I had wanted to start with a 55 gallon+ for my first reef tank. All the reading I had done it was pretty clear that bigger was better for a beginner. I started looking into all in ones because honestly, I had no clue what anything did or what went where, at least with getting an all in one I would hopefully be on the right track. After looking at possible tank locations in my house I realized the nano was perfect. This tank lives on top of my bar in the basement. I ordered the Fluval Evo, it did not come with a heater or protein skimmer – I did purchase these items and have included these in the initial set up. Initial Setup – Having read nano tanks can be really hard and talking with my LFS I decided to essentially do a tank transfer in hopes it would save some frustration. I used live sand, live rock and water from their tanks. The clean up crew was then added and consisted of blue-legged hermit crabs (3), black-footed snails (2) and a narcissus snail. The tank was then left alone for two-three weeks. Water parameters were monitored and it did go through a mini cycle and two starfish appeared and aiptasia (sweet freebies!) I quick learned how awesome aiptsia is and killed it. The starfish, the plan was to see if the population could maintain itself because I was thinking about getting a harlequin shrimp. First Fish and Corals – Having survived the hurdle and managing to not kill my clean up crew I decided to add the tanks first fish and coral inhabitants. For fish I selected two Clarkii clownfish and for coral I selected green star polyp, a hairy mushroom and clove polyp. By this time, the starfish seemed to have disappeared and I have not seen any since. A few weeks later I added a Kenya tree, an echinopora and a green nephthea. First Issues – Everything was going great until about two weeks after the last additions were made. I encountered my first issue(s) – high nitrates and cyno algae. I figured I must have been over feeding my clownfish in combination with feeding them inefficiently. I increased the frequency of water changes and began to feed clownfish using a baster. Hoping this would decrease the cyno algae it seem to only make it worst, the plan was to wait and not use any chemicals but then the cyno started growing on to my corals. I ended up treating the tank with chemi-clean. I was amazed with how effective it was. I treated the tank in two doses. At this time I also added a wave maker to get rid of nitrate pockets. After the second issued occurred and was more self-inflicted than anything. I accidently did the 20% water change with freshwater. I immediately realized what had happened and did another water change to try and correct it, it ended up throwing the salinity off to 1.020. Boy, were my corals and clean up crew mad at me for the next few days. I did one-gallon water changes for the next week and then waited another two weeks for everything to stabilize before adding any new inhabitants. Recent Additions – This weekend two fish– a rainfordi goby and an orchid dottyback and two corals – pulsing xenia and pocillopora were added. This is probably it for fish that will be added to the tank, so far my clownfish have been jerks to the goby. Luckily he has plenty of hiding spots and he is quick enough to get out of the way. There will be a close eye kept on him for the next few days as well. I’m hoping to add more corals to the tank as well – eventually I hope to add frogspawn and a hammer coral to the mix. I have decided against getting an anemone mainly because I read too much about them meeting the wave maker. My clownfish are really into the hairy mushroom and have hosted in it for the past month or so.