Discussion: Favorite Fish and why?

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Jul 24, 2015.

1. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hawkfish are indeed very cool. I've never kept longnose hawkfish (but have wanted to), but one of my first marine fish was a falco hawkfish that I was given by a Minnesota Aquarium Society member for the lab tanks. I'm kind of wishing we had some sort of hawkfish in the tanks now in fact (though I imagine they tend to eat shrimp?).

I'll say that another real favorite of mine is the yellow headed jawfish, especially if you have a setup where you can have a group of them. And when we had these some years ago in the lab, they were favorites of students as well.

We have a new science building in the works (we are a couple years before move in, but after YEARS of planning and attempts at fundraising, the fundraising has finally gone really well and the college now is committed - this is really happening now!). And it looks like we'll be setting up reef tanks in the new building (hopefully publicly viewable from the hallway this time, but none of the details are worked out yet ... and it is unclear at this time to me where the money for a new system is going to be coming from...). I do hope to be able to design this new system in a way that will allow us to keep a group of yellow headed jawfish again though - students and visitors would absolutely love this!

#21 capman, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    After watching Angie's video, I now see something else that would be great to try to include in our lab tanks in the new building. So cool!

• Like Like x 1
  3. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    And scooter blennies too!

This is a useful thread, giving me some good ideas for long-range planning.

Incidentally, a fish I have long wanted to keep but have not had opportunity to keep yet is the niger triggerfish. Such amazingly cool fish. I probably will never have opportunity to keep these though. I don't know how reef safe they are, and I fear they would maybe eat shrimp and various small fish (e.g. things like yellow clown gobies) that we'd want to keep in any large reef setup we might have.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Favorite fish by far is my Cherub Angel. Spends all day darting through my maze of rock work, and the deep blue with the yellow highlighted face is stunning.

Second place goes to my Blue Star Leopard wrasse. Really cool foraging habits and coloration.

• Like Like x 1
  5. benihana

benihana I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Glodflake angel is my favorite. Rarely seen in the hobby, but the reflections from their scales and bright blue lips are amazing. Plus, they don't do much/anything to LPS...at least mine didn't when I had him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk