Discussion: Type of Filtration?

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Jul 15, 2015.

1. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    New TCMAS Weekly Discussion

We would like to get more reef related discussions going on the forum. We will post a weekly topic to get the discussion started then let you all take it from there. The rules are simple, keep on topic and keep it positive.

This weeks topic will be: What type of filtration do you use and why? Be as detailed as possible.

Also, feel free to post an idea for future topics as well.

#1 mnmuskyman2011, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BlacknBlue2

BlacknBlue2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I currently run a 180 gallon tank and I have around 140lbs of Live Rock and about 140lbs of Fiji Pink Live Sand. I also run 2 filter socks in my sump as well as Reef Octopus 200SSS. I run my tank with this much filtration just because I am looking to keep my critters happy. I also forgot to mention I have around 200+ crabs, snails and shrimp and 2 starfish to feed and they are also my filtration so to speak. My tank bottom stay very clean.

#2 BlacknBlue2, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Don't forget the why part. lol

4. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Neat idea.

I'm more and more getting to the point of only using filters you can clean (easily). Generally this means the natural methods are out- DSB (Deep sand bed), RSB (Remote Sand bed), macro algae refugiums (or any refugiums for that matter) because cleaning these things is either not easyl or impossible. Part of what forces me away from there I assume is the load on the system (food feed), not saying any of these don't/can't work I just think without frequent maintenance they turn into pools of yuck.

Protein skimmers, one of the very few tools which once it does its job the 'bad' stuff is out of the water. ATS, while natural based, is easy to clean- wipe and load basically. Filter socks, pretty cut and dry there. Carbon, needed for odor and color. Ozone, more of less for water clarity than anything. UV, just cause why not. Carbon dosing remains elusive for me.

#4 marty9876, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My 120gal reef system has a sump with a basic filtration set up; a Reef Octopus Diablo 160XS protein skimmer, carbon and filter floss.
    I've always been a big fan of protein skimming as my collection cup fills up with a nasty, thick green skimmate. Carbon is used passively in a bag that I change out monthly. And since I do not use filter socks, I place filter floss in a media basket just prior to the return pump to help clean the water.

My Fluval nano system is an AIO, so everything is contained in the back flitration chambers. I did modify the baffles for better performance.
    Again, I use filter floss and carbon for filtration. I have yet to set up a skimmer on this tank, and I hope I do not have to.

I have been thinking about trying a ATS system on my 120gal system, but it's not a neccessary option at this time.
    Like I said earlier, I really think protein skimmers are great at pulling the organics out of the water. It's amazing to think that all of that stinky crap is in the tank before the skimmer pulls it out. Yuck!

On both of my systems, water changes are performed regularly; my best practice for quality water parameters.

• Like Like x 1
  6. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My 12 gallon system uses very little filtration just due to the space I have available in my stand and sump.

Due to its small size and short height restriction I don't use a skimmer. For my mechanical filtration my drains go into a filter sock stuffed with filter floss. This floss is changed out every few days. My biological filtration is the usual live rock / sand with biopellets as my main means at lowering nitrate and phosphate. I used to run GFO as well but this was too aggressive. Now its a very small amount of pellets followed by a small amount of ROX carbon. The maintenance is super easy as its a small water change. Replace the floss in the sock, and replace the carbon. Turn the pump back on and everything keeps on going.

I've kind of dialed in the amount and frequency of changing water and media to the point that I don't want to add new fancy things.

Great coral color has been keeping everything fed without over removing beneficial food and nutrients from the system.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Filtration, that's what I forgot to put on my tanks...

My 120 has a skimmer for obvious reasons, I also have a diy ats on it to help keep nutrients low, I just upgraded my lights from cf to par38 leds to hopefully get better results (par increase from roughly 300 up to 1000 per side ). I run a filter sock on this tank mostly because I had them and believe it's easier to contain and remove contaminants than to try to deal with them differently.
    My 45 cube runs a hob skimmer and a diy ac110 refugium as this is a non drilled tank.
    My 75 has just finished cycling as of now it just has a skimmer in the sump, I plan on running this one without a filter sock for a while to determine if it's really beneficial for me or not. I do have plans to add an ats to this tank when I have the time and better plans to make one or $$ to buy one. I really like the looks of the turbo aquatics style but do not have the ability to build one at this time. I keep carbon and a reactor / and bags on hand but only use when I have or think I have a reason.

