Fishfoo's 40g Rimless

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Fishfoo, Dec 12, 2016.

1. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Love the new aquascape! The 30D was my first DSLR (old version of the 70D), it's a great choice,

I recently have had orders from both AquaSD and ZoaCollector; maybe we should be grouping our orders together. :laugh:

2. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! And yeah I'm really liking the 70D. Was interested in grabbing your old one but saw the post a little to late. I picked up the ef-s 60mm macro for a good price and so that's what I've been using for the tank shots.

Was the P. evansi you picked up from him? And I'll have to let you know the next time I order :gay1:

3. Greentree

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Any updates? Tank looks great!

4. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Appreciate the compliment. It's a work in progress, but overall I'm happy with how the tanks been as of late.

Now for the update:

Not a ton has changed, really. I added yet another torch last week after about a three month break to give it one last shot. So far so good. No recession present. Still have no idea what killed the others, or why every species of coral in my tank, including other euphyllia, do fairly well besides torches. Bdubz may be correct in that most of the torches I tried were from Australia, which are known to be a bit more fragile. Can't say for certain, however.

I also added a female Rhomboid to the mix a little over a month ago. This fish will be the last addition, livestock wise. To be honest I think even this may be a bit too much, but so far both temperaments and nutrients are in check, so I'm letting it play out. I couldn't get a great picture of her, or of the male and female together, but I did get a pretty cool shot of the red lined and rhomboid male swimming together.

[​IMG]

The males color has definitely improved since adding the female, which was the main reason for adding her. He's also put on a bit more size and seems very healthy. The RL wrasse, being the king of the tank, is doing very well. I do however fear he may be getting a bit too big for the tank, especially with how many other inhabitants I have in there. With plans of a potential upgrade pushed back, I may have to make some tough decisions. But if he keeps spitting sand all over the rocks and corals, that decision will get easier quickly :angryfire: lol

The acros I added in January have lost some polyp extension, but are still doing fairly well. The PC rainbow has encrusted quite a bit, but so far no new branches for any of them. Speaking of SPS, my monti's have decided to start hating my tank. I'm going to test my water later tonight and figure out what could be the deal. My thought for them at the moment is that it's probably too much light, since my acclimation period recently ended on my light. Besides the montiporas, things are looking good on the coral end of things. I just purchased a couple more acro's from the POTO live sale that should arrive Thursday.

Tested out the porthole viewer Jason made for me. Thanks again, Jason! Still getting used to it but loving the various angles/views it makes possible. I will say that having a nano really makes it hard position your camera within the tank, though.
    [​IMG]

"Crazy Clown" acan growing a few babies around it. This is awesome to see because when this frag was shipped to me, it was in near freezing water, and was the only coral to survive past a couple hours. I don't believe it colored up fully after that, but am hoping the new heads are even more colorful.
    [​IMG]

Probably one of my favorite pieces in the tank (probably why it's in the center of one of my two rock structures). Pictures don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]

Some blasto's I received from ASD a couple months ago.
    [​IMG]

Another really hard coral to get good pictures of. This WWC Banana Boom has taken off recently, growing 2 more eyes and fully encrusting the rock.
    [​IMG]

My yellow tail blue damsel, because I feel I never show her much love

#24 Fishfoo, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Greentree

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    WOW! That's quite a lot of progress! Impressive :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yeah... smaller and shallower tanks are tough to get good top-down photos; especially those that are close to the water's surface. But it looks like you've got a good grasp at getting good shots from above. Those acans and blastos are looking really nice!

7. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Only the torch and female rhomboid are technically "new" but it is good to see a little growth out of some of my favorite pieces.

Thanks, Jason. Yeah it's also very challenging to get a great shot of corals that are near the sides of the tank as well. Another reason to upgrade, right? :)

8. Greentree

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Woo hoo! Upgrade? Need a 65 with stand? :D

9. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Until I decide on a permanent residence, I'll probably stick to an AIO style tank. So no more than 40 gallons as it's much easier to move all in ones

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. fishteer

fishteer Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    What a lovely setup, gorgeous fish, and nice photography!

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Kind of a big update, starting with this:

[​IMG]

I loved my nano cube, but as most of us find out, the itch to upgrade was just too hard not to scratch. I went with the IM NUVO 40 gallon because of the rimless look and dimensions of the tank. That and it will still be fairly easy to move. So far I love it, but find the return pump chamber to be poorly designed due to the large amount of unreachable area for detritus to build up in. Oh well, will just have to stay on top of my mechanical filtration. I also added a mp40 to pair with my mp10. Kind of overkill but I figure I can use the mp40 for future builds as well, and I like the asynchronous flow they create together. Lastly I added a skimmer to the mix (HOB-1 Skimmer) and could not be more impressed with the results. With the added flow and skimming I’ve seen some of the best polyp extension from SPS to date.

For the stand, I decided to build my own. I went with walnut for a majority of it due to having leftover legs and wood from when I helped my father make some bar stools. I then chose mahogany for the top and skirt because I couldn't readily find more walnut and I'm too impatient to wait for more . I really like how it turned out in the end, however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if it's coincidence or just seasonal, but both my trochus snails and flower anemone spawned a little over a week ago. Judging from other forum posts observing the same behavior, I'd guess it's the latter.

[​IMG]

Livestock-wise, all of the coral seem to be very happy and growing. I've continuously been moving things around since the transfer, but finally think I'm content with the current placements. On the fish end, however, not so good. The female rhomboid never really put on weight since getting her, and ended up passing. I waited a few weeks and then purchased one of my all time favorites, Cirrhilabrus jordani. When I received him, he was not looking great at all. I still wanted to give him a chance, and put him in the acclimation box with a large curved pvc pipe. To my surprise, he ended up pulling through and now is doing better than ever. Problem is, he's doing so well that I believe he may be the culprit for my male rhomboid passing. I had my male rhomboid for about 6 months now, and he was always in great health. Then, since adding the flame wrasse, his health began to decline, and he developed a bacterial infection around one of his gills (possibly Lymphocystis, which is usually not fatal). Shortly thereafter, even after giving him some privacy in the acclimation box, he passed as well. It definitely could also have been that since the main recipient of aggression, the female, died, that he was next on the totem pole. Or the new addition. I don't know for certain, but now I'm back to four fish and will probably keep it that way for a long time.

[​IMG]

Flame wrasse

[​IMG]
    Zoa I picked up at the swap

It has now been about a year and a half since starting up this tank. Throughout that time a lot has changed, but I’m very pleased with how it’s turned out. I’m at the point now, where I just have to wait and let things grow, especially my SPS. I’ve looked everywhere, but I honestly don’t think there’s another inch of space on my rocks for more corals. Good for my wallet, bad for my patience. I’ll probably switch to more of a “month-to-month” update from here on out, unless something eventful happens.

#31 Fishfoo, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Looking good, Keenan.
    That's a nice way to re-purpose the walnut table. I think I know someone that has a little bit of walnut laying around; not much, but I have some.

Bummer on the Rhomboids, but Flames are gorgeous.
    And that zoa is incredible. Once that starts to grow out, that will be some amazing yellow color added to the reef.

13. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Yeah I just went with the mahogany top because with the tank on it you wont be able to see much of it anyways. Plus I do like the contrast of the two. Walnut will always be one of my favorites, though.

I was very bummed about the rhomboids, especially the male. He seemed to be in peak health the entire time I had him, up until this past week. Sucks but it happens. And yes, I'm very excited to watch the yellow zoa grow out! Yellow's been pretty hard to find so I jumped on the opportunity with this guy

14. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice job with the pics... Tank looks great!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Small update:

After the passing of my rhomboid, I wanted do everything in my power to reduce the chance of another fish-induced death in my tank. To accomplish this, I sold off the clownfish and yellow tail blue damsel, leaving the Flame wrasse as the only tank inhabitant. This allowed the flame to familiarize itself with the tank and its layout for the next couple of weeks (the other two fish kept him locked up in a cave for the majority of his stay before they were evicted).

After a few weeks had passed, I decided it was time to add another fish. I saw a great deal on a supermale Cirrhilabrus isosceles from NYAquatic, and with the Father’s Day discount, it was too good to pass up. I know that mixing species of the same complex is counter-intuitive to what I’m trying to accomplish, but so far it’s working out well and they’re getting along fine (besides a few chases by the pintail here and there). Most of the time they’re swimming closely together, and even share the same cave to sleep occasionally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up a SC Dynamite chalice a month or so ago. It’s just a nub at the moment, but I’m excited to watch it (slowly) grow!

[​IMG]

Besides that, not much has changed. Everything seems to be doing well for the most part. I still can’t seem to keep torch corals alive. Which is sad considering they’re one of my favorites. I also made some frags of corals that were growing well and needed trimming (WWC Halle Berries, WWC Everlasting Gobstopper, Tyree BGM, ECR Crazy Clown, etc.). This was my first real go at fragging, and I would chalk it up as an overall success.

Part of my WWC Halle Berries colony
    [​IMG]

Next update I will try to get a FTS

• Like Like x 3
  16. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The Pintail looks amazing! Now that you've removed the others and its just the 2 wrasses are there any other fish on your wishlist?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aaron L.

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Beautiful job thus far! Excited to see that Zoa colony grow out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! It didn't take long for him to get comfortable in the new environment, and he eats like a pig which is always great to see. As far as the next fish: I know it definitely will not be a wrasse. I want a different body shape in the tank, and preferably one that picks at/eats algae. I would also like the fish to be a different color than the two wrasse. I'm open to suggestions if you have any :)

Thank you! The picture shows only half of the colony. They've been growing really well for me lately.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aaron L.

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Great! Are you feeding them regularly or doing any special supplements. I never like doing that in my nano because I was too lazy for water changes

20. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Nothing crazy. Just weekly water changes and LRS Reef Frenzy. I tend to overfeed a tad so that my corals get some of it. I highly recommend it if you aren't already using it.

I have Reef Chili as well but, just like you, I get too lazy to feed it.