Dwarf seahorse giving birth! (Pics and vids!)

Discussion in 'Aquatics Breeding (Fish, coral, inverts)' started by WadePW, Jan 11, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

1. WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    You know its bad that you can notice just the littlest spec floating around your tank that shouldn't be when you're walking by it. But in this case it was pretty cool, Upon closer look it was a baby seahorse... Managed to get a video of my male popping out the last couple.... Figured i'd share it here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice video. Hope they live a long time.

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Map
    Wow those are bigger (relative to the male) then I would have expected.

Is there a hope of raising them now or in the future?

4. Fiver

Fishies collected:
    Very cool! Takes some dedication to keep dwarves.

5. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Dwarf seahorses may have been the catalyst of my interest in keeping saltwater aquariums.

Growing up my parents had freshwater aquariums. Sometime in the early 80's, my mom ordered dwarf seahorses from an ad in a magazine or TV Guide. We had a small ten gallon tank for the dwarf seahorses. I can remember placing the order as they also offered other small inverts; hermits, snails and even horseshoe crabs. I remember one of the males giving birth shortly after arriving, but we had no experience keeping them alive. I recall placing a "collection cup" in the tank for the babies and we hatched brine shrimp in soda bottles for feeding the seahorses.

Very cool, Wade.

6. ZachsZoo

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    That's awesome! I'll be upgrading to a 180 in a few months and I'm thinking about turning my current 10 gallon into a dwarf seahorse/macro algae tank

7. OP
    WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    They babies can live in the same tank and will eat the same food (artemia nauplii) as the adults, So they will stay in the tank and *should* survive, I'm attempting to transit them over to frozen brine just for convenience of feeding, so it's a mixture of the baby brine and frozen brine along with various other types of pods.

8. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Map
    Well that's convenient, more photos or videos please (o:

9. OP
    WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Will do! There is another male in the tank that appears to be pregnant as well, so more baby pics/videos coming soon :)

10. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    So cool. How often do you feed the parents live food?

11. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    How long have you had these seahorses?

And how many feedings a day?

Are you enriching the baby brine shrimp in some way?

I had pretty much the same experience with dwarf seahorses (and my first experience with saltwater) that Jason described when I was a kid. It would be cool to actually do it correctly now!

12. OP
    WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I am feeding daily currently, When I wake up in the morning I add live food, later in the afternoon I am attempting to entice with a little bit of frozen.

There's a couple in the tank that i've had for some time, from previous tank before I moved, But majority are fairly new, early this month.

Right now doing 1 live food feeding, and attempting to give them a little frozen later in the afternoon... Got some nibbles on it so i'm positive about the idea as of now.

The brine is not being enriched at this time, Not sure if I posted much about the last run of dwarfs I had a bit over a year ago but I was enriching the brine that I personally hatched for a while, then didn't enrich and I couldn't see a difference in activity, breeding, eating, or color (which i've found to be the first sign in a sick sea horse... could be wrong but just my experience). I am getting weekly shipment of brine from Algae barn, so I get a pouch of brine and add some daily, It's for sure a little more expensive in the long run than hatching my own brine, but a hell of a lot easier.

13. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Is decapsulating the eggs important with these seahorses, or are they smart and selective enough to not be trying to eat brine shrimp egg shells?

14. OP
    WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I've always decapsulated the eggs, The brine i'm feeding them coming from Algae Barn is with decapsulated eggs aswell.

This is what i'm feeding for live food currently
    https://www.algaebarn.com/product/nano-brine-live-baby-artemia/

15. OP
    WadePW

WadePW Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    So now I have a question for everyone... Maybe @Chad Vossen Could have a good opinion here based on his work of raising fish and various creatures :p

I came home from work and noticed a worm like thing wiggling on the sand, Looking at it closer... It's a baby sea horse, still attached to a sack.. Now my first guess is a pregnant male must have died in the tank or something causing these babies to pop out to early, But there is no causalities. Of course I took pictures for everyone, Along with a shot of the entire tank... Story behind the Sponge Bob theme is a good friend of mine got me the sponge bob pineapple as a birthday gift Christmas 2016, and then another sponge bob tank ornament for my birthday a few months later, and then again for Christmas 2017... So it's become a running joke.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]