Fishfoo's 40g Rimless

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Fishfoo, Dec 12, 2016.

1. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Wow, 6 months since my last update... Guess I've been slacking a bit! I'll try my best to bring this thread back up to speed.

Summer always seems to be the hardest season for my tank to get through. Corals lose color, stop growing, and some quit out all together. I attribute a lot of this to me turning the AC on and off throughout the summer, which constantly alters tank temps and pH. But who knows for sure. Luckily, I got past it with no notable fish/coral loss this year. And now that it's winter, things are really starting to hit their stride again.

[​IMG]

Currently for livestock, I have a Flame wrasse (boss of the tank), Pintail Fairy wrasse, and a Royal Gramma. I also had a Venustus Angelfish for about 3 months who ate like a pig and seemed to be doing really well. But a couple weeks ago he stopped eating and ended up passing. No clue why... Then there's the White Cap goby, who I'm not sure is alive or dead. I hear the pistol shrimp that it was paired to snap every now and then, but haven't seen them for months.

As for coral, I haven't really added much. I did pickup an rainbow acan from the acanlord live sale this fall, which shows some promise. While I was there, I also picked up my first RBTA. I'm really happy with it, although it seems to be growing way too fast for my small tank!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last weekend I was saved by my apex (and Ecotech Battery Backup) yet again. I was at my girlfriends cabin for the weekend and on the last night while I was sleeping I received a notification that my apex was no longer connected to fusion. That next morning I was able to get someone to check on things, and sure enough a fuse blew, which took all of my equipment offline aside from the mp40, which was being powered by the battery backup. I was able to setup a short term solution over the phone to at least get the heater and return pump back online while I drove home, and once I got home I was able to get everything back up and running again.

The tank got down to ~65 degrees at one point, but somehow all of the fish and coral survived. The only thing that didn't survive was my EB8 outlet, but I had a spare incase something like this ever happened. What always amazes me is how things only seem to go wrong when I go out of town (and the same seems to be true for others as well). If I'm home, aside from feeding and water changes, I won't touch my tank for weeks at a time, and nothing breaks or malfunctions. But the second step outside my door all bets are off :confused:

Current Problems: The dreaded bubble algae. With the corals doing as well as they are, I'm hesitant to make any changes to the tank. For now I've just been manually removing it, but it's really starting to annoy me. Any advice from others who have tackled their bubble algae problems would be appreciated!

2. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Looking good! Awesome photos man!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Emerald crabs are the typical solution for the bubble algae, however they sometimes develop a taste for coral polyps too, sigh.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk