Dumpy Tree Frog Help

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by deneed4spd, Jun 19, 2015.

1. deneed4spd

deneed4spd Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Looking to get my 4 yr old son a white tree frog. Dont know where to start. Read some articles online but thought it would be good to have opinions of herps on tcmas.

Quantity of Frogs: Son said he wants a momma and daddy frog with potentially a kid frog.
    Size of Tank: I heard tall is good with these frogs. Should get a 20H from dollar sale? Dont want to drop $$$ since I am already poor buying salt stuff.
    Habitat: Not sure what to setup. Heard to setup sometype of live plant enclosure with ceramic filter balls with screen and then dirt, etc. Where do plants go? What type of wood in the tank?
    Lights, heater, etc?

Any help is much appreciated

2. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I've never had dumpys but always thought they were pretty cool. Care seems to be pretty standard to other tree frogs. Taller aquarium the better. These guys get bigger then most tree frogs but are well dumpy so they move around slower. Habitat is up to you on live vs fake. Just do research on the plants to make sure they are animal safe. Live definitely looks more natural but you will have to prune eventually. For the bottom yes the ceramic balls work well. Some people even drill the bottom to drain water out. Probably not necessarily unless you are hooking up an automatic mister. Food will be a base of crickets that should be dusted with vitamins. Can feed earthworms as well. Then wax or meal worms as a "treat".

One of my favorite things was having a fog effect. Buying a cheap small humidifier and routing it into the tank will allow a very cool effect for you and the kids. I set mine on a timer so every few hours it would run to keep humidity up.

Shoot me a pm I have some stuff you can have for free to help get you started. Along with a possible habitat.

If you end up wanting to spend money look for a exoterra tank. They are the best.

3. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Couple things to note from my experiences.

- Don't use substrate like gravel, they will eat it on accident.

- feed only enough crickets for it to eat, never allow crickets to roam around the tank. They will bite your frog.

- Keep the frogs like sized. No babies, as they may become food.

- They love soaking in a water dish, but will soil the water quickly. This must be kept clean to avoid bacterial infections.

- When you pick them up, they will likely squirt you with pee. Once you get that over with, they are pretty easy going once out of the cage.

-Zoomed makes an inexpensive fogger, about $40 on amazon.

4. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I had a lot of herps over the ears ncluding a variety of tree frogs. A lot of people like the clay balls for the bottom layer of substrate for a vivarium set up. Those are used commonly with dart frogs.

5. Mandarin_Jake

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
  6. Mandarin_Jake

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Some ideas. One is live plants the test is fake.

7. Mandarin_Jake

TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
  8. OP
    deneed4spd

deneed4spd Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    What size tanks are those? What temp and humidity do you keep your fake plant tanks?

9. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
  10. Dalailammy

Dalailammy Amphipod First Class
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I've had Whites tree frogs, great pets. They can take a big crap and I found it easier to have a tank that you can easily remove decor and clean entire tank.

11. OP
    deneed4spd

deneed4spd Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    If u put tank on sides, what do you use for a side lid?

12. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Have glass cut to size then silicone in. Can use a piano hinge like used for normal aquarium tops to create access. Search for 10 gallon vertical conversions and should get some good info.

13. OP
    deneed4spd

deneed4spd Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Angie has a exo terrarium for sale. a 36x18x18 and a 12x12x18. Do you think those would be good for a dumpy tree frog or a yellow spotted toad? I dont know if 18 inches is high enough for these frogs.

lastly, since my son is 4 yrs old, I want to teach him to take care of a pet but like all pets, the parents probably will take care of it. He wanted a toad/frog but is that easier to take care of and handle then a bearded dragon?

14. pigskin018

Fishies collected:
    I had 2 dumpys for life 5 years. Then they escaped somehow during a move. .. I was very sad I loved those things.

But my cage was simple. I had a few fake plants with that marine carpet on the floor. went from have a moss bottom cage to just putting that in cause the moss stuff sucked to clean. The marine carpet just take out and rinse off done. Just added some hiding spots, rocks, plants ect. oh and I would by a fogger or something cause I had misted them like every day with a spray bottle which was annoying so if I did it again I'd buy that first thing.

I loved feeding time and before storms. (They would both croak like crazy every time before a storm. Sounded like they were challenging each other lol)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk