dying t5 setup fix or replace question

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by cheppi, Nov 19, 2017.

1. cheppi

Fishies collected:
    I have a 8 bulb T5 DIY setup in a hood over my 90 mixed reef. ONe ballast died 4 yrs ago and was never replaced. A second died this week. would anyone recommend just replacing the two ballasts or O was considering adding led. The front 4 T5 still work and I could add leds to the back half of the hood but I have absolutely no idea what I am looking . Can I even add it to my current hood or do I need a new setup with different ventilation and height requirements. currently the lights sit about 3 inches above the water. Any thoughts or directions I can look into is greatly appreciated.
    thanks scott

PS somebody has these on craiglist and they look too wide to add to my T5 but could I replace all the T5s with them? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/for/d/2-led-aquarium-lights/6364837971.html

2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    With LEDs for the most part you do get what you pay for. There is a BRS video regarding the chineese no-name fixtures as you linked. Usually have the absolute lowest quality components to meet the price point and not UL listed powersupplies. For me, one of the best features of Leds is the programability to true dawn/sunset. Something that sets Leds apart from your T5s. That one you listed only has manual dials so really aren't going to get any better features that just replacing your T5 ballasts.

If the choice was between that particular model Led or replace the ballasts, I'd likely just replace the ballast.

3. DarkSky

DarkSky TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Ballasts are cheap, replacing them both would probably be the easiest option.

Snap a picture of your ballasts and someone might be able to help you out.

4. OP
    cheppi

Fishies collected:
    Is there a certain type of LED that one would recommend adding to my now 4 bulb T5 hood. am I better off just going all T5 again VS all led, and not a mix?
    again thanks

5. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Me personally I would stick with one of the more popular brands. Good support, lots of people to share experiences with. Really there is not much if any cost savings and even taking bulb replacement into account your looking at 5 years to break even. I'd just ride the T5 out a bit longer.

I just hit the 6 year mark on my Gen1 Radions that had a price tag of around $6K and I still have 2 more years to go just to break even.

6. OP
    cheppi

Fishies collected:
    sounds like a plan, thanks david