Divide Or sell large finger leather

Discussion in 'Softy Corals' started by Yellowfarm, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Yellowfarm

I have a large finger leather coral that is 12x 15" attached to multiple rocks in my 90 gallon tank.
    What ways can I reduce its size without removing it? Will new fingers grow from there? Will it permanently scar? I am seeing 3 small round holes inside the deep center.

2. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Just start cutting. Any tissue removed will grow into a new colony if you tie it to a rock, and any tissue left will heal and keep on growing. After a few weeks/months other than being smaller there will be no evidence you cut.

You can chop the whole thing into a hundred 1"x1"x1" cubes and after a few months you will have 100 small colonies.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    Yellowfarm

Fragging a finger coral

The fingers are at the top so if I remove them I'm left with a large 10 c 10
    base. What happens then? How much can I cut without removing and hurting my fish and other corals? I'm new at this as you can [​IMG]

4. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I can't see the picture. But you can cut out as much as you want. There is no risk to your fish or other corals. (provided they stay away from the sharp end of the knife). You can chop the whole head off, and the head will grow a new base and the base will grow a new head. Or you can literally dice the whole thing up into a hundred small pieces - each piece will grow into a new colony. I would not expect significant fouling of the water even if you dice it into a hundred pieces, but I would be prepared to do a water change the next day just in case.

Personally, I would chop a nice big chunk off the top that is the size of what you want to keep. Tie it to a rock and wait a week or two.

Once you know that your new colony is going to make it, you can remove the rest of the original colony and go to town on it. Dice it up into a bunch small pieces and tie each piece to frag plug or small bit of rock. Most of the frags will recover and you can trade them at the next frag swap.

5. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Pic would be helpful but as cypho mentions cut it however you want yet still aethetically acceptable to you. It will regrow fingers. Some faster than others. It's all up to you, You can cut the whole crown off if you want and the base will regrow fingers but this could take a good 6months or more. There are no right or wrong really. Scissors, single blade razorblade, whatever you wish really.

6. LowersMyBP

LowersMyBP I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Feel free to run carbon for peace of mind if you have any concerns about the leather sliming and making the water toxic at all.

7. OP
    Yellowfarm

8. OP
    Yellowfarm

Not sure how to
    post a pic

9. OP
    Yellowfarm