-SPONSOR- Freshwater In Stock @ MiniWaters.fish - 9/14/16

Discussion in 'MiniWaters' started by MiniWaters, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MiniWaters

MiniWaters Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I know you're all Saltwater Folk, right...but many of you ALSO keep (or have KEPT) Freshwater fish as well! This post is for YOU!

Anyone in the SpeeDee delivery region gets these fish shipped dirt cheap...I mean a 20 lb box might overnight to you for $9...that's a LOT of fish. We're a legit business here, so I do have to collect MN sales tax if shipping to MN. There is a $75 minimum order at http://www.MiniWaters.fish. Wholesale pricing is available on SOME of these fish to your local LFS, and they are encouraged to beat our online retail pricing - support your LFS!

All our FW fish are very well conditioned...nothing goes up for sale immediately, at least a couple weeks here, but some fish have been here for months putting on weight and growing up.

I'm really happy with the BARBS we have right now!

Drape Fins - $5 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/oerichthys-crenuchoides-drape-fin-barb/
    [​IMG]

Checkerboards - $4 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/oliotius-oligolepis-checkerboard-barb/
    [​IMG]

Melon Barbs - $7 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/haludaria-fasciata-melon-barb/
    [​IMG]

Captive-bred (aka. Tank Raised) Roseline Sharks (aka. Denison Barbs)
    - $19 to $25 depending on size - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/sahyadria-denisonii-roseline-shark-aka-denison-barb/
    [​IMG]

On the DANIO front, more goodies!

Glowlight Danios - $5 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/celestichthys-danio-choprae-glowlight-danio/
    [​IMG]

Celestial Pearl Danios aka. Galaxy Rasboras - $7 each - good size, nice a "fat" if you can say that about these tiny fish! The last 6 on hand have been here for about 2-3 months now; another wave due to arrive and will be grown out as well. - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/danio-margaritatus-celestial-pearl-danio-galaxy-rasbora/
    [​IMG]

LOACHES! I love certain loaches, and love that they destroy snails. All the loaches in stock have been on hand for months, and we're just now getting down to the last few of each variety. When I say "well-conditioned" I mean it ;)

Zebra Loaches - $7 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/botia-striata-zebra-loach/
    [​IMG]

Yo-Yo or Lohachata Loaches - $6 each - just two left! - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/botia-lohachata-yo-yo-loach/
    [​IMG]

SUMO LOACH! I cannot tell you how awesome these lovely little fish are! Someone needs to BREED these (and that might just be possible), down to the last few - $12 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/schistura-cf-balteata-sumo-loach-ii/
    [​IMG]

RASBORAS are here too, with excellent options for small tanks!

Emerald Eye Rasboras - $3 each - these tend to come in small, kinda skinny, so I fatten 'em up for you! Lovely little fish with minimalist coloration, but looks great in groups. http://www.miniwaters.fish/product-category/freshwater-live/fish-freshwater-live/rasboras/
    [​IMG]

TETRAS are all over the place here, and several aren't even listed on the site still! I love that I can get the typical ones from various suppliers..and they can be "'aight"...but if you give them good clean Duluth tap water, which is nice and soft, they just thrive and flourish and turn into stunning fish. I'm rather proud of the quality of the Tetras I tend to offer for just that reason. Nothing small, poorly colored, or thin here.

Rummynose Tetras - $4 each - again, these aren't fresh ones that might be touchy..they've been here for MONTHS now. Tannin stained water will really bring out their color - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/hemigrammus-bleheri-rummynose-tetra/
    [​IMG]

Black Neon Tetras - $3 each - what can I say - these are the biggest Black Neons I've ever personally seen - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/hyphessobrycon-herbertaxelrodi-black-neon-tetra/
    [​IMG]

Black Phanton Tetras - $8 each - SHOW size (in my opinion). They've been grown out for probably about a year. INSTANT impressive sized fish (for a Tetra..let's keep SOME perspective) - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/hyphessobrycon-megalopterus-black-phantom-tetra/
    [​IMG]

Lemon Tetras - $2 - the first batch I got this year all died right away; this group stayed healthy and is now full sized and very nicely yellow (image is a few months back now). I should raise the price on these...but I won't - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/hyphessobrycon-pulchripinnis-lemon-tetra/
    [​IMG]

HY511 Candy Cane Tetras - $6 each - nice big ones with great fins and loads of color (when kept in the right conditions..otherwise they can wash out) - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/hyphessobrycon-sp-hy511-candy-cane-tetra/
    [​IMG]

Red Beckford's Pencilfish - $5 each - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/nannostomus-beckfordi-red-beckfords-pencilfish/
    [​IMG]

Other MISC items include:

Archerfish - $25 - I also have Clouded Archers and Microlepis Archerfish, but not really eager to actually sell those. This guy, however, is ready for a new home, and has been doing great in a tank with, of all things, Aulonocara peacocks - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/toxotes-jaculatrix-banded-archerfish/
    [​IMG]

"True Siamese Algae Eater" - $6 each - when these were smaller, I was only asking $4, but I've really grown these out now to about double the size when they first arrived!! - http://www.miniwaters.fish/product/crossocheilus-spp-siamese-algae-eater-flying-fox/
    [​IMG]

But that's not all....

