like that episode, "Fred" lives on no matter how many generations it actually is.

#12 David Grigor, Jul 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gary

Gary Started in '96
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've always liked the Purple Tang a lot. Had one for many years in my old reef system back in the late 90's-early 2k's. Not sure how long I had him but it was many years. Now I have a pretty large one that I've had for about a year and a half. He can be kind of nasty to other Tangs for a while but it's definitely not a killer like the one I had before. I also enjoyed the Achilles Tang I had before the major Ich outbreak. He was very active and kind of a character to watch darting around the tank. Unfortunately the Ich got him, watch my episode on Tang Wars to see them both.

14. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I do have a soft spot for my Kole Tang. Lots of personality, and was super cute when he was tiny.

As far as aggression goes though (obviously varies fish to fish) My kole was pretty chill when I first got him as a little guy.
    But he has been much more aggressive since I switched from the 55 to the 90.
    Aggressive towards, wrasses, my clowns, gobies, lawnmower blenny, occasionally picking on my scooter bennies.

Not sure if the environment change was a trigger or just that the fish got old and larger than all of the tank mates.

I managed to catch my kole and it is currently chilling in my FOWLR sump for a while so the other fish in the tank can get established. Unfortunately if the aggression continues I think I would have to post the fish on the forum to be re-homed.

As I said, I really love the fish. I just wanted to post a quick note about aggression since I have ran into issues.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    That's a bummer.
    Maybe it has something to do with the size of their tank mates. My Kole Tangs have usually had a fish as large (if not larger) in the tank with them; like an angelfish or another tang. Maybe having a more dominant tank mate keeps the Kole Tang's aggressiveness in balance.
    I can see where the aggressiveness could come from, as my tang likes to size up and "dance" with the new additions. But this only lasts that first day before becoming a non-issue. My Kole Tang will will cruise the tank with my other tang and rabbitfishes looking for algae.
    If you would like to keep the tang, try adding another fish that will out-compete the tang for dominance and see what happens then.

• Like Like x 1
  16. infinityends

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I have a young annularis angel in the 75 along with the clowns ( I know it will outgrow the tank and need to be re-homed). I don't want to subject it to the tang yet as it is just now becoming less shy and willing to stay out an not hide when I'm near the tank.
    My plan is to also add a dwarf angel and a fuji or valentini puffer. I'd like a trigger of some kind as well, but I don't want to have too many fish that will outgrow the tank too quickly, and I don't want to have too many large fish and cause problems that way either.

• Like Like x 1
  17. infinityends

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I can't really say a favorite fish. I have a favorite family of fish. Dragonettes.

I fell in love with these guys immediately, and a scooter blenny was one of my first saltwater fish.
    I just love the way they move around using their pectoral fins as feet, they have so much personality, and it is entertaining to watch them "cliff dive" from the top of a rock structure to the sandbed.

Obviously the mandarins are the most widely known of the group, and while I like my mandarins, well mandarin since I literally just lost my spotted this week. I feel like you see a lot more personality out of the scooter bennies.

I miss my old scooter and red scooter, they did the mating dance nightly. Sadly they have both since passed on...

The scooters are also generally easier to train onto frozen food IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  18. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    My favorite fish has always been the Midas Blenny

They are colorful, have purple eyelashes, have personality and they "back in" to their hides.

Past that - my favorite fish would be goby's - but they wouldn't be a favorite if not for the symbiotic relationship they have with the shrimp.

Video of my past pair of gobies and pair of shrimp (one of the shrimp has passed so now its 2 goby's and one shrimp) - be sure to watch long enough to see the pair of gobies protecting the pair of shrimp as they work on the den:

[youtube]XcSwoTatAjA[/youtube]

#18 acharpenter, Jul 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rkolo750

rkolo750 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Reef Anglerfish......... as a group.

I just like there behaviour patterns, slow, ambush predator, cryptic yet beautiful coloration.

Special considerations: They can eat something larger than themselves..... very risky in a reef tank! They can very temperamental after shipping if you buy online and hard to feed.

Ive only kept one for a couple years during undergrad, thought it was awesome, gave it to the pet store when I had to move on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ohuno

ohuno Event Committee
    Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Well I would have to say my favorite is Fred our yellow headed jawfish. He is quite the industrious character, he has built a townhouse in the tank that he shares with a peppermint shrimp.

[​IMG]

#20 ohuno, Jul 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1