Discussion: What is your weak point in the hobby

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Aug 26, 2015.

1. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    TCMAS Weekly Discussion

We would like to get more reef related discussions going on the forum. We will post a weekly topic to get the discussion started then let you all take it from there. The rules are simple, keep on topic and keep it positive.

This weeks topic: What do you think is your weak point in this hobby? What could you use help with? If you can, please help others out on what they post.

Also, feel free to post an idea for future topics as well.

2. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My weak point has always been health. I feel confident on every part of the hobby except this really important aspect. I can usually tell if somethings off or wrong, but what exactly is going on with the fish? Does it have this or that -- they look the same? Am I doing the right treatment? What should I be doing? etc....

I even bought Mr Salwatertank's book on health. I was dissapointed with it -- it seemed like every subject was eight pages of circular rambling, followed by a small paragraph of relevant info that didn't tell me all that much.

I've only had sharks the last five years, but now I'm just starting to get regular fish for a regular tank in our family room. Right now I'm quarantining and treating proactively. I figure making sure the fish is healthy first, treating, and continue to always use a quality food I can set myself up to be problem free later on. I know stuff will come up, but hopefully it will be minimized -- or at least reduced as I try to get better with the health part.

This will go to his head I know, but I my goal is to be a Marty with this. I really like his fish and he does quite well with what he keeps.

3. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Corals. I pretty much suck totally at corals. Part of my my problem is I always try and do the most difficult scenarios with corals (high fish loads with fish they eat corals), the other part is I don't really care about corals. Individually meh, collectively they are cool (net effect of a loaded reef tank is great) but one by one corals bore me to death.

I think I get the technical aspects, perhaps it's just always stacking the deck against me and loosing interest but I've got a crappy track record with corals. My first tank in 1999 I had the best success with, down hill since then. Really odd considering literally everyone/entire industry else is the exact opposite.

4. General0

Fishies collected:
    My weak point has always been using calcium reactors!!! Specifically keeping everything within acceptable/required levels. I have read multiple articles and have tried dialing it in on multiple occasions to get my parameters just right and they will hold for a good while and then bam.... something goes out of wack. I have used all the recommended equipment and still can't get it to hold stable.....My most successful/stable time was when I've run refugiums and dosed two part so I'm going to go that route for a while but I Reaaaallly want to use my calcium reactor,lol!

5. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Affording the fish I want... Peppermint angelfish... Ugh

6. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
  7. tthorn125

tthorn125 Keeper Of The Peace
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:

I think the rest of your post got truncated when you posted your response.

8. Gary

Gary Started in '96
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I am having success with corals like never before. Feeding them seems to help a lot with growth. (we never fed corals 20 years ago). Fish on the other hand have lately been troubles for me. I never had trouble keeping fish healthy but the last few months have been challenging. Even in my quaranteen tank with Cuprimine we have had deaths. (Watch my videos on this for more if you interested). Marty, yer da man with fish husbandry! Want to volunteer to do a workshop?

9. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I thought I'd weigh in on some of these responses before I divulge my kryptonite.

Riley... Have you picked up the book, "The Marine Fish Health and Feeding Handbook" by Goemans and Ichinotsubo?
    It's a really good resource for basic information on keeping healthy marine fish. It starts off with a well written introduction by Martin Moe, Jr. about the value of keeping/caring for marine fish in an aquarium environment. The topics include what it takes to make a suitable aquarium (I think you've passed this section with flying colors.), foods, supplements, feedings, diseases, parasites and treatments.
    I think it's a book that every aquarists should read; if not own. The section discussing the various parasites and treatments is definitely worth having at your disposal.

I'm with you on this topic, Cliff.
    I haven't taken the plunge into utilizing a calcium reactor, but I keep thinking that it may be a solution to some issues that I have been struggling with.

I hear ya!
    I've got Peppermint Angelfish cookies that are less costly.

Humble brag?!

Gary... Same recommendation I gave Riley above.
    Marty has great success with fish, just check out his Mimic Tang; GORGEOUS!
    But I'd watch out if Marty hosts a workshop. Did you see his suggestion?

10. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I would have to admit that my weakness is number chasing; especially with water chemistry.
    I suffer, self-admitted and peer diagnosed, with OCD.
    I have always been fascinated with numbers. If I didn't go to school for animation, it would've been statistics.

So when it comes to keeping my saltwater parameters within a certain number range, I obsess with the numbers and get stressed out. When the numbers don't fall where I would like them to be, I try to find out why and what I need to do to fix them.
    I have always had an issue with maintaining the alkalinity at a stable level. I will do daily alkalinity testing for a couple of weeks to find out just how much is being used by my corals. I have ventured through manual dosing, kalkwasser top off and programmed dosing pumps to keep my alkalinity levels stable, but I still haven't found the "magic" number.
    Another problem with chasing numbers is that when I cannot maintain a stable alkalinity level, I get frustrated and basically say "F' it!" I stop testing so I don't see the numbers anymore. I get the "I don't care anymore" feeling. I stop testing and just let the tank drift on its own. I still do my water changes and monitor the fish's' health, but I ignore the corals for the most part. This is when I start to see a decline in growth or even STN/RTN. So when I start losing corals, the cycle starts over. Testing, tweaking, monitoring, testing... frustrating, ignoring, declining...

I know. I know!
    It's not supposed to be all about the numbers, just keeping the levels stable.
    I have read so many articles, books and discussions concerning the processes involved with water chemistry and why each one is important to the whole environment. I get it. But I cannot "get IT"; that magic number.
    And that's the weakness of being obsessed with numbers and being in control of an environment.

Hi. My name is JASON. I have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Acros. I know they are generally the most sensitive corals to changes in parameters. And while my tank has become much more stable and refined over the last few months, and everything else is happy. Still have issues keeping acro happy and healthy.

I suppose frequent testing would also be on my list. It is just tedious, and I have always hated tedium. So I'll admit I don't test as often as I should.

12. CoralKings

CoralKings Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  13. LowersMyBP

LowersMyBP I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Mushrooms. Weird, I know. Wife's favorite, I can't keep them around. Acros etc are fine, mushrooms let go and poof.

Also, maxima clams. I have tried a few times. I have given up. Had a deresa for a few years before I sent it back to its original owner. Haven't tried crocea or squamosa yet.

14. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Surprisingly, that's one marine aquarium book I don't have. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have the book in two days.

Good luck the ocd number chasing.

15. gasman

gasman TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    RO/DI challenged! Nothing a few beers won't fix. :beerchug:

16. jlanger

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    [​IMG]

There... that's a better reply.

17. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Clams! I love their vibrant blue color and I can't keep a single one alive more than a few weeks to a month. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I just can't have one in the tank.

18. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Mushrooms for me too. If I dared to count it up over the last 3 years, I bet I've spent more on mushrooms than any other type, I want them so bad in the soft only tank so I keep trying.

Typical Actinodiscidae/Discosomatidae can't for the life of me keep. Out of hundreds I have like 3 of them and don't grow or split. Been over a year and still just 1 polyp. Most just wither away to nothing in just few weeks even nice big already attached colonies.

Ricordia okay at least I don't kill them but they never grow or split. Best case just stay the same.

Rhodactis are the only ones grow and multiply.

Same results in two seperate different systems.

#18 David Grigor, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  19. tthorn125

tthorn125 Keeper Of The Peace
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Clams. 2 for 2 on Maxima's. I give up.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

20. deneed4spd

deneed4spd Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Going slow. Always want all the fish and corals setup but now with two kids its forcing me to slow down which has been good.

Chad just breed the peppermints! :)