Discussion: What does TCMAS mean to you?

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Sep 23, 2015.

1. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    TCMAS Weekly Discussion

We would like to get more reef related discussions going on the forum. We will post a weekly topic to get the discussion started then let you all take it from there. The rules are simple, keep on topic and keep it positive.

This weeks topic: TCMAS.org
    What does TCMAS mean to you?
    What direction would you like to see the club take? More online stuff, more face to face?
    What would you like to see different in our giveaways, raffles? Are you willing to step up and join the event committee?

Also, feel free to post an idea for future topics as well.

2. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Impeach Angie!!!!!one!!!!!yes!!!!!!!!!omg!!!!!!bbq!!!

3. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. OP
    mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    How are we supposed to stay on topic when 2 of the BOD members post have nothing to do with the thread?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  6. acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    Ergh! Apologies, duly chastised and wont try to have fun with the discussion threads again sir!!!!!!!

7. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I wonder if I can give you an infraction for that....:)

For me, the joint is about having fun and helping out people with a challenging hobby. As such there are many highs and lows, complicated with having to deal with people and living unpredictable animals, but as long as the fun out weighs the crap I think it's all good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Eight years ago when I first got into the hobby I read everything I could. Reading only does so much, so I joined TCMAS to get a feel of what people were actually using, what's good, what to stay away from, what works, what doesn't, ect. I learned a lot and it made me much more successful, and saved me a ton of money in mistakes.

I've stayed with TCMAS to get to know people and maybe even make a few like minded friends. Having the support of a local club could really come in handy if I ever had something go way wrong. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen it happen to others and also seen the club really step up to help out.

I think things are good with the club. The only problem I see with the forum is some of the "everything to answer has been answered" syndrome, but the weekly discussions help. With myself, I hope to start making more house meetings as time goes on to get to know people. In addition to the house meetings, I'd like to someday see a few at some sponsored stores. I remember going to one back in the day at Ocean Devotion that was a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rlinusc

rlinusc I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yesterday i stopped by Capman's lab and he proceeded to share with me innumerable frags and information. Just last week i got great advice on two different topics related to my tank. Last night i put in a group order for people on liveaquaria. Leicester offered to help me contemplate a DIY canopy. I have been to several homes of people with tanks, talked tanks with other, attended a St Paul Saints game. TCMAS has made what would have been a hobby devoid of human interaction, into something teeming with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've been trying to come up with an anecdote that tells the story of how TCMAS is actually creating the Matrix.

After reading Linus' post, I think he nailed it pretty well.
    I joined TCMAS on the recommendation from Peggy Nelson at All-Reef. At the time, I was re-entering the hobby after a nine year hiatus and I knew that a lot had changed during that time; lighting, filtration, husbandry and livestock. I joined TCMAS as a way to get myself caught up on the hobby as a whole and to see what was happening locally; not much was going on in western Wisconsin! The forum was where I could take away information and use to for my benefit.
    Fast forward a handful of years, I now have a different view/relationship with the club. I am much more active; online and in person.
    I try to give back to the forum by documenting my experiences with my build threads. I comment on topics that I feel I have some experience worth sharing about. And I offer my help and services to those that are in want of them.
    In addition to the forum, I have met many people that share the same interests that I do. I have made many friends that I would have not normally met in "real life". And having this network of friends has been greatly beneficial. Having friends there to help you out when you've needed them. And sharing your knowledge, experience and even equipment and livestock when you're able to do so.

I would like to see TCMAS take that next step. What that is? I'm not sure.
    I think TCMAS has a strong foundation to become a club that is recognized on a more national level; I do.
    This club has a wide array of resources that could do some special things within the hobby. We have breeders, we have coral farmers, we have teachers, we have builders, we have artists and we have high quality vendors and sponsors. I think there's enough people in this club that no matter the challenge, it could be successfully accomplished within this group of people.
    Whether there are more face-to-face events (i.e. workshops or special events) or online discussions (like these), I think it only strengthens the health of the club. In this age of faceless human interaction of quick texts and "likes", I support any activity that stimulates personal interaction and discussion.

I think the giveaways that TCMAS does monthly is outstanding! ["Of course, you do!" I can hear you, Marty and Angie!]
    I do prefer the more involved entries into the giveaways. They don't all have to be "tricky" math problems, but they should involve some effort on the entrants behalf. Come on, you can win something for free! Just make it so people have to put a little bit of effort into it; not just a simple "I'm in!" (That's too lazy for my liking.)

I have considered in the past stepping up and doing more within the club. Whether it be on the Event Committee or something else (not the BOD; at least for now), I am willing to be asked to be involved.
    I have spent years on a youth hockey BOD that has somewhat made me wary of ever volunteering my time and effort again, but I know that I do have the desire (somewhere) to contribute to an organization that I benefit from being a member.
    I know that I say that being in Wisconsin isn't that far away, but it does come into play sometimes. But most of the time, it's the hectic schedule of having multiple teenagers and a family life that "interfere" with doing more at this time.

Chad summed it up well also...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thle009

Thle009 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    My AA club. Used to be able to attend meetings but now I can only make the frag swap event every now and then since we have a little one at home and my work schedule changed. Monthly raffles are great and so are the monthly contest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. acharpenter

Fishies collected:
    For me - TCMAS means friends, fun, support, knowledge, help and work. Of course not necessarily in that order.

From day one I became heavily involved with the club on all levels (some of you were around for my early days).

Jason put it well when he said he has met many friends here he wouldn't have made in "real life" - that couldn't be truer from my end as well.

My favorite part is meeting new members. I find most are never sure what to expect and it can be really intimidating attending your 1st meeting - so I love doing what I can to make them feel comfortable and introducing them around when I can. It only takes a couple intro's and the next thing you know - they are an hour or 2 into conversations with other members and boom - just like that - they get why our members are great and why TCMAS is one of the bigger and more successful clubs in the USA.

That's what TCMAS means to me - the people, the friendships, the day to day help with issues and the willingness to drop everything at 2:00 am and drive to your house in a tank emergency.

I love you guys man!!! : )

• Like Like x 1