Discussion: High priced fish and corals verses low priced fish and coral.

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Sep 9, 2015.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Nothing that hasn't been said but my opinions on fish and corals are straight forward.

If I'd cringe at it dying shortly after buying because of the cost and not for the loss in general then I spent too much.

I don't buy anything because it's trending, I buy it because I like it and it's a species I want.

I buy corals I want to see as a colony. It's visually more appealing and even underwhelming cheap frags can look quite spectacular as a colony. My colt is a great example or the +90 ricordia I've got. (Only bought 4!)

Frantically fragging frags of frags was fun for a time but I didn't like the look. (Dropped some f-bombs in that sentence :eek:)

I think it's ok to "repeat" a coral in a few places of a tank if I like it. Saves me money, higher likelihood of survival, and fills out my tank faster.

Species commonly found in the hobby even 5yrs ago (let alone 15 when I started) are almost non existent today. Clearly we don't preserve them as well as we believe. For this reason I always try to buy farm grown/raised frags regardless of cost.

Example: right now a colt coral or yellow Fiji leather is apparently "rare" because it took me forever to find one but 10yrs ago everyone gave them away when I lived in St Louis.

R. Snodgrass

#41 RSnodgrass, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    *edit* I'm always willing to buy anything that has "ultra, rare, limited, premium, tyree, or special" in the name but even better if it says them all! ;o)

R. Snodgrass

#42 RSnodgrass, Feb 13, 2016
  3. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Add yellow porites on that list. I still have one that I got over 10yrs ago, you never see them anymore but were everywhere in 2000. It's still one of my favorites but its dull and boring looking under the heavy blue lights most people run now days but back in the day with 10K MH bright yellow is killer.

Some of it has to be demand and there are so many other corals to choose from compared to years ago.

#43 David Grigor, Feb 13, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have a frag of ultra rare premium orange bam bams for $30 a polyp. lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jstn

Jstn Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I don't mind pricey fish, a lot of deep water fish take days to collect. From what I read they take a few days to bring them up and decompression treat them which makes the price understandable. Examples are flame and rhomboid wrasse.

Now the limited Sps for 400 a half inch are crazy but people spend it, so who am I to judge.