DIY - 40 Gallon Breeder Refugium Sump Build - Fiji Cube

Discussion in 'DIY Forums' started by Fiji Cube, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Fiji Cube

Fiji Cube www.fijicube.com
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hello everyone,

I want to share the quick and easy installation of our 40 Gallon Breeder Refugium Sump Baffle Kit. This kit will work for both Marineland or Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder as their dimensions are the same except for the color of the silicone seal.

I picked up a Marineland 40 gallon breeder from Forest Lake Pet for this installation.

You are going to need these tools to achieve a smooth finish for doing it on your own, simple and easy to find tools: scissors, masking tape, 100% silicone (highly recommend the GE silicone), kitchen towel (to press the silicone into the gap between the glass and the acrylic, and to wipe off excessive silicone), and razor blade.

I performed a quick fit check before I started. They should fit perfectly. :)

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

Before I started applying silicone to permanently secure the baffle kit, I used masking tape to prevent the silicone mess in order to provide a cleaner look.

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

After the masking job is done, I started applying the silicone onto the edges of the acrylic. After the silicone is applied, I used the paper towel to press the silicone into the gap between the glass and acrylic baffles. Allow the silicone to sit for 12 hours for it to dry completely. Then, I used the razor blade to clean the excessive silicone before I removed the masking tape. It is optional to clean the silicone on the edges of the pieces, I chose to do that because I prefer a clean looking sump.

Finally, I removed the masking tape and the job is done!
    Here I present you the 40 Gallon Breeder Sump with Fiji Cube Refugium Sump Baffle Kit.
    IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

The steps are the same for the Fiji Cube 10 gallon and 20 Gallon Long Sump Baffle Kit too. Please check out the kits on this link: Sump and Filtration.

Hope you liked our post. Thank you for reading. Follow us for more updates on the sump. To be continued... ;)

Fiji Cube is committed to delivering high quality and innovative aquarium products. Please don't hesitate to contact us at info@fijicube.com for any questions you have.

2. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Have you guys thought about making a Triton sump kit for a 40Breeder?

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Fiji Cube

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hi Jonty,

Thanks for checking this out! Yeah, absolutely. There are many vendors out there doing Triton so we thought that we wanted to make the baffle kit closer to our own sump kit design which allow customers to have choices to re-layout their sump if needed. Currently, there are not many vendors who are making the sock holders like we do, and there are few that provide adjustable water level adjustment and the bio-foam features.

4. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Holy clean result - how much does the kit for the 40 breeder you demo'd cost?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    Fiji Cube

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hi Angie!

The 40 gallon breeder baffle kit is $95 (local pick up) for TCMAS members ONLY! Online MSRP $139.99. Grab a 40 gallon breeder from Forest Lake Pet for $40. You can make a 40 gallon breeder sump just under $150 easily ;)

Thanks,
    Will
    www.fijicube.com

6. Guido5526

Guido5526 Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Not a bad deal at all. Checked out the website and was intrigued by the Fiji 20. Since we are now in the market for a sump for our new acrylic tank we got last weekend. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    Fiji Cube

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Hi Guido,

Thanks for your interest in our sump! We are running special rate for TCMAS members as a sponsor.

Fiji - 20: $200 (Local pick up ONLY)
    Sump Baffle Kit - 20 Gallon Long: $80

Thanks for your interest again!

Will (PM Me for Questions)
    Fiji Cube Aquatic
    www.fijicube.com

8. Guido5526

Guido5526 Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    You have our attention. Lol. We looked at the eshopps but this is twice the sump for not much more. Plus get the fuge. I like.

• Like Like x 1
  9. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Just got the two gallon reservoir from Will last night. Great quality and very nice craftsmanship with the acrylic. Will is extremely nice and wants feedback on their products.

Give Fiji Cube a try!

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    Fiji Cube

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thank you! We are glad that you like the design and quality. Please keep us posted how your reef build go!