FALL EXPO/SWAP IS BACK ON!!

Discussion in 'TCMAS Meetings & Events' started by acharpenter, Aug 19, 2017.

1. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    CHANGE OF PLANS: Swap is back on - http://events.tcmas.org

Hello all -

I am sorry to announce that TCMAS will not have a Fall Expo.

Something that a lot of us in the club forget about is that in order to have these awesome expo's twice a year - someone is working thier butts off to make it happen.

Some of you are aware that Jager and his wife BlueGrassBert did all the organizing of the expo's for the last 6 years. They have done it every year to the point that Jager slept on the concrete floor at every expo - just to make sure he was there for the vendors to get in at all hours of the night - or that he would be there in case the air conditioner failed or the heater failed.

Erik and Britt need to move on. 6 years of 2 Expos per year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have been in the works of selling thier home and buying a new home and had to concentrate thier efforts outside of TCMAS.

In the meantime - they and those of us on the BOD have reached out to those on the event committee to see if anyone was willing to take over organizing the Expo - sadly - no one was able to.|

So here it is - there will be no Fall Expo unless we get a superman willing to step up and take it over.

At this point - I am going to say - sorry all - NO FALL EXPO

#1 acharpenter, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
  2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    That's a reality check for how much they do if I've ever seen one...

3. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thank you Erik and Britt for the last 6 years of awesomeness!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thank You !! Erik and Britt. You have always done a great job, you deserve some time off.

5. Gouldy22

Gouldy22 Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I unfortunately have only made it to one swap, fairly new on here, and I work weekends. But the one I did go to was great, truly an awesome time, and a great event. I can't imagine the behind the scenes work it takes to pull it off. Thank you for your time, effort, and energy.

6. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I just wanted to add a post and maybe as a forum we can think of something creative.

First, thanks to all those who volunteer their time in a multitude of ways on this forum and in our local and extended community. I know I get more out than I put in. I will be the first to say that.

For me and some of my friends, the Fall Expo seems to be the Super Bowl of this hobby around here. But we get this years facts and circumstances.

Just starting some brainstorming:
    1) Could we use some of the funds of the forum to pay someone, or at least contribute to someone on the forum, for taking this on? Could cut back on other door prizes, cut back on other giveaways during the year such as computers, gear, etc... Maybe there is someone who has these skills, has some time, and could use some extra money.

2) Similar to #1, raise funds to pay someone to help
    A. Small entry fee
    B. Donation box
    C. Any other creative ideas

Before someone goes meidival on this, this is intended to be a positive post. No, I don't have interest or time, but somebody might. Just throwing it out there; and thanks to all of those who have helped in the past.

7. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If there was a 5$ entrance fee do we attendance would be negatively impacted, if so how much? and if we did charge a fee what would be the revenue? I have no idea what the attendance #'s are normally?

8. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I do worry with Angie, Patent and Jager leaving as officers of the Club if TCMAS will survive going forward. what they have given to the club has been amazing and finding others with the kind of drive and dedication will be difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BlacknBlue2

BlacknBlue2 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I agree with Jonty, finding capable peole with the time and energy that is needed to coordinate tcmas is going to be tough.

10. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I worry that there is only one person that knows what's involved with the organization of the expos. With a list of what needs to be done im willing to bet one or two people might step up and make it happen instead of everyone being afraid that it is just to much to do without knowing anything about it. I myself can't/won't sign up to do something that I know nothing about.
    I do not mean this in any bad way, but that is the sad truth to it. This is a saltwater hobby club, not the BOD has to think of and do everything for everyone.

Sadly this may be a good time to Think about having a description of what it takes to organize an expo written up for the future. If we miss one, so be it, but I'd personally hate to think we'll not have any anymore because nobody knows what it takes.

#10 Nickz, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. coldwaterreefer

coldwaterreefer I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    Im willing to help but will not do it alone

12. BlacknBlue2

Fishies collected:
    I can help out as well, but like coldwaterreefer, I can't do it alone nor will I

13. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Where there is adversity there is opportunity. Having something written up like a play book would be great and I'd bet that as great as the expos have been someone will find a way to streamline or improve it.

The second part to the play book could be general FYI's of 'don't do this it was a terrible idea and it was terrible, just terrible... we thought it would be great but it was terrible' (o:

14. DarkSky

DarkSky TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Nox and I reached out to Angie and sent a message to Jager about organizing. Haven't heard back from him yet, but we basically asked the same things - what is needed to set it up and run one? I'm sure a lot is needed that isn't written down, and the act of writing it down probably will take some time.

15. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Perhaps a temporary fix could be a grill out for forum sales/garage sale.

Local vendors & members could still sell on the forums but would allow for an much easier event with far less overhead.

Space could be smaller as a result.

Negative is it's less exciting but it could still be a fun get together.
    Probably fewer to no minimal give aways.

Someone could probably chime in as this having been tried in the past.

16. BlacknBlue2

Fishies collected:
    The other part is all of the flyers that Jaeger and Brittany have and the multitude of other stuff we use on an event by event basis. Cheezybuda has a list of our usual vendors we go to for donations so that part is covered. And food always works its way out as we get closer to the event. If were gonna do this as a team, we need to get together on a saturday or sunday to hammer out what we need to do. Doing a garage sale in November won't work, its too cold, and spring is a crap shoot as well since we can't control the weather then either. We need a building and we need to get moving, its nearly September and we have no set date nor location. And with our usual spring location so close to my place I can stay at Hooley Hall and sleep on an air matress to get all the vendors in and keep an eye on the tanks. Angie, if we can get help from you and Jaeger and Brittany we can get a plan in place very soon. Newz, and Zoolan have done a great job with food, if we can get Cheezybuda and another person to hit the donations for raffle prizes going we have that covered. That leaves getting the vendors in line, getting the gear from Jaeger and whatever else I am forgetting.

#16 BlacknBlue2, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    I stand corrected, sounds like someone else has a good idea of what is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I'm not much help on this the majority of information needed has to come from Jager. If someone wants to step up and take the lead, it appears there is plenty of help offered.

19. BlacknBlue2

Fishies collected:
    Guess I need to make an appointment with Jaeger and get a few others involved as well.

20. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected: