Discussion: What is your weak point in the hobby

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by mnmuskyman2011, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ohuno

ohuno Event Committee
    Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Clams for me too. 2 for 2 like tthorn125, I've given up.

~david

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    patience... i have none.

3. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    "Nothing good happens fast in this hobby"

4. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I know that, doesn't change the fact that I have no patience... Fortunately a person is not limited to a single tank in this hobby. Much easier to be patient when you stay scattered across multiple things so you don't fixate on the waiting.

5. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Crap - I need more tanks

6. eyeguy

Fishies collected:
    Regular water changes. I'm so-so on water changes but worse on doing them in a consistent manner. I might change 20% every other week for 6-8 weeks, then life happens and it lapses to 4-8 weeks. And inevitably my tank suffers every time...

7. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Few thoughts on fish:

Behavior - Biggest piece of advice I could possibly give is to learn healthy behavior of the fish you intent to keep. Behavior and being able to spot what is healthy and normal versus abnormal behavior is huge. What this does is let you get in front of issues and know when things are just not right before you can 'see' an issue. So often visual indicators really mean the issue is already very severe and the odds are way against you.

That Flame angel in the store who is supper active always out circling the tank, that's bad. Dwarf angels play the hide-e-hole game and dart in and out of the rocks all day long nibbling away. That large Angel who is not engaged and aware of its surroundings, bad. Tangs who are 'resting' in the corner of the tank, yea not so good.

It can be hard to know what is normal and healthy since so often most of our exposure to a wide variety of fish are in LFS who often are the worse fish keepers of them all. Make an effort to seek out and understand the behavior of the fish you aim to keep, it will pay huge dividends. In seconds you can tell a problem or if something is off.

Diet - I know I get a lot of flack for my feeding habits but I do thinking quality foods in a good quanitity is very important. All tangs, Angels and butterflies need nori daily. For me, having a lot of frozen in the mix is required and it's a common thread among most serious fish keepers I've read about. Wide variety of quality foods, I feed 10+ different types of foods on a frequent basis. It's so vital for their health and a healthy fish can go through so much more than a marginal one.