#7 Nickz, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    57 gallon mixed reef tank with 20 gallon long sump. 50lb live rock and 2" sandbed. Started out with a skimmer to remove protein and a Chaeto Fuge to help reduce nitrate and phosphates. Had to mess around with flow and lighting to really get the Chaeto to take off but now it doubles in size every month or so. I have some minor hair algae issues, so I though I would try an L2 scrubber from turbo aquatics to see if it removed nitrate/phosphates more efficiently. Have had that running for three weeks but it has not fully seeded yet, which is likely because I left my Chaeto Fuge running and the ATS draws its water from a chamber "downstream." I am planning on replumbing the ATS to take water upstream of the Fuge to see if that helps ( I am too nervous to just completely pull the plug on the Chaeto until I have good growth on the ATS). I also run homemade sock filters just to keep the sump from accumulating too much debris as it is a pain in the arse to clean. I keep a bag of carbon hanging in a high flow area of the sump to keep down VOCs. Finally, I won the June TCMAS contest ( thanks everyone), and just received a recirculating biopellet reactor. That one will have to wait until the verdict is in on the ATS.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vandy10

Fishies collected:
    I have a 36 gallon bowfront FOWLR. It is not drilled so I am skating by with 2 HOB filters on either side of the tank to also try to help to get some flow. The tank was set up in college on a college tank budget. I am a year out of school, but a few years out from an upgrade because my girlfriend still has 3 years left in dental school (in Milwaukee) and I am hoping to possibly start working remotely in a year or so and wouldn't want to set up a new tank before that. With that said if anyone has any good HOB type upgrade ideas I would love the input

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Have you thought about an Overflow box hooked up to a small sump below your tank? With a good return pump you could fairly inexpensively increase water volume, DT tank flow, and add some Chaeto for Nitrates/phosphates. From my 40 to 57 gallon upgrade, I have a Fuge light, overflow box, and 15 gallon glass tank that could be used as a sump.

#10 Leicester56, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  11. ddp2099

ddp2099 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    NEW!! TCMAS Weekly Discussion Topic

I have a 40g system, 20g display (drilled) and 20g sump. I also a 60g gallon system, 40g breeder display (drilled) and a 20g sump on this as well. Both systems rely on live rock and protein skimmer ( both are Coralife 65 skimmers with small mods to improve efficiency.)

#11 ddp2099, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ohuno

ohuno Event Committee
    Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    We currently run a 30 gallon sump with 2 filter socks on our 75 display tank for no other reason than ease of maintenance.. We were running Ocean clear canister filters but always had phosphate and nitrate issues. Our old skimmer was an ETSS hob, which size wise should of handled the tank but when we went with the new sump we also put in a new Octopus Elite 200 Internal DC Protein Skimmer. What a difference that skimmer made. I have never seen or smelled such crud before, except when they pump out our home septic system…. Now I can over feed within reason and still have the skimmer dialed down, you know just enough to keep the corals happy. I found out that, well in our tank the corals like a little phosphate and nitrate. When I had everything up and running with 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates the corals started to brown up. Now that the phosphates and nitrates are slightly above zero the corals are starting to bring out their beautiful colors again.

~david

13. briguy350

briguy350 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    90 gallon with 30 gallon sump. running an over sized skimmer SWC250 with Bubble blaster pump, BRS carbon reactor and occasional GFO. i want to start using filter socks because cleaning the detritus out of the bottom of my sump is a PITA. efficient and simple.

14. Jimmy 4.1

Fishies collected:
    Tank: BioCube 29
    Filtration: 30lbs of live sand, about 4 lbs of liverock in the back middle chamber, cheato on top of the liverock in the back middle chamber, and maybe 20 lbs of liverock in the display.
    Why:
    • I only have two fish and plan to add one more in the future so I have a manageable bioload
    • I have had a tank with a sump and skimmer
      • Too much tweaking and cleaning for my liking
      • Noisy
      • Salt creep
      • Too tight of a space to work in sump
      • I got married...
    • Now I just rely on water changes and dosing to keep my tank in order
    • No algae problems thus far and coral growth has been great

#14 Jimmy 4.1, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  15. eyeguy

Fishies collected:
    I've been pleasantly surprised with our RSM 250 that the filtration for an AIO is pretty decent. Most of you know what the back chambers of an RSM 250 do. I run the stock skimmer even though I have a $300 aftermarket skimmer - never could get the skimmate and microbubbles dialed in with the aftermarket. Currently run a GFO/Carbon reactor and that's it. I've seen a huge difference in tank/filtration performance in the past when running a sump vs. not so like I said I'm pleasantly surprised so far with the RSM 250.