NOT IN STOCK, BUT AVAILABLE - it take a long time to get new fish listed on the website, so I actually have quite an extensive list of fish that I can sell, but haven't gotten around to adding yet. Right now that includes Veilfin Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, Dwarf Emerald Rasboras, Strawberry/Dwarf-type Rasbora - Boraras cf. maculatus, Mexican Dwarf Orange Crawfish, Ruby Tetras, captive-bred Mono Sebae, Honeycomb Tatia Woodcats, Snakeskin Barbs, Koi Angelfish, Albino Angelfish, Mosquitofish...probably others I'm forgetting too! I can do special orders with deposits...please inquire.

Of course, I also do a LOT of saltwater too, and almost all of what I offer is CAPTIVE-BRED - check it out -> http://www.miniwaters.fish/product-category/saltwater-marine-live/

QUESTIONS - please do not hesitate to post here, email matt@miniwaters.fish, or call the business line at 218-206-1225! Thanks for looking!

2. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So many fish that I'd love to give a home to here (Especially the archerfish! I LOVE archerfish. Super cool fish, that also strike me as being really intelligent.). But I'm only barely keeping up on my home tanks these days...

Do you ever get in the captive bred monos?

I have a 180 at home with a bunch of yellow Labidichromis (which at this point I sort of wish I didn't have) and about a dozen wonderful Synodontis petricola (which I absolutely love - some are 5 - 10 years old now, and there has been a bit of reproduction, even with all the cichlids around).

This tank strikes me as calling out for a school of monos..... (and I imagine the Malawi cichlids and Tanganyikan catfish could probably handle a little bit of salt? Don't know for certain about the catfish.)

Actually, I'd love to turn this into a full blown brackish tank featuring monos and a group of archerfish...

Well, some day...

3. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Such wonderful loaches too!

And, well, such wonderful everything, really.

4. OP
    MiniWaters

MiniWaters Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    BILL! Capman! I can get both Captive-bred Monodactylus argenteus and M. sebae. I already have 2 captive-bred M. sebae on hand (one is quite large), but you're right about these really being better in a school. I got in three of them at the time, and all they did was bicker.

The ones I get come acclimated to SW, but honestly, the breeder tells me you can simply throw them in any salinity you want without acclimation, and I can say that I've done that with individual fish here and not had any issues. Of course, I have no problems adjusting them here first and then shipping them to you in the salinity you want. If you're seriously interested, let me know, as they're available "right now" and it'd be good to bring them in sooner rather than later so you don't miss out.

I have to double check prices, but based on what I'm seeing right now, the captive-bred Argenteus actually cost more than the Sebae; the Argenteus are said to be nickel size, and if I just do a blind markup on them, the retail price I'd quote would be $19 each; while ironically the Sebae *might* be as low as $10, although $15 sounds closer to correct. For you, and for a quantity, I'd simply work on a package price, to get you that captive-bred school you want. Feel free to email me or call - matt@miniwaters.fish / 218-206-1225.

As far as the fish are concerned, first, you do realize that S. petricola is a Tanganyikan catfish, so it does appreciate high mineral water. People routinely add "Cichlid salts" to rift lake tanks...obviously no problems with the rift lake catfishes that are used to this sort of water chemistry. I did some digging, but couldn't find anything conclusive about how these Synos handle "salt" like "aquarium salt". I think the Monos don't need much and probably could be fine in straight FW with the addition of Cichlid salts, although mature Monos are definitely brackish fish (they spawn in SW).

The Petricolas are also one of the cuckoo catfishes...the reproduction you've been seeing isn't "in spite" of the cichlids, but in fact is probably facilitated on some levels by the cichlids (this and lucippinus and multipinctatus all, IIRC, are brood parasites, where they spawn their eggs when the cichlids are spawning, female picks up catfish eggs, and broods catfish). Oh, and you should look into lucippinis...you might actually have that, not petricola.

IF you do ever want the archers...well...there too..you either do a group, or you do a single. And the single one I have would do totally fine with the fish you've listed (although it will eat anything small enough to fit in its mouth).

5. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Really cool and interesting. And tempting.

I'm just not sure whether I can justify taking on more fish at the moment given my lack of time for them at home. Really considering this though.

It also seems that long term, as the monos mature, this would really need to be turned into a brackish tank, and not just a freshwater tank with a little salt added. I'd be fine with getting rid of the Labidichromis altogether to make this possible. but I'd need to find alternate lodging in another tank for the Synodontis I'm thinking (I really don't want to get rid of these).

To reduce bickering among the monos, do you think you need some critical number of each species (do they just bicker among their own species... meaning that presence of the other species would be sort of irrelevant?) or can the critical school size (whatever that is) be achieved using a mix of the two species?

I've read articles describing how people have bred S. petricola that did not involve any cichlids at all - they described them as being egg scatterers. And I've seen what has seemed to surely be catfish spawning activity when there were no cichlids spawning (massive amounts of activity, really plump fish that I assumed were females, being chased around and nuzzled and such by the really sleek, slender individuals, for, like, a whole day). And when I've seen the cichlids spawning (formerly there as a bigger variety of Malawi species in this tank) I never saw the catfish come out to get involved.

But perhaps they have some flexibility in how they breed?

6. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  7. OP
    MiniWaters

MiniWaters Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Yes, have seen it, but they did an even MORE impressive one with Monos and Scats that used boulders and a white background - was amazing.

I'll ask the breeder what he things is a good long-term number for mono schools. My guess would be at least half a dozen, probably per species (just got an answer, he said 5 minimum).

Yes, S. petricola and the others are not obligate brood parasites. They're all easily bred as egg scatterers!

I really don't know how brackish you'd have to go long term for these..I mean for some of the Archer species I have they're kept with simply 1 T of salt per gallon of water...then again I've used that level even with DISCUS, so...it's not very high. The one common Archer I have right now shares his tank with Aulonocara..and I probably only put a couple T of salt in the whole tank. So...long term..I don't know that you'd necessarily have to hit a level of salinity that would preclude the other fishes unless you really WANTED to go that route...of course they also can go into full salt too, at which point the tank has evolved all over again.

#7 MiniWaters, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Do you know whether any of the archerfish can go full salt (long-term, permanently)?

If so, this would definitely get me thinking about revising my plans for one of the tanks in the new science building...

Regarding monos... I'd love to have a group of monos in our large reef tank in the new building, but they get so large, and I think I've already overstocked that tank in my mind several times over. And I suspect they might eat small shrimp (I'm not putting anything in that tank that woudl preclude me from having an abundance of shrimp in there for students to observe (e.g. misc Lysmata species).

(Regarding shrimp... my plan is to also include some penaeid shrimp (yes, the kind we eat!). They are lovely, graceful animals (they love fine sand to burrow in) that as far as I've been able to tell are totally harmless in a reef aquarium!)

#8 capman, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  9. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Regarding cichlids.... yes, I've been amazed over the years by how much salt even freshwater angelfish can handle without any signs of stress. I guess it makes sense given their saltwater ancestry.

(In contrast, when I tried using similar levels of salt to attempt to rid some sunfish of parasitic leaches, wow, those sunfish didn't like that at all. Serious amounts of stress. They almost died. Sunfish kind of look like cichlids, kind of sort of behave like some cichlids, but wow, they really aren't cichlids!)

10. OP
    MiniWaters

MiniWaters Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    No, although there's suggestions that they do spawn in saltwater, and individual annecdotes of keeping them in salt for extended periods. 1.005 to 1.010 is generally the level suggested for T. jaculatrix and T. chartareus; T. microlepis gets a suggestion of 1.002 to 1.005 in some circles, but "full fresh" in others, and T. blythii (Clouded) are said to be full fresh.

Yes, I could see both archers and monos pounding shrimp.

11. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Archers, absolutely, no doubt about it. They'd eat shrimp.

I've never kept monos (though M. sebae in particular has fascinated me for decades), but yes, their mouths certainly look like predaceous mouths!

12. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Incidentally, my archers I had in the past would sometimes even use their spitting ability underwater to get to food on the bottom they couldn't reach otherwise.

An interesting thing about my experiences with a limited number of archerfish over the years: In my experience, archerfish seem to show remarkably big differences in individual personality sometimes. I had two for some years (which rapidly needed to be separated into different tanks). One was, from the start, and for all the time I had it, remarkably shy, while the other was consistently really bold (both living in pretty much identical conditions). I find these fish really fascinating, and not just because they can spit water (though yes, that's a big part of it!).

• Like Like x 1
  13. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Sorry for taking over your thread. Well, at least it keeps bumping it to the top! (And maybe this will get someone interested in your archerfish!)

14. OP
    MiniWaters

MiniWaters Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Ha, bump away Bill! I should note that the Monos have more terminal mouths and in relation to their body size, it's actually pretty small.

15. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I really am considering the monos. I've wanted to do this for years.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the cichlids and moving the catfish, and turning this tank into a full blown brackish tank. Or possibly even going to full strength saltwater. The latter would preclude the archers I guess, but would open up the option of, say, adding a niger triggerfish (a fish I've admired for years, but that there will probably never be a place for in the lab as it would be incompatible with certain aspects of the mission of those tanks).

I would not have the time or energy (or money) to turn this into a full blown reef tank (I simply wouldn't want to take this on at home, especially given what I'm going to have going on in the lab in our new building), but a tank of hardy saltwater fish (where I wouldn't have be worrying about managing water quality for corals, or dealing with high intensity lights (and the algae that come with them if you don't keep nutrients super low) would be totally doable.

I probably couldn't put any time into this until Christmas break though.