Gallons of water

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by ArcKatana, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    So I've moved back to Minnesota from Florida, and I close on my house Thursday. I've got some ideas on what I want to do tank wise, just depends on whom I can get to make me the tank I want. After looking around I like the SCA Tanks, and am going to email to see if I can get a custom made one in the dimensions I want.
    (47x23x36)

I plan on tying a couple tanks together, but I'll wait until I move in to take measurements to see what will work.

So pretty boring until I get moved in, but planning now so I can change my mind in the future.

I'm the pin on the map. Welcome to northern Mn. map.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Good to have you back!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

4. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
  5. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  6. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    So I got a couple of quotes back from SCA, and I think a custom tank is out of the question. So now I'm looking at a standard 150X High (48x24x30) or the SCA 112g (60x18x24). I want the 150XH as I'd like to try and breed fish, and it is tall enough to allow a good rise for smaller fish. The 112 is just a pretty cool looking tank.

I just need to find out if the 150XH sides are tempered. If they are, then they are out, as the egg collector needs to sit off to the side. More research time.

7. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    Really leaning towards the 150, as I'd be able to do a semi deep (3-4") sand bed as I want a harem of leopard wrasses. The foot print of that tank will suit them very well. Not 100% sold on brand, as I've got a two hour drive to fargo, or a three hour drive to the cities. Brainerd is about an hour away and they just opened a petsmart/petco their, so less of a drive.

8. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    So finally moved into the house last Thursday. Managed to stumble into a Petco on Sunday (St. Cloud) and picked up two of the 75G tanks at half price for the sale. I wasn't really looking for them, but worst case scenario I've got two killer sumps. Still waiting to hear back on a price for a Deep Blue 150XH, but a semi local store (about an hour) has a 125 for a decent price, which I might go for that. It's undrilled, which is even better. It is 6x18x24, which would fit with the sump size. Time to make some decisions it seems.

9. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    Made a little progress. Stand frame is done, need to skin it and finish it off. The bottom right of the stand is where the sump will go. The cross beam will be moved towards the tank on the bottom, so I'll have about 3' of space with about 20" of width for the sump. I've always wanted to try a big all in one system, so I'll be doing that here. The tanks are 75g each, and I've got a 30G cube that will go where the ferns are now. I'm also building a canopy for the top, so everything will be hidden. Both tanks will be visible from each side. Going with a reclaimed wood finish, just need to find enough for the canopy and the skin.

Equipment wise I'll need lights for both 75's. The bottom will be challenge as I've only go so much height to work with. It won't be easy to get in there, so I'm making that a refugium for the system. I'll have a couple fish in there, just not sure what yet. The top 75 is going to be a Leopard Wrasse harem (not sure on kind yet) and some Bluehead Tilefish. I'll probably toss in a pair of clowns to act as dither fish, or maybe a trio or two of firefish.

20171011_171126.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Very cool.

Regarding firefish: Have you kept groups like that before? I've just had terrible aggression problems when I've tried this.

11. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Love the originality of the stand, looking forward to seeing it skinned.

12. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Just looking at the photo again. Seems it will be very difficult working on the lower 75. Not much clearance overhead. And getting rocks in and out might not be possible (?).

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    The easiest way I've found to get them in groups/pairs is to simply watch them at the dealers tank. If there is a pair hanging out near each other (no aggression), then 99% you've got a male/female or female/female pair. If you constantly see one chase others off, its most likely a male chasing other males off. I've not seen a male chase other females off. So if you see three fish hanging out without any aggression, you're probably ok. When I was breeding purples, the male drove the other males out of the tank (i.e. made them jump out). He always left the females alone.

Regarding the tank height, I've got 4" of space, so I'll use a thin led strip light or two. Its going to be a refugium, so I don't plan on getting in there much :)

14. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    My experience with firefish was with getting three that were all hanging out fine in the tank in the shop. Once they were in my tanks one became a tyrant. I suspect maybe they were not all that well settled into the tank in the shop though, so perhaps they were not expressing their dominance there.

15. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    Not a lot to update on. Still looking for the right wood (might use the old dock that came with the house, but it is kind of dark). Debating about lights for the 75's. Probably LEDs, as I'm not keen on replacing bulbs. I think I've got the water pattern sorted, just not sure of using the 30 cube or replacing it with something else. Set up my 6gal jbj nano cube in the kitchen, started cycle yesterday. Needs a new light (PC bulb is dead, and gives off way to much heat when running). Thinking of just a single big leather coral on a little island, with some fire shrimp in there.

16. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    You might trying to YouTube refinishing old boards or working with reclaimed wood. I bet you could clean them right up for a unique look. Most seem to involve bleach and water followed by power wash or sanding or all of the above.

17. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    Ordering some stuff Monday, going to break out the drill and make some holes. Still unsure on the sump, as I've got a few different ideas I want to try out. Have done zero with the exterior of the stand, but have started the frame for the canopy/doors/stand. I keep getting distracted because there is a bald eagle nesting about 100 yards from my house, and every time he/she flies by the birds and squirrels go bananas and fly/run into my windows. (Seriously, like three or four times a day) I might just stain the stand and hold off on the reclaimed wood, as the two quotes I've gotten are crazy for the small amount of wood I would need. Slow and steady. Hoping for water the end of this month.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The cost of reclaimed materials has gone through the roof over the past few years; thanks "Fixer Upper". But there is good news...
    Home Depot actually sells lumber that has a manuafactured weathered appearance. I'm not sure of the cost, but I've seen it and it's a good alternative. I don't believe that the material is finished, so you could add more stain color, paint colors or scratches and dents prior to finishing the project. It might be worth taking a look if you want the reclaimed wood appearance.

19. OP
    ArcKatana

Fishies collected:
    So the semi monthly update. Thanks to Jlanger for reminding me about Depot selling the faux reclaimed wood. I picked some up this morning and have been fooling around with it. Also, new tank! Its 6x18x15, roughly 78 gallons. Turning that into the display refugium, with a 75 underneath for breeding fish. I need to give the tank a good week or so cycling vinegar through it to remove the residual crud.
    Also, I moved the stand over to the wall. I block the window (but can still open it and the drapes), as where it was just made the everything feel smaller (and it is a tiny house, so I need all the room I can get!). Bonus, I only have to skin two sides!

I've decided to go with some retro-ey looking conduit for hanging the lights. I've got one made but no pics of that. I'm thinking maybe three 150 halides for the refugium? You can see some of the faux reclaimed wood already on the stand. The tough tote is there to use as a sump while I circulate vinegar through the tank. It's acrylic, penisula style with the drain and over flow on the right side. The only drawback of the faux is the dark wood is crazy dark. I'd have preferred more lighter/tan/gray, but only one or two per box, compared to three or four (eight total) of the dark stuff. Still need to pick up door hardware for the sump door, and some think plywood for the back to help with heat and stop salt creep from getting everywhere.

I'd be tempted to use kessil a150W's but they don't make them anymore, and I'm not keen on spending 500+ on lights for the tank. It might be cheap china LEDS for the top.

20171113_043614.jpg