Discussion: Feeding

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Sep 2, 2015.

1. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    TCMAS Weekly Discussion

We would like to get more reef related discussions going on the forum. We will post a weekly topic to get the discussion started then let you all take it from there. The rules are simple, keep on topic and keep it positive.

This weeks topic: Feeding:
    What do you feed and why?
    How Much do you feed?
    How frequently do you feed?
    Do you have any animals with specific dietary requirements?

Also, feel free to post an idea for future topics as well.

2. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I feed fish once per day, at best. Otohime TDO mostly. Not really looking to make them huge, but I don't have anything that is really demanding. I like the oto as its pretty fatty stuff, not lots of extra. No animals with specific dietary requirments.

Corals about 1 per week, usually brs reef chilli.

3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I mainly feed my fish and corals with frozen foods every day.
    Since I tried Larry's Reef Service (LRS) Reef Frenzy this earlier spring, it's the brand of frozen food of choice.
    I usually buy 3 flats at a time; a combination of two Reef Frenzy flats and a Herbivore Frenzy/Fish Frenzy. I have tried the Nano Frenzy for my small tank, but there's enough small pieces in the Reef Frenzy to feed my smaller fish.
    I thaw a 1-½" sized chunk of the food in a small cup and add some of the food to the tank periodically through the evening. During the week, I feed my tank between 3PM to 8PM. On my weekends, I feed throughout the whole day.

During the weekend, I will also feed a piece of sheet algae to the 120gal. I switch between nori and TLF Purple Algae sheets. I take square piece of the algae and make cuts along the sides so that when the fish attack the algae, it breaks off into individual strips. The tangs, rabbitfishes, angel, clowns and the goby make short work of the algae.

I also have some of the Reef Nutrition pellets that I sometimes add to the thawed frozen foods; if I think about it.

I only have one fish that does not eat my offered foods; my Ruby Red Dragonet.
    I have had the dragonet for over a year now and I have yet to see it eat any prepared foods. No worries; I have more than enough pods in my tank so he is doing just fine.

4. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Morning: 2x big sheets of nori (one green, one purple).
    Day: 2x feedings of pellets (NLS and Seaweed Extreme) via Ehiem auto feeder
    Evening: 2x feedings ~ 1 hr apart of frozen. Roughly 20-25 cubes or 2+ ounce a feeding. Rotate frozen between roughly 10 different frozen food types along with Mysis. Feed Mysis as a frozen feeding roughly 5x a week, everyone really pounds Mysis.

As needed, when I think of it: I'll soak Mysis in Selcon and dump that in if folks are overly nicked up or if I have any concerns. If they guilt trip me a handful of NLS pellets, I have some 3mm dog food sized pellets only the Emp can eat and he loves them.

I'll do short bursts of blackworms, whole clams, bloodworms or other types of specialty foods as needed for newly acquired species. Generally I get them off the goofy foods in QT, that stuff makes a mess in the DT.

No real fasting days. I actually feed less on the weekends then weekdays oddly enough.

Changes: I'm going to start feeding more nori, the sheets use to last and hour or so but it's getting down to under 10 minutes now I think as they grow. I'd like to get into home made food just haven't yet.

#4 marty9876, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. vandy10

Fishies collected:
    I typically feed 2x a day once in the morning before work, and once when I get home. I feed about 2 pinches of flakes when I do flakes, and then a small scoop of pellets. I use the omega 1 flakes and omega 1 pellets. I feed both because my clowns and coral beauty angel fish seem to like the pellets, but I haven't had much success getting the damsels to eat pellets. I will also feed 1-2 times a week brine shrimp and the fish go crazy for that. I also have a chocolate chip starfish that eats the big chucks of shrimp. I feed him as often as he wants to eat (whenever he is hungry he will go to the top of the front of the tank and lay out until he gets some food).

6. zoolan70

zoolan70 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Once a day, a big squirt from my feeding bottle of home-made mush with mysis added. I'm only feeding a lightly stocked 90 right now with no tangs, so that's about all they need.

7. ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    [COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR]I feed four to six times a day. Pellets, frozen: mysis, brine, squid, cyclops, krill, shrimp(table), fish.

I overfeed. I dump the frozen water/food into the tank(s). The fish go nuts for the mixture. My macro algae (Thanks Jake!) is growing like mad because of the nutrients in the water.

Two to four ounces per tank per day of the mixture above.

See above: Four to six times a day

Small fish with small mouths, and trying to fatten my starfish up.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR]

8. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Once a day. Sometimes 2 but they are within a few hours of each other. Flake a few days a week as every fish eats it like crazy. Frozen on the other days. Pellets once or twice a week. Reef chilli once a week.

I would like to feed in the morning and night but with the lights off and fish sleeping I don't see it as efficient??

9. guy9smiley2

guy9smiley2 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Right now with my current setup I only have 2 fish. a foxface and a clown fish. I had to downsize to remodel and this is all I have left... until I move onto bigger and better tanks! I currently feed once a night just some pellets. I will also do Mysis here and there typically on weekends when I have more time. I had been lacking water changes a little bit and grew a little bit of algae in the tank and the foxface has been taking care of that but its nearly perfectly clean again on the back wall so I will also be giving him some algae sheets here and there to keep him happy. when I had my fully stocked 120 I would feed once at night with Mysis and probably more often than not I would dump a few pellets in the morning for whoever wanted to grab them up.

10. rkolo750

rkolo750 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I try to stick with hardy fish.... so, feeding is easy and not a chore.

I feed a mix of frozen enriched brine shrimp and mysis 3 times a week then once a week I use some marine sinking pellets just to add some nutrients that I sure they don't get from the brine/mysis even though its enriched. Not real picky about brands........

11. rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    What do people feed their corals? (Especially if you feed gorgs)

12. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I feed Reef Chili once or twice a week. And my home made fish food has tiny particles that they catch